Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #48,241 of 48,562
@Helvetica bold Ey,I saw your Digital Foundry question on the new direct! It had to be you right? :anguished:

At 47:32

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #48,242 of 48,562
Let me ask you smart people one more thing. I have studied the x7 thread and so me places online and can't get a straight answer. Is the only difference between the black x7 and the white limited edition one the beefier power brick? I mean I doubt they changed the internals to get that headphone out ohm from 2.2 to 1 but I guess they might of? Is it just the power supply attributing to this or are there other internals that were changed? Basically if I take the limited edition plug and use it on my black x7 do I now have the limited edition or is there more to it than that?

Dec 28, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #48,243 of 48,562
If it were up to me today, I'd run the mic to a Schiit Hel. And if Hel is the only thing you got, use built in virtual surround on the new consoles, and something like Redscape on pc.

I'm still hoping Schiit makes a beefy dac/amp with a mic input. Like Asgard/Jotunheim sized. Hell, make it an interface.
Thanks, I may get that for work. Currently using a mdr1000x with a boom pro x mic. I have it running through my pixel 3. I use a soft phone app for answering calls.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #48,245 of 48,562
Let me ask you smart people one more thing. I have studied the x7 thread and so me places online and can't get a straight answer. Is the only difference between the black x7 and the white limited edition one the beefier power brick? I mean I doubt they changed the internals to get that headphone out ohm from 2.2 to 1 but I guess they might of? Is it just the power supply attributing to this or are there other internals that were changed? Basically if I take the limited edition plug and use it on my black x7 do I now have the limited edition or is there more to it than that?
Anyone know? I am curious about this also.

Jan 1, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #48,247 of 48,562
Happy New Year everyone hoping this year is off to a great start with the new Audeze Maxwell's. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I forgot about my Koss KPH40! I recently played some NFS UnBound on Series X with the KPH40's and they sound great. Perhaps I need to remind myself of the simple pleasures this year.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #48,248 of 48,562
Can I ask some questions about Redscape? I currently have an issue with all forms of Spatial Audio (Dolby,DTS,Sonic) on windows 11 where I can activate or "turn it on" in windows sound settings but the sound doesn't change at all. No company's support is helpful in anyway so I'm looking for something that is application processed like HeSuVi (which works fine).

I'm currently running my JDS Element 3 over USB/Optical, but I can't change both options to 7.1. will this hinder Redscape in anyway? Does Redscape run through the application similar to HeSuVi?

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #48,249 of 48,562
So I've been using a Soundblasterx G6 for a number of years now so I can get audio from my PC as well as dolby digital decoding from my TV into the same output. The optical out goes out from the G6 to a Modi/Magni stack to my headphones. I've recently been having issues with blue screens related to the G6 driver so I'm just weighing up what my options are really, I'll still try and fix it up but wondering if it's time for an upgrade too I guess. I know the GC7 came out a bit ago which also has optical out, but I heard that the new SXFI can't be output over it, is that still the case? Otherwise is there any other devices out with those features, or is it still just Creative? I know I used to use an Astro Mixamp prior to the G6, but having to send auto via analog wasn't great, was pretty happy when I upgraded and didn't have to mess with that any more.

Edit: Oh and I did notice people were talking about the X7 above, but I'd say that's probably too big for my use case.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #48,250 of 48,562
Can I ask some questions about Redscape? I currently have an issue with all forms of Spatial Audio (Dolby,DTS,Sonic) on windows 11 where I can activate or "turn it on" in windows sound settings but the sound doesn't change at all. No company's support is helpful in anyway so I'm looking for something that is application processed like HeSuVi (which works fine).

I'm currently running my JDS Element 3 over USB/Optical, but I can't change both options to 7.1. will this hinder Redscape in anyway? Does Redscape run through the application similar to HeSuVi?
You set Redscape's Virtual Sound Device to 7.1, and you set your DAC to stereo. You then have Redscape output to your DAC. Set Redscape as your default audio. Nice part is when I play music, I stream direct to my DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #48,251 of 48,562
So I've been using a Soundblasterx G6 for a number of years now so I can get audio from my PC as well as dolby digital decoding from my TV into the same output. The optical out goes out from the G6 to a Modi/Magni stack to my headphones. I've recently been having issues with blue screens related to the G6 driver so I'm just weighing up what my options are really, I'll still try and fix it up but wondering if it's time for an upgrade too I guess. I know the GC7 came out a bit ago which also has optical out, but I heard that the new SXFI can't be output over it, is that still the case? Otherwise is there any other devices out with those features, or is it still just Creative? I know I used to use an Astro Mixamp prior to the G6, but having to send auto via analog wasn't great, was pretty happy when I upgraded and didn't have to mess with that any more.

Edit: Oh and I did notice people were talking about the X7 above, but I'd say that's probably too big for my use case.
Creative does not permit output of SXFi over digital output, just the analog headphone port. You can output SBX over digital, like on your G6.

I retired my G6, and use Redscape on my PC, and have it output to my DAC over USB. I also have Dolby Access and DTS Sound Abound for movies and games that support either.

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #48,252 of 48,562
Creative does not permit output of SXFi over digital output, just the analog headphone port. You can output SBX over digital, like on your G6.

I retired my G6, and use Redscape on my PC, and have it output to my DAC over USB. I also have Dolby Access and DTS Sound Abound for movies and games that support either.
Fair, I dunno why they don't allow it over optical, just seems a weird constraint.

Since I have a Modi/Magni stack the main use of the device is to get audio from my TV (PS5/Series X and the TV apps basically), if it wasn't for that I probably would have just used some software solution really since I'm not using the analog output of the device anyway.

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #48,253 of 48,562
Fair, I dunno why they don't allow it over optical, just seems a weird constraint.

Since I have a Modi/Magni stack the main use of the device is to get audio from my TV (PS5/Series X and the TV apps basically), if it wasn't for that I probably would have just used some software solution really since I'm not using the analog output of the device anyway.
Creative just released an X5, but I haven't looked hard at it.

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #48,254 of 48,562
Creative just released an X5, but I haven't looked hard at it.
Hmm, looking at the product it seems like it's mainly focused on the hardware and not any software features. It seems to be lacking SXFI for example, but it seems like it gains more output control in a balanced out. Which to be fair isn't a bad thing for their line up if you did want an all in one external hardware solution, don't think I'd personally want it just yet though.

I think realistically I'll probably keep the G6 for a bit to see if completely reinstalling all the drivers/using a different usb port stops my issues, but if it doesn't I might just grab the GC7 anyway since apparently it doesn't use any creative driver stuff any more, which should help massively with these compatibility issues it seems to have. I'm guessing that's also why they don't seem to have updated their driver in the past 2 years as well, they've just moved on from it on their newer products.

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #48,255 of 48,562
Just checking in on you guys.

I went and replayed Control, then played Vengeful Guardian Moonrider (very 16bit Genesis style Megaman X/Shinobi 3 fusion), and then now I'm playing Kena: Bridge of Spirits.

I'm really not sure what I want to play until Atomic Hearts comes out on Games Pass.

Also not sure, but I feel Kena may be set top stereo? I'm not getting Atmos to work on it.

I need to migrate Redscape to my pc again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back