Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 8, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #47,777 of 48,562
Anything cheaper than these you mentioned?
Jesus these prices are way too much.
Look for something bigger than a little dongle dac, that says specifically for PS5. If not, the PS5 simply does not output high enough voltage to standard DACs, so you just won't get enough volume.

The Fulla is $109. Not sure what kinda prices you're expecting to pay...

You could also opt to grab audio from your TV's optical or rca out into a dac or amp. You'll get better volumes from DACs that aren't directly connected to the PS5. Though of course, if you need a mic, these ain't gonna help you.

edit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMYY8XR/

Something like this would be worth checking out. Either use the optical output from the TV, or the RCA, if it doesn't have the optical output. (Check your TV's rear panel to ensure it has an audio output that matches.)

Can't vouch for the quality, but it's cheap, and reviews well enough.

This one is like $10 more, and I think may be worth the jump (much more powerful):

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Digital-Decoder-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07TW2JQNN/

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #47,778 of 48,562
The murder treble was enough that I returned it. It was too much. I loved everything else and would have called that the best bass and soundstage in headphones. Even more impressive to my ears than the 800S soundstage.

Though I still personally prefer the D7000 bass, subjectively.

Ah, that's too bad. Since you're the no-EQ type, people said that using the right tube amps with them tames the treble.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #47,779 of 48,562
Ah, that's too bad. Since you're the no-EQ type, people said that using the right tube amps with them tames the treble.

TH900 needs that elusive magical DAC/amp source in order to sound right IMO. I know all too well how they can sound insanely treble hot on like 4 outta 5 setups you try them on, lol. Doesn't necessarily have to be expensive either, just needs to synergize well.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #47,783 of 48,562
GC7 is not much more than the X4. It's better suited for console over the X4, imo.
I've got a X4 and I've been pretty impressed by it. I use it with PC but I believe the X4 can be controlled via app on your mobile device (Bluetooth). I'd suggest looking into that functionality if you're interested in it. I don't know much about the GC7 so I can't compare the two.

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #47,784 of 48,562
I've got a X4 and I've been pretty impressed by it. I use it with PC but I believe the X4 can be controlled via app on your mobile device (Bluetooth). I'd suggest looking into that functionality if you're interested in it. I don't know much about the GC7 so I can't compare the two.
Hey question about sxfi does it work well if your headphones are not on the supported list

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #47,785 of 48,562
Feb 11, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #47,786 of 48,562
Feb 11, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #47,787 of 48,562
Hey question about sxfi does it work well if your headphones are not on the supported list
They work well. SXFI is just a fancier general HTRF with tweaks based on personal ear shape, etc. It'll work with any headphones. There may be some EQ involved on the supported list, though not certain. I never bothered checking the supported list and just use whatever headphone I have. Works a treat.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #47,788 of 48,562
I don't have experience with either, but I've been comparing reviews and info of the X4 and GC7. Trying to decide which one I should buy for PS5 use only. From what I can tell, the main differences between the two are:

GC7 has dual DSP, so if you want to use SBX processing or SXFI, you can toggle that from the GC7. X4 relies on Windows software to utilize SBX. No SBX for console.
GC7 has individual hardware dials for volume, chatmix, mic gain, whereas X4 has a multifunction knob for volume, chatmix, and mic gain. GC7 wins there.
X4 has more line out options for surround systems.
Both use the same PC and phone app (bluetooth)
Does either one have hardware mic monitoring? Not talking about software.
Can the X4 line out and headphone out be used at the same time? It would be cool to have the line out feed my subwoofer and use it along with headphones simultaneously.

Right now I'm using PS5 > SXFI Amp > TRRS to aux input of Turtle Beach TAC > headset. This gives me SXFI processing and still allows me to use mic monitoring, mic gain, and background noise limiter features of the TB TAC. The only thing I don't have now is hardware chatmix, but I find the PS5 OS chatmix option is good enough.

Idk, I'm still not sold on either one. Creative needs a product like the GC7 but with BT audio output, or even better USB output so that I could use SXFI processing with any wireless headset.

Do you have the dt 900 pro x or hifiman deva
I do not own those, but the SXFI app lists the following headphones:
Beyerdynamic - DT770 PRO, DT880, DT990
Hifiman - Ananda, HE400i, HE400s

I would think you could choose one that is similar enough and manually adjust EQ.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #47,789 of 48,562
I don't have experience with either, but I've been comparing reviews and info of the X4 and GC7. Trying to decide which one I should buy for PS5 use only. From what I can tell, the main differences between the two are:

GC7 has dual DSP, so if you want to use SBX processing or SXFI, you can toggle that from the GC7. X4 relies on Windows software to utilize SBX. No SBX for console.
GC7 has individual hardware dials for volume, chatmix, mic gain, whereas X4 has a multifunction knob for volume, chatmix, and mic gain. GC7 wins there.
X4 has more line out options for surround systems.
Both use the same PC and phone app (bluetooth)
Does either one have hardware mic monitoring? Not talking about software.
Can the X4 line out and headphone out be used at the same time? It would be cool to have the line out feed my subwoofer and use it along with headphones simultaneously.

Right now I'm using PS5 > SXFI Amp > TRRS to aux input of Turtle Beach TAC > headset. This gives me SXFI processing and still allows me to use mic monitoring, mic gain, and background noise limiter features of the TB TAC. The only thing I don't have now is hardware chatmix, but I find the PS5 OS chatmix option is good enough.

Idk, I'm still not sold on either one. Creative needs a product like the GC7 but with BT audio output, or even better USB output so that I could use SXFI processing with any wireless headset.

I do not own those, but the SXFI app lists the following headphones:
Beyerdynamic - DT770 PRO, DT880, DT990
Hifiman - Ananda, HE400i, HE400s

I would think you could choose one that is similar enough and manually adjust EQ.
I'm pretty sure that the GC7 does not have a dedicated chatmix dial. Chatmix functionality was one thing I looked hard at when I was choosing a product. In fact as I recall I had difficulty determining if the GC7 had hardware chatmix functionality at all (e.g. a physical knob to turn as opposed to just adjusting settings in software). If it did then I might have been tempted to go that route instead, I keep reading that's a superb device.

Ignore that, I fail at reading comprehension. I was confusing the GC7 and the X7.

For what it's worth the more I use the X4 the more I feel like some of its controls are poorly-implemented. For instance to mute your mic you short-press the mic button and then press down the multifunction dial, at which point it pulses red to show that it's actually muted (instead of solid-red when the mic button is short-pressed). It's not enough to make me recommend against it, it's still a great product. But it's something to be aware of.

By the way, also keep in mind that if you want Chatmix functionality with the X4 and a PS5 you have to use an HDMI-to-Optical converter to bring in audio; I believe Creative has some additional detail there. For Windows at least the X4 requires defining your game and chat audio separately. It was considerably annoying when my buddies wanted to talk via in-game chat because I couldn't chatmix it; the X4 saw it all as game audio.

The X4 does indeed do mic monitoring if you plug in to the headphone input on the device. Otherwise you're SOL. This was a key factor in my decision on a microphone.

I can tell you that from what I understand with the X4 you have to choose between either "speakers" output or "headphone" output. I believe you can only do one or the other, including line-out. If Schiit ever gets around to shipping my Modi 3+ then I'll be able to tell you for sure.

Wow and now that I take a closer look at the GC7 I wish I'd examined it more when I was looking at the X4. I think I'm liking the dedicated controls of the GC7 a lot better than the multifunction dial of the X4. The only negative thing about the GC7 is some of the looks. The X4 is a very attractive device on my desk. Can you turn off some of those multicolor lights on the GC7?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back