Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 23, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #47,716 of 48,566
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help making a decision on headphones to buy.
I'm pretty new to the audiophile/HiFi moneysink, but since my old cheap gamery headset broke recently I figured I'd take the dive. I bought the X2HR on black friday to get a feel for what kind of sound I like, and now I'd like to take a deeper dive.
I'll be using the headphones mostly for gaming, listening to music while working, and taking work calls (working from home). The gaming is mostly single-player games or "small" multiplayer games with friends. So immersion and "awesome" sound is more important than pin-point imaging accuracy.

I've been reading up a lot on headphones and gone to a local HiFi store to listen, and I've taken a liking to both the LCD-2 classic and the Sundara. The bass on the sundara is on the weak side, though.
Also, I'm eying the LCD-GX as well since it has a boom mic and is lighter than the LCD-2 classics (and also I can buy it second hand 1,5 years old for 450 euro). However, the LCD-GX isn't available for me to listen to, so I can't know whether I'll like it or not. The bass according to reviews seems to have less slam than the LCD-2 classics, but I figure that some EQ can sort most of that out hopefully. I also saw on a review that it can have some sibilance issues, which has me worried.
I actually got to borrow the Sundara from a friend for a week, so any comparisons to the Sundara are appreciated.

One last note, I sit at the computer quite a bit and that can lead to my neck stiffing up quite a bit. This makes me worried about the weight on the LCD-2 classics. I've tried attaching weights on my X2HR to simulate the weight of the LCD-2 classics, but it's hard to tell what the effect is over time.

Budget - Roughly 800 euro

Source/Amp - SoundBlasterX G6

How the gear will be used - Home listening. Gaming and mostly electronic music while working.

Preferred tonal balance - Bass head. Brighter headphones can be fatiguing, and sibilance is an issue.

Preferred music genre(s) - Electronic music like Daft Punk, Deadmau5.

Past gear experience - X2HR. Nice bass, fatiguing and sibilance issues.

LCD2 Classic has prolific sub bass representation but it's not boosted, it's ruler flat. So either EQ if you want "more" bass or get something like a E-mu Teak. Though it's also has some fatiguing treble if you found the X2HR fatiguing.

GX has less bass presence than the 2C if just a little so you'll want to EQ bass in on that as well.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #47,717 of 48,566
Ok, sounds then like both the 2 classic and the GX should be suitable for gaming. I hear that the imaging on the 2 classic isn't the best, but that doesn't matter very much to me i think.
I'll keep strapping this can of corn to the X2HR and see if I can get used to the weight :)

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #47,718 of 48,566
Ok, sounds then like both the 2 classic and the GX should be suitable for gaming. I hear that the imaging on the 2 classic isn't the best, but that doesn't matter very much to me i think.
I'll keep strapping this can of corn to the X2HR and see if I can get used to the weight :)
I think the GX is your best option, especially since you want a mic option, especially at the price you are getting it at. Just remember to clean any ear cups and headbands when you get used. :) I also believe the mic cable can be used on other Audeze models if you ever upgrade.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #47,719 of 48,566
LCD2 Classic has prolific sub bass representation but it's not boosted, it's ruler flat. So either EQ if you want "more" bass or get something like a E-mu Teak. Though it's also has some fatiguing treble if you found the X2HR fatiguing.

GX has less bass presence than the 2C if just a little so you'll want to EQ bass in on that as well.
What I like about the bass presence in the GX is the fact it's firm, shaped accuratly, not bloating or boomy, but tense. I was playing 1 hours full of Warhammer 40K inquisitor, and I liked a lot the way the explosion, weapon firing were bass intensive, but very readable. But indeed, if I compare it to the TH900, the bass presence is different, the TH900 seems more explosive. But then again, sound is not everything in a gaming headphone, comfort matters, or maybe I say that because I'm nearly bold:)

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #47,721 of 48,566
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help making a decision on headphones to buy.
I'm pretty new to the audiophile/HiFi moneysink, but since my old cheap gamery headset broke recently I figured I'd take the dive. I bought the X2HR on black friday to get a feel for what kind of sound I like, and now I'd like to take a deeper dive.
I'll be using the headphones mostly for gaming, listening to music while working, and taking work calls (working from home). The gaming is mostly single-player games or "small" multiplayer games with friends. So immersion and "awesome" sound is more important than pin-point imaging accuracy.

I've been reading up a lot on headphones and gone to a local HiFi store to listen, and I've taken a liking to both the LCD-2 classic and the Sundara. The bass on the sundara is on the weak side, though.
Also, I'm eying the LCD-GX as well since it has a boom mic and is lighter than the LCD-2 classics (and also I can buy it second hand 1,5 years old for 450 euro). However, the LCD-GX isn't available for me to listen to, so I can't know whether I'll like it or not. The bass according to reviews seems to have less slam than the LCD-2 classics, but I figure that some EQ can sort most of that out hopefully. I also saw on a review that it can have some sibilance issues, which has me worried.
I actually got to borrow the Sundara from a friend for a week, so any comparisons to the Sundara are appreciated.

One last note, I sit at the computer quite a bit and that can lead to my neck stiffing up quite a bit. This makes me worried about the weight on the LCD-2 classics. I've tried attaching weights on my X2HR to simulate the weight of the LCD-2 classics, but it's hard to tell what the effect is over time.

Budget - Roughly 800 euro

Source/Amp - SoundBlasterX G6

How the gear will be used - Home listening. Gaming and mostly electronic music while working.

Preferred tonal balance - Bass head. Brighter headphones can be fatiguing, and sibilance is an issue.

Preferred music genre(s) - Electronic music like Daft Punk, Deadmau5.

Past gear experience - X2HR. Nice bass, fatiguing and sibilance issues.
I'm using it with soundbaster X7, and it's... NICE :) very easy to tame if I dare say so. And at 450€... no hesitation, I paid full price, and even there, I have no regret.

Jan 23, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #47,723 of 48,566
Hey thank how would you compare redscape to waves nx in your opinion

Thanks
Waves NX is pretty easy to calibrate for best results, since you input you measurements direct. Redscape, you have to guess.

Problem with Waves NX is that Waves is no longer selling licenses, so you'd have to use warez edition, or use someone's key.

Of the two, I prefer Redscape, especially since the app has more polish to it.

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #47,724 of 48,566
What I like about the bass presence in the GX is the fact it's firm, shaped accuratly, not bloating or boomy, but tense. I was playing 1 hours full of Warhammer 40K inquisitor, and I liked a lot the way the explosion, weapon firing were bass intensive, but very readable. But indeed, if I compare it to the TH900, the bass presence is different, the TH900 seems more explosive. But then again, sound is not everything in a gaming headphone, comfort matters, or maybe I say that because I'm nearly bold:)
Haha. Same here about the baldness. Looking forward to a good seal! :p

Do you by any chance know how the Sundaras bass compares to the LCD-GX? Is it more or less? Different somehow?

Regardless, I'm planning on buying the iFi Zen CAN (to be used with my SGB G6) to up the bass :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #47,725 of 48,566
Haha. Same here about the baldness. Looking forward to a good seal! :p

Do you by any chance know how the Sundaras bass compares to the LCD-GX? Is it more or less? Different somehow?

Regardless, I'm planning on buying the iFi Zen CAN (to be used with my SGB G6) to up the bass :)
Sadly no, I didn't had the chance to test a lot of headphones so far, though now that I live in France, I hope I will ^^
Enjoy!!
i'm listening to the the test of the latest Mustang Shelby on youtube, and the roar is... WAHOU:)

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #47,726 of 48,566
I'm looking for another gaming headset/headphones, I am currently on the Series X and prefer wireless due to wired having to use the controller jack to power any wired one right now. I owned the Audeze Penrose but it broke like literally snapped. I am looking for one which has the maximum comfort and at the very least decent sound for fps gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions?.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #47,727 of 48,566
I'm looking for another gaming headset/headphones, I am currently on the Series X and prefer wireless due to wired having to use the controller jack to power any wired one right now. I owned the Audeze Penrose but it broke like literally snapped. I am looking for one which has the maximum comfort and at the very least decent sound for fps gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions?.
Contact us at support@audeze.com, I'll look into your case tomorrow. Just title it attn Christian, Headfier with Penrose. You may have to contact your local distributor if you bought local.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #47,728 of 48,566
Contact us at support@audeze.com, I'll look into your case tomorrow. Just title it attn Christian, Headfier with Penrose. You may have to contact your local distributor if you bought local.
I did it's out of warranty with them I am afraid I am trying to decide whether to get another Penrose or something else, So far nothing has come close to the Penrose for sound quality.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #47,729 of 48,566
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #47,730 of 48,566
has anyone tried suede pads? and are they better than velour? if yes, how so? do suede pads breathe? is suede rough on the ears?

i tried the sheepskins on my he 4xx. though, the sheepskin is soft and comfortable, they cling to my ears as they get hot. i might even sell my he 4xx with the sheepskin pads. too heavy, too clingy.

who knew i would go back to my x2hr's. so, i am considering getting the dekoni suede or velour pads for my x2hr's. all i care about is comfort now, and, the x2hr's are more comfortable than any other headphones i have tried.

as for the velour pads. is it safe to assume dekoni or brainwaves make a better velour pad than what came stock on the x2hr's?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back