Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #48,227 of 48,562
Let me ask this then. Does anyone know if a mixer/interface exists that has a USB and an optical input as well as an optical output for using my own DAC? I can accomplish this with my Creative X7, but I am wondering if there is anything else out there since the X7 is no longer obtainable anywhere.
Anything wrong with to just keep using the Creative X7?

Dec 27, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #48,228 of 48,562
Let me ask this then. Does anyone know if a mixer/interface exists that has a USB and an optical input as well as an optical output for using my own DAC? I can accomplish this with my Creative X7, but I am wondering if there is anything else out there since the X7 is no longer obtainable anywhere.
What exactly do you want to do with the mixer/interface? Input from A) USB and B) Optical? Switch output between A and B? Apply multi-channel to stereo stereo 3D downmixing to the outgoing signal? Output at line level to an external DAC (which interface)? Please specify.

Creative Sound Blaster GC7 can do USB and optical digital (from computer or gaming console) input. It can output to line-out analog out and/or optical digital out as well as 3.5mm internal headphone out at the same time (AFAIK). I don't have it, nor can I vouch for it, but it should be capable of that.

https://en.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-gc7

Dec 27, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #48,229 of 48,562
GC7 does, 100%

Before I simplified and kept it to just Redscape, that's how I would send my virtual surround audio to my Schiit Modius.

Speaking of Redscape, I gotta copy my install to my upghraded PC. I built it weeks ago, and I'm still on Dolby Atmos. Definitely couild stand to use Redscape.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #48,235 of 48,562
Does anyone know if this setup would degrade the audio or introduce latency? PC->USB into X7->OPT OUT->Schiit Bifrost->Schiit Valhalla 2->HD 800S
In general, would your ears notice a degrading in audio, no :)
But me, I would connect the PC directly to the Bifrost, using USB.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #48,236 of 48,562
Sooooo maybe this has been answered before. But redscapes works regardless of my g6? Is it best to just set the g6 on direct mode? And do I have to set rhe windows settings to 7.1? Haven’t bought it yet, mostly using atmos but is interested in trying it. It’s also sale for 20$.

Aaaaaand another question. I’m mostly playing battlefield 1. Should I set the game on stereo and headphones if I’m using redscape?

Dec 28, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #48,237 of 48,562
Does anyone know if this setup would degrade the audio or introduce latency? PC->USB into X7->OPT OUT->Schiit Bifrost->Schiit Valhalla 2->HD 800S
Generally Creative USB-soundcards add an additional +50 - +100 ms of additional latency to the sound chain (when measured at the headphone output of such Creative soundcard). However, X7 can NOT do multichannel to Stereo 3D (SBX Pro) downmixing to it's own optical output (I had X7 and tested this). So you will get "stereo only" out from your X7. Also, unless you run the "bit perfect mode" in X7 settings, it will internally resample everything, for a (theoretical) loss in sound quality.

I would just run your PC directly to Schiit Bifrost via USB, bypassing X7 altogether for less latency and higher sound quality.
If you want movies/gaming multichannel -> stereo 3D downmixing, you'll have to purchase "a virtual soundcard" that does the downmixing before the sound is sent from PC to Bifrost. Examples of such are Redscape 3D audio (software).

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #48,238 of 48,562
Which Virtual Surround Device would give me the best microphone quality?
If it were up to me today, I'd run the mic to a Schiit Hel. And if Hel is the only thing you got, use built in virtual surround on the new consoles, and something like Redscape on pc.

I'm still hoping Schiit makes a beefy dac/amp with a mic input. Like Asgard/Jotunheim sized. Hell, make it an interface.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #48,239 of 48,562
Hey Lust,

Really enjoyed reading through your reviews (haven't finished all of them tho). I'm a heavy gamer, played competitive for years in different games at an amateur semi-pro level.
What's your take on IEM for gaming? Have you got any recommendation, do you plan to add it sometime here?

(probably someone already asked you this; I havent read though the 3216 pages)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #48,240 of 48,562
I'm not a fan of IEMs.

There are a few I have reviewed, and they're relatively good for a form factor I greatly dislike.

The Creative Trio is really solid. It's one of the reviews. I'd be happy with it as a sole IEM if I was into that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back