Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 11, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #46,730 of 48,562
OK, drumroll... the Sound Blaster GC7 DOES, I repeat DOES decode Dolby and then do SXFI for consoles. Via SPDIF in only. Tested on Xbox One S, and I also tested Dolby Digital out of my LG OLEDE65P SPDIF out. Dolby light goes on, SXFI light remains engaged. Huzzah!

Didn't actually try gaming to "test" it (haven't turned on my Xbox in ages so Warzone has like 5 gajillion GB updates before I could play, just scrolled around Netflix and the menu basically) but I see no reason why it wouldn't just sound like typical SXFI, since it is decoding to multi-channel PCM and then layering on the SXFI goodness, just like it does with SBX.

So, this is a pretty cool feature actually for this particular device. Creative you have sort of redeemed yourself!
This is really good news, thank you for testing it. I've been wanting to try SXFI on console for ages now, was holding out for that A16-esque SXFI TV thing Creative mentioned a while ago.

So if I'm following: the gc7 has an additional feature where you decode dolby digital, this must be enabled alongside SXFI.
So you can receive dolby via optical into the gc7 from the TV and that will hopefully allow me to game in SXFI on my PS5

Was it difficult at all to get working properly on your XoS?
Also not sure why dd decoding would be needed on top as I thought SXFI did that anyway, and presumably the decoding feature does not need to be enabled for sxfi to work on your PC?

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #46,731 of 48,562
This is really good news, thank you for testing it. I've been wanting to try SXFI on console for ages now, was holding out for that A16-esque SXFI TV thing Creative mentioned a while ago.

So if I'm following: the gc7 has an additional feature where you decode dolby digital, this must be enabled alongside SXFI.
So you can receive dolby via optical into the gc7 from the TV and that will hopefully allow me to game in SXFI on my PS5

Was it difficult at all to get working properly on your XoS?
Also not sure why dd decoding would be needed on top as I thought SXFI did that anyway, and presumably the decoding feature does not need to be enabled for sxfi to work on your PC?
The only issue I had was there was some corruption of the DD signal from my Xbox into the GC7. I suspect this is some software issue as it worked fine if the DD signal came from my TV. (I.e. HDMI DD bitstream to TV, TV DD SPDIF passthrough out to GC7.)

DD decoding is necessary because SXFI needs a PCM signal to function, but SPDIF can only carry a compressed multichannel signal (i.e. DD or DTS). So the basic process is the console sends the compressed DD signal to the GC7, the GC7 decodes it to PCM multichannel, then it layers SXFI on that PCM signal.

I suppose one could set the console to output uncompressed multichannel audio over HDMI, then figure out a way to extract that multichannel PCM audio of of the HDMI signal and then feed that to the GC7 USB input. Then there would be no need for DD decoding.

You can't decode DD via USB from the PC though. But, no need for DD decoding from PC given USB can handle 7.1 PCM uncompressed.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #46,732 of 48,562
Lols ... I re-joined the master race back in August after a 27-year absence.

Question ... Waves NX and Redscape are better than Atmos?
Waves NX and Redscape both are capable of 7.1 VSS. Dolby Access with an Atmos feed can do 7.4.1, with full 360 degree cues, including elevation. (Same for DTS:X with DTS:X streams) In regards to 7.1, NX and RS are Room Models, and can be very accurate, utilizing reflections and distance cues. Dolby Access is a sphere model, and operates with an open field model.

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #46,734 of 48,562
Ok guys so I decided to skip reviewing the Razer Blackshark V2, since I don't think many of you are interested. No reason to waste so many days writing a review no one will care about.

I will be doing the Focal Elex next, and I also went ahead and bought a pair of SHP9600s to use as my headset with the Boompro. Mainly because I just don't like wearing the Penrose for long periods. I want something that's comfort first, and I think you guys might be interested in the SHP9600.

I didn't go for the 9500 because I feel the tonal balance of the 9600 would suit my tastes more.

So Elex, then 9600, then some Schiit if it arrives...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #46,735 of 48,562
Waves NX and Redscape both are capable of 7.1 VSS. Dolby Access with an Atmos feed can do 7.4.1, with full 360 degree cues, including elevation. (Same for DTS:X with DTS:X streams) In regards to 7.1, NX and RS are Room Models, and can be very accurate, utilizing reflections and distance cues. Dolby Access is a sphere model, and operates with an open field model.
This is for a multi speaker setup, yes? If not, how does that translate to headphones? ( focus on elevation ).
I'm currently using a mobius with said Nx, and I'm curious if there's something universally better around yet :).

Other question: I have this 600Ohm ( don't ask, I was stupid... ) 1st gen MMX300 from 2014.
Since it's going on 7 years, how does it compare to current gen headsets like the Sen 38x and Beyer Tygr?

Excuse the spoonfeed, the MMx300 isn't that popular and not that many comparisons are made. Thank you for your patience

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #46,736 of 48,562
This is for a multi speaker setup, yes? If not, how does that translate to headphones? ( focus on elevation ).
I'm currently using a mobius with said Nx, and I'm curious if there's something universally better around yet :).

Other question: I have this 600Ohm ( don't ask, I was stupid... ) 1st gen MMX300 from 2014.
Since it's going on 7 years, how does it compare to current gen headsets like the Sen 38x and Beyer Tygr?

Excuse the spoonfeed, the MMx300 isn't that popular and not that many comparisons are made. Thank you for your patience
The only reason it's not popular is because it was essentially a DT770 with a microphone at a very high price. However, it's STILL a great headset and I don't think you need to replace it with any headset. Other than the fact its 600ohm and you may need a good amp for it.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #46,737 of 48,562

I hear people above and below me in WZ and Battlefield. Through my PC38X headset. As I did with my Astro A50s. I'm not sure if it's better than Waves NX or Redscape though, as I haven't tried them.

1618225431562.png

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #46,738 of 48,562
The only issue I had was there was some corruption of the DD signal from my Xbox into the GC7. I suspect this is some software issue as it worked fine if the DD signal came from my TV. (I.e. HDMI DD bitstream to TV, TV DD SPDIF passthrough out to GC7.)

DD decoding is necessary because SXFI needs a PCM signal to function, but SPDIF can only carry a compressed multichannel signal (i.e. DD or DTS). So the basic process is the console sends the compressed DD signal to the GC7, the GC7 decodes it to PCM multichannel, then it layers SXFI on that PCM signal.

I suppose one could set the console to output uncompressed multichannel audio over HDMI, then figure out a way to extract that multichannel PCM audio of of the HDMI signal and then feed that to the GC7 USB input. Then there would be no need for DD decoding.

You can't decode DD via USB from the PC though. But, no need for DD decoding from PC given USB can handle 7.1 PCM uncompressed.
Ahh well that makes sense. Putting the GC7 on order! Only drawbacks I see are that for PS5 it will be compressed and limited to 5.1 vss.

In your experience, is there a significant improvement with 7.1 vss versus 5.1 vss?

Also want to ask if there's a noticeable audible difference when you tested it on console with compressed dd, vs uncompressed pcm on PC?

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #46,739 of 48,562
I'm currently using a mobius with said Nx, and I'm curious if there's something universally better around yet
Atmos streams have 11 channels of direction, 4 of which are dedicated to above and below. So the Virtualizer has more accurate info to work with to generate directional cues that go up and down with HRTF Stereo. But as I stated, Dolby Access and DTS:X needs their high-end encoded streams to benefit from this. (Great for movies)

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #46,740 of 48,562
Ahh well that makes sense. Putting the GC7 on order! Only drawbacks I see are that for PS5 it will be compressed and limited to 5.1 vss.

In your experience, is there a significant improvement with 7.1 vss versus 5.1 vss?

Also want to ask if there's a noticeable audible difference when you tested it on console with compressed dd, vs uncompressed pcm on PC?
Don't forget you need an optical output for that! So if you are gaming on a TV, you are probably fine. But with a monitor it might be more complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back