Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 3, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #47,762 of 48,562
@Zachik had a spot-on suggestion with custom ear tips. You can find them online relatively easily in the range of $150 give or take. Alternatively UE now makes wireless earbuds that actually let you create the custom-fit tips by yourself in-home. Everything I've read about custom tips agrees with Zachik in that they apparently will give you a dramatic improvement in comfort and sound quality. Of course the other side is the expense of custom tips as compared to the cost of whatever IEMs you're using them with.
I was actually referring to custom IEM. Not custom tips.
BUT... custom tips work, too :)

Feb 3, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #47,763 of 48,562
I have a hard time using silicone tips, I even tried Spinfits and that did not work well. What does work for me are Memory Foam tips. (I get mine from Tennmak) Their tips are dense memory foam, roll up and stay like that for a decent amount of tiime so you don't have to rush getting them in, and then they expand and sit comfy, with great holding power and isolation. $7 for a dozen tips. Oh, and they don't tear, at all.

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #47,764 of 48,562
I heard that CA Andromeda is very good for gaming. From those who have hd800 and different types of headphones.

========

Hey, what the next step in gaming dac from G6? I play only on PS5 and don’t need extra VSS, I like tempest. What will give me better quality? I want hell2 but I read that it has got some build quality problems.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #47,765 of 48,562
I heard that CA Andromeda is very good for gaming. From those who have hd800 and different types of headphones.

========

Hey, what the next step in gaming dac from G6? I play only on PS5 and don’t need extra VSS, I like tempest. What will give me better quality? I want hell2 but I read that it has got some build quality problems.

I'm sure some IEM's with bass on the lighter side would do great with gaming.

I once tried my CA Vega's for gaming and couldn't hear a thing over all the explosions and gun shots, haha (too much BASSSSSS)

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #47,767 of 48,562
Hey everyone I am seeing a lot of reviews for competitive gaming but what are your go to headphones for open world, survival and mmo style games

Thanks
Usually the fun/casual category of headphones.

Casual gaming is a lot easier to shop around for.

I wish I hadn't sold the E-mu Teak. That would be it for me atm. Denon D7000 if it was still widely available.

For me in the price ranges:

Starting from low to high prices:

Koss PortaPros
Razer Blackshark V2 (this is so comfy, and I really like them at the price)
Ultrasone HFI-15G
Philips X1 if you can find it, or X2HR if not (X1 is warmer, more bassy)
DT990 Pro
HE-400 Rev 2 (I dunno how the newer variants sound, so I can't add them here)
K702 65th Anniversary (I believe the K7XX is tuned similarly). Still probably my fave open back dynamic headphone next to HD650.
K712 Pro (As the alternative to the K702 65th Anniversary, which I find to have a larger soundstage, but not as well balanced)

Ultrasone Pro 900
Sennheiser HD6XX/HD650
E-mu Teak
Denon D7000
LCD-2 Classic
LCD2 Rev 2 (if you could find them)
LCD-X

Fostex TH900

Bolded would be my definite picks today, otherwise I'd look for any of these.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #47,768 of 48,562

I wish I hadn't sold the E-mu Teak. That would be it for me atm. Denon D7000 if it was still widely available.

Koss PortaPros
Ultrasone HFI-15G
DT990 Pro
K702 65th Anniversary (I believe the K7XX is tuned similarly). Still probably my fave open back dynamic headphone next to HD650.
K712 Pro (As the alternative to the K702 65th Anniversary, which I find to have a larger soundstage, but not as well balanced)

Ultrasone Pro 900
Sennheiser HD6XX/HD650
E-mu Teak
Denon D7000
LCD-2 Classic
LCD-X

Fostex TH900

Thank you for the list I will be looking at all the highlighted suggestions

Feb 7, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #47,769 of 48,562

Koss PortaPros
Ultrasone HFI-15G
DT990 Pro

Ultrasone Pro 900
Sennheiser HD6XX/HD650
E-mu Teak
Denon D7000
LCD-2 Classic
LCD-X

Fostex TH900

Purely out of curiosity is there a reason why you don't have the LCD-GX on there? Would I be correct in guessing that the GX is superseded by others at that price point, or instead that it leans more "competitive" than "fun"?

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #47,770 of 48,562
Purely out of curiosity is there a reason why you don't have the LCD-GX on there? Would I be correct in guessing that the GX is superseded by others at that price point, or instead that it leans more "competitive" than "fun"?
It's a personal thing. For fun/casual I like more bass focus. The GX is a fantastically well rounded headphone. It also exteeeends way deep down in bass. But I like a bit of bass emphasis, and not so much bass 'flatness'.

Note if you're not against EQ or bass boosting, the GX would jump it to top contenders. But I'm one of those "I never EQ' guys. Believe me, it'd be better if you WEREN'T like me.

Nothing EQs quite like Audezes, so I'd greatly recommend the GX and 2C ESPECIALLY if you EQ.

One thing every headphone on my list shares, is that they ALL have a bass bump. Well, not the 2 Rev 2, 2C and X, but those just have a deep bass presence that when it hits, it's fantastic. Even so, I prefer a bit of a bump over them for casual use.

Note if I could only have 1 headphone for everything that wasn't Portapros with KSC75 clips, it'd be the 2C or LCD-X. Would've been the D7000 if they still existed.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #47,771 of 48,562
It's a personal thing. For fun/casual I like more bass focus. The GX is a fantastically well rounded headphone. It also exteeeends way deep down in bass. But I like a bit of bass emphasis, and not so much bass 'flatness'.

Note if you're not against EQ or bass boosting, the GX would jump it to top contenders. But I'm one of those "I never EQ' guys. Believe me, it'd be better if you WEREN'T like me.

Nothing EQs quite like Audezes, so I'd greatly recommend the GX and 2C ESPECIALLY if you EQ.

One thing every headphone on my list shares, is that they ALL have a bass bump. Well, not the 2 Rev 2, 2C and X, but those just have a deep bass presence that when it hits, it's fantastic. Even so, I prefer a bit of a bump over them for casual use.

Note if I could only have 1 headphone for everything that wasn't Portapros with KSC75 clips, it'd be the 2C or LCD-X. Would've been the D7000 if they still existed.

In that case, I'm surprised you didn't bold the Fostex TH900 on your list then :)

Feb 8, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #47,772 of 48,562
In that case, I'm surprised you didn't bold the Fostex TH900 on your list then :)
The murder treble was enough that I returned it. It was too much. I loved everything else and would have called that the best bass and soundstage in headphones. Even more impressive to my ears than the 800S soundstage.

Though I still personally prefer the D7000 bass, subjectively.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #47,773 of 48,562
Hey everyone I am seeing a lot of reviews for competitive gaming but what are your go to headphones for open world, survival and mmo style games

Thanks
Fostex t50 mk3 mayflower modded with zmf pads. Love it for immersive experiences. Mostly used audio technica ath-g1 before i got my fostex and modded them. Play alot of xbox series x, but also some cs:go and battlefield on pc. I love the t50´s, the difference in quality between them and the ath-g1 is big. Even in cs:go they perform well.

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #47,774 of 48,562
Can you guys recommend me a DAC for the PS5??

I'm currently using the Sharkoon gaming dac pro S. But you can't adjust the Volume on this Thing If you use It in console. Firstly this is a PC device. Even with max settings the Sound in PS5 is not loud enough.

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #47,775 of 48,562
Can you guys recommend me a DAC for the PS5??

I'm currently using the Sharkoon gaming dac pro S. But you can't adjust the Volume on this Thing If you use It in console. Firstly this is a PC device. Even with max settings the Sound in PS5 is not loud enough.
PS5 has very low output voltage for meager dongle dacs. You'll need something with a more beefy amplifier.

Wouldn't take anything less than a Creative G6, Schiit Fulla 4, or Schiit Hel 2. Anything less and you won't have much headroom for volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back