Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 5, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #46,951 of 48,566
Would it be silly to go from a HD 600 to a PC38X?

For a few years now I've been using PC -> GSX 1000 -> Project Ember 2 -> HD 600, for all purposes but mainly gaming and music. Last night, my Ember died and so my HD 600 is currently connected directly to the GSX 1000.

I'm considering the following options:
1) Get an amp (e.g. a Drop O2) and rebuild the chain to properly drive the HD 600 while retaining the VSS.
2) Get a pair of headphones that are easier to drive to pair with the GSX 1000.
3) Not spend a single cent and just live with the current chain. For now with everything at max or close to max volume (Windows, game, foobar etc), it gets loud enough. I suppose this isn't ideal as the GSX 1000 isn't really meant to drive a 300-ohm pair of cans, and who knows perhaps the next game I play may not get loud enough.

Due to having less free time nowadays, my use case have shifted more towards gaming than music (but ideally I would still prefer something good for music as well). I don't play competitive/multiplayer games, so I don't need insane tryhard soundwhore cans, I want to be immersed and pick up details. I've been considering the PC38X for option 2, given that it has a lower impedance, supposedly works very well with VSS, and hopefully sounds similar to HD 600 but warmer (I know I know they can't be compared but at least I won't be going straight to a V-shaped tuning). I don't need the mic but it would be helpful to have.

Would like some opinion on this, thanks. Also, how is the volume for the PC38X with GSX 1000 if anyone has this pairing? Any other headphone suggestions?

In case anyone suggests this, no I most likely will not switch between the PC38X and HD 600 when going between gaming and music. Not really keen on keeping two headphones on my desk, and due to my cable management it's not the most convenient to swap things out.

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #46,952 of 48,566
Just get an amp. Be a shame to give up something as good as the 600.

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #46,953 of 48,566
Just get an amp. Be a shame to give up something as good as the 600.

Yea, that's what the rational side of my mind tells me too. Just curious how cans with better soundstage would sound like for gaming as I've never really tried them before, especially since the HD 600 has a pretty narrow soundstage. Or would the difference actually be small once I turn on VSS?

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #46,954 of 48,566
VSS does so much to enhance soundstage, I think you're fine with the 600. Going to the PC38X is not going to become transformative experience.

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #46,955 of 48,566
Looks like im in the market of a €3-500 headset again, since my Mobius broke.
Recommendations for mostly immersive single-player gaming headphones?

I *was*planning a DT1990, but I feel like I'm spoiled by planars and I have no experience with any other brand.
I had the DT770-990 range and still have the MMX300, but the round cups starts to pinch my upper and lower ear a little.
I'm very fond of their build quality however. ( yes, I didn't mind the V shape all that much )

Can I find these things in planar format?
- Buildquality like a Beyer, with parts available
- Replaceable cushions/pads
- Neutral, open, decent soundstage/image.

Thanks.

Ps. I've gotten a G6 for that MMX300, but boy the settings are a bit of a hassle. Firmsware, drivers, creative software...*LeSigh* I should've gone HEL2...
Sounds good tho.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #46,956 of 48,566
Would it be silly to go from a HD 600 to a PC38X?

For a few years now I've been using PC -> GSX 1000 -> Project Ember 2 -> HD 600, for all purposes but mainly gaming and music. Last night, my Ember died and so my HD 600 is currently connected directly to the GSX 1000.

1) Get an amp (e.g. a Drop O2) and rebuild the chain to properly drive the HD 600 while retaining the VSS.
3) Not spend a single cent and just live with the current chain. For now with everything at max or close to max volume (Windows, game, foobar etc), it gets loud enough. I suppose this isn't ideal as the GSX 1000 isn't really meant to drive a 300-ohm pair of cans, and who knows perhaps the next game I play may not get loud enough.

Due to having less free time nowadays, my use case have shifted more towards gaming than music (but ideally I would still prefer something good for music as well). I don't play competitive/multiplayer games, so I don't need insane tryhard soundwhore cans, I want to be immersed and pick up details. I've been considering the PC38X for option 2, given that it has a lower impedance, supposedly works very well with VSS, and hopefully sounds similar to HD 600 but warmer (I know I know they can't be compared but at least I won't be going straight to a V-shaped tuning). I don't need the mic but it would be helpful to have.

Would like some opinion on this, thanks. Also, how is the volume for the PC38X with GSX 1000 if anyone has this pairing? Any other headphone suggestions?

In case anyone suggests this, no I most likely will not switch between the PC38X and HD 600 when going between gaming and music. Not really keen on keeping two headphones on my desk, and due to my cable management it's not the most convenient to swap things out.
Hi, it so happens that I have the Drop PC38x, HD600, GSX 1000 so I was able to do a direct comparison for you. Obviously, it goes without saying that this is just my opinion and you have to do whats best for your use case. I have been a gamer for a long time, and at one point, got sucked into the "surround sound" black hole trying to find the best implementation. So I do have the XFI, G6, software solutions etc... the GSX 1000 is definitely my favorite and IMHO the best. I like to be immersed in my games and that does it without sounding like ass. The problem with it though is the amp section isnt all that powerful so I had to use my magni 3 to double amp it to get it loud enough to run my HD600 HD6xx etc which I really didn't like to do. I plugged the HD600 into the GSX and at full volume you can hear it but you definitely aren't driving them enough and aren't getting the true benefit of the headphone. I then plugged it into my Schiit Hel 2 and it was a night and day difference. It drove them with Aplomb. I know you want the VSS so getting rid of the GSX 1000 is not an option and I wouldn't recommend double amping so this leads me to the PC38x. Terrific headphone! And is a great match for the GSX1000, after all the GSX1000 was designed for gaming headphones not audiophile ones. Where full volume was not enough for the HD600, the PC38x was plenty loud at 75% and sounds terrific with the VSS. Not only that but the headphone has been praised not only for it's gaming prowess but also for its music playback abilities. The GSX1000 has it's 24/96 mode that would go well with the PC38x. Anyhow, if there is any other info I can supply for you let me know.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #46,957 of 48,566
Hi, it so happens that I have the Drop PC38x, HD600, GSX 1000 so I was able to do a direct comparison for you. Obviously, it goes without saying that this is just my opinion and you have to do whats best for your use case. I have been a gamer for a long time, and at one point, got sucked into the "surround sound" black hole trying to find the best implementation. So I do have the XFI, G6, software solutions etc... the GSX 1000 is definitely my favorite and IMHO the best. I like to be immersed in my games and that does it without sounding like ass. The problem with it though is the amp section isnt all that powerful so I had to use my magni 3 to double amp it to get it loud enough to run my HD600 HD6xx etc which I really didn't like to do. I plugged the HD600 into the GSX and at full volume you can hear it but you definitely aren't driving them enough and aren't getting the true benefit of the headphone. I then plugged it into my Schiit Hel 2 and it was a night and day difference. It drove them with Aplomb. I know you want the VSS so getting rid of the GSX 1000 is not an option and I wouldn't recommend double amping so this leads me to the PC38x. Terrific headphone! And is a great match for the GSX1000, after all the GSX1000 was designed for gaming headphones not audiophile ones. Where full volume was not enough for the HD600, the PC38x was plenty loud at 75% and sounds terrific with the VSS. Not only that but the headphone has been praised not only for it's gaming prowess but also for its music playback abilities. The GSX1000 has it's 24/96 mode that would go well with the PC38x. Anyhow, if there is any other info I can supply for you let me know.

Wow, thanks for your reply! Similarly, I used my Ember to double amp my HD 600, and while it does get loud enough without it now, I can tell they are not being driven properly. I know double amping is frowned upon but were there noticeable flaws that you noticed when you did so with the GSX 1000 & Magni 3 & HD 600?

I'm sure the Hel 2 would make a big difference, especially given that the GSX's dac and amp aren't anything spectacular. What is your current setup for gaming? Is it the GSX 1000 + PC38X? Or have you stopped VSS entirely?

Also, how would you compare the sound quality of the PC38X to the HD 600? Of course I'm not expecting the PC38X to be close, but I'm assuming I would like the PC38X sound if I love the HD 600?

Sigh, I was considering just getting a Magni Heresy (similar colour scheme with the GSX yay), go back to double-amping and call it a day, and now you're tempting me with the PC38X haha.

Jun 5, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #46,958 of 48,566
Wow, thanks for your reply! Similarly, I used my Ember to double amp my HD 600, and while it does get loud enough without it now, I can tell they are not being driven properly. I know double amping is frowned upon but were there noticeable flaws that you noticed when you did so with the GSX 1000 & Magni 3 & HD 600?

I'm sure the Hel 2 would make a big difference, especially given that the GSX's dac and amp aren't anything spectacular. What is your current setup for gaming? Is it the GSX 1000 + PC38X? Or have you stopped VSS entirely?

Also, how would you compare the sound quality of the PC38X to the HD 600? Of course I'm not expecting the PC38X to be close, but I'm assuming I would like the PC38X sound if I love the HD 600?

Sigh, I was considering just getting a Magni Heresy (similar colour scheme with the GSX yay), go back to double-amping and call it a day, and now you're tempting me with the PC38X haha.
Hey, as far as double amping goes, you can do whatever you want. That's your call. If you want to continue using the HD600's for gaming, that's your call too. You do whatever is good for YOUR situation. I am an audio guy so I have a few different toys laying around and I have a choice. But for those that do not, make the best choice for you. I love the HD600's, even more so than the HD650's/HD6XX's. But I also know this is a headphone that has been around a long time and advances have been made since it came out. For example it has been said that their imaging and layering isn't the greatest, atleast compared to newer headphones. The PC38x is a new headphone with much newer drivers and has a nice meaty sound for explosions and such. Probably superior in imaging as well. These have been compared to the new sennheiser 560, which is supposed to be really good, and from my understanding, preferred over the 560. I didn't notice any flaws or anything while double amping, and not sure of any downsides either but it may be worth looking up to see if there are any before you make your decision. I just did it because I didn't have any other options at the time. The hardware inside the GSX1000 may not be of the highest quality, but it sure does things others don't and it does it well. I do not use it much as I have better quality stuff and I do not use surround much either as I prefer stereo. But taking it out for this commentary has renewed my interest and will prompt me to take it out more and use it on older games which I much prefer over most of this new crap they come out with every 6 months. I just got the Hel2 (Bstock in case anyone is wondering) so I am just starting to flesh it out. I wanted something powerful enough to run any headphone I have as well as be compatible with my gaming headphones for those relatively few times I may use the microphone portion for in game communications. Otherwise, I use my Jotunheim 2/Bifrost 2/Gungnir Multibit (I am big on music).

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #46,960 of 48,566
Has anyone tried using the Schiit Gungnir Multibit or Yggrdrasil in their gaming? If so, how was it? And was there any issues with latency?
I have a gumby A1. As far as issues such as latency I haven't noticed it to be any different from any other dac I've tried. For sound, I quite enjoy it and its been my go to dac for quite a while, although that might be changing soon as I'm trying out a teac UD-505.

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #46,961 of 48,566
PC38X was an upgrade for gaming over the HD660S IMHO, so going with the GSX1000 + PC38X as mentioned above by @Soundmancan is a great idea.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #46,962 of 48,566

Another possible option is to try to optimize the noise level in your environment. Turn off the AC when you are using headphones, have quiet computer fans, get some noise dampening stuff for the walls etc.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #46,963 of 48,566
That sounds like way too much just to accommodate the headphones. You're uprooting the way you live just to get better/louder sound. Eh...

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #46,964 of 48,566
Another possible option is to try to optimize the noise level in your environment. Turn off the AC when you are using headphones, have quiet computer fans, get some noise dampening stuff for the walls etc.

I think you misunderstand, noise isn't an issue. I rarely use AC, just regular fan (funny enough the fan is actually noisier than the AC unit), and my PC is inaudible unless I put my head next to it. The volume I'm getting now is enough, but there's no more headroom if required. And after a couple days listening to the HD 600 with just the GSX 1000, it sounds... thin? Granted, it could just be that I'm used to how my setup sounded previously, especially given the tube amp coloration, but I believe the GSX 1000 just isn't doing the HD 600 justice in terms of driving it.

When my HD 600 finally croaks, I'll look at the options again. For now I'll get an amp just as MLE suggested, and continue using my HD 600 that I can't bear to part ways with haha.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #46,965 of 48,566
I'm wondering if Hi-Res modes on headsets (Mobius in this case), gives better sounds for hearing footsteps in FPS games? And how is the directional sounds affected? Would it be easier or harder to determine where the footsteps and other sounds are coming from compared to Normal two channel mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back