Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 2, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #47,929 of 48,562
I do know Waves is making some...waves (totally not intended), but I haven't been privvy to the information. I just know it sounds exciting and enticing to our demographic.

I've been mainly hardlocked to Tales of Arise for like the past few...months, and I think I'm FINALLY reaching the end, so I'll move on to to other games.

Eiyuuden Chronicle Rising is coming out, and it will also be on game pass, so I'm super invested as a Suikoden fanboy, which I backed the real Eiyuuden years ago onm Kickstarter.

After that it's either do that fan-remaster of Valkyroe Profile: Silmeria, or re-play Tales of Vesperia.

Nothing that really calls the need for headphones, but ah well.

I will be in Chicago in June 17-20 for CanJam, so any of you peeps go, meet me at the Audeze booth. Then we can geek out a bit.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #47,930 of 48,562
I do know Waves is making some...waves (totally not intended), but I haven't been privvy to the information. I just know it sounds exciting and enticing to our demographic.

I've been mainly hardlocked to Tales of Arise for like the past few...months, and I think I'm FINALLY reaching the end, so I'll move on to to other games.

Eiyuuden Chronicle Rising is coming out, and it will also be on game pass, so I'm super invested as a Suikoden fanboy, which I backed the real Eiyuuden years ago onm Kickstarter.

After that it's either do that fan-remaster of Valkyroe Profile: Silmeria, or re-play Tales of Vesperia.

Nothing that really calls the need for headphones, but ah well.

I will be in Chicago in June 17-20 for CanJam, so any of you peeps go, meet me at the Audeze booth. Then we can geek out a bit.

God of War PC perhaps? :) Now that's a game that rewards a good audio chain

May 4, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #47,931 of 48,562
God of War PC perhaps? :) Now that's a game that rewards a good audio chain
Eh I played it on console release. Don't feel like revisiting. Great game, mind you, but not a game I'd replay.

I have like a 40% playthrough of Horizon Forbidden West I can return to, but I'm waiting for a hopeful 40hz or VRR mode.

May 5, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #47,932 of 48,562
anyone have any thoughts on?

Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 + SuperAmp Performance Gaming Headset​

they seem to have received a weak review from a rating website. this headset is pretty heavy at 2lbs. the features i like are the headband, cooling gel earpads that supposedly work well with glasses, and perhaps a decent mic. not sure if using the app is necessary.

anyways, i was initially curious, as they would be an alternative to the Astro headset and mixamp. unless you buy a standalone vss mixamp, the headset and mixamp market appears to be quite limited.

maybe i'll just pair my x2hr's with the soundblaster g5.

i've exclusively used stereo audio, though, i am still curious about vss. not sure if would benefit me much as i rarely play fps games. still curious if the vss would add to my immersion in rpg's, horror, adventure games etc

p.s. my x2hr's are still my go to headphones, even over my he4xx.

May 7, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #47,933 of 48,562
Hey guys.

I need some help. I am looking to buy an open back gaming headset to use on my PS5.

Open back because I want to hear my surroundings so closed back headset is definitely out of contention.

I say headset and not headphones because pretty much all the good headphones will sound crap on the console as console sound isn't that great. Buying a dac/amp will just get expensive so I will stick with a headset (built in mic).

I have narrowed down my choices to three:

1. Drop pc38x - seems to universally liked by many for gaming. Has flip to mute mic. Most expensive compared to the rest. Price is $169
2. Audio Technica ATH-GDL3 - fairly new and not many reviews. Not sure on how it compares to the ADG1x. Price is $129
3. Audio Technica ATH-ADG1x - fairly old headset but can buy it brand new for just over $100. Based around the AD900x and has a great mic. Price around $100.

There are a few other choices like Epos h6 pro (open), gsp 500 but many still prefer the PC38x for gaming. Not everyone loves the pc38x though. It's like a hit and miss for some.

My aim is to hear footsteps. I play fps games like Call of Duty, Battlefield 5, Rainbow six siege, Apex legends. I would like a good soundstage so I can judge distance of gunfire etc.

Can anyone share any thoughts on my above three choices or are there any other open back headsets I should be looking at as well?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #47,934 of 48,562
Eh I played it on console release. Don't feel like revisiting. Great game, mind you, but not a game I'd replay.

I have like a 40% playthrough of Horizon Forbidden West I can return to, but I'm waiting for a hopeful 40hz or VRR mode.
Ha same after playing Spider Man Remastered with 40fps fidelity mode I put HFW on hold hoping for a patch.
How do the Penrose sound with the PS5 tempest engine? I actually started to finally enjoy BF2042 which after the latest patch is playing and sounding better. I know you work for Audeze so you're the man to ask. :beyersmile: On the other hand I do have the 700x from my BF4 days, I just need something to drive them.

May 8, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #47,935 of 48,562
Ha same after playing Spider Man Remastered with 40fps fidelity mode I put HFW on hold hoping for a patch.
How do the Penrose sound with the PS5 tempest engine? I actually started to finally enjoy BF2042 which after the latest patch is playing and sounding better. I know you work for Audeze so you're the man to ask. :beyersmile: On the other hand I do have the 700x from my BF4 days, I just need something to drive them.

Tempest engine is hit or miss, sadly. OFC when it works, sounds good with Penrose. I just prefer using other DSPs. Tempest probably my least fave readily available. So for PS5, I'd rather just plug in to a Mixamp with Dolby headphone, or the GC7 for SBX/SXFI.

May 10, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #47,937 of 48,562
I do. It takes getting used to, but in terms of raw positional accuracy, SXFI is one of the best. With virtual surround, there is always gonna be the trade off of headphones sounding weird, because they aren't meant to sound like headphones anymore. They're emulating a room full of speakers. Once you get accustomed to the notion that you're comparing it to speakers and not a headphone, it's easier to digest.

SXFI has a very obvious room effect, so it'll be more obvious a change than say SBX or Tempest Audio.

May 10, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #47,938 of 48,562
Hi All, classifieds listed for an Astro 50 gen4 PS, PC & Mac.

May 17, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #47,940 of 48,562
Hi everyone.

I'm returning to PC gaming after a long time away (about 10 years), so I'm a bit lost when it comes to 2022 PC gaming audio.

Back in the day I was using Sennheiser 555s with a Creative X-Fi card of some sort (maybe Gamer). I found CMSS to be pretty good at the time IIRC. The set-up wasn't anything special but it worked for me with the games I was playing at the time. I was hoping to adopt a similar set-up for my new PC (albeit with a higher budget), but I see so many choices available now; internal vs external cards, software vs hardware for VSS, HRTF solutions, not to mention lots of gamers simply using good cans with desktop headphone amps. It's a lot to take in!

So rather than ask for specific headphone recommendations, I first need to get the basics down. I don't want to be rude/lazy and ask a load of questions in my first post either, so I'll start with just one;

Software VSS - apart from having to find one that works for you, do they have any inherent disadvantages?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back