Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #46,517 of 48,562
If someone were willing to send it to me, and pay shipping both ways, I'd be down to try any headphone y'all want. I don't make money off this, hence why shipping must be both ways.
I understand. If I could I definitely would. But that's just not an option for me. Not to mention I don't even have the T1.3. Let's see if anyone else is interested...

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #46,518 of 48,562
@kman1211 seems to be a nice guy willing to do it, but I could be wrongly remembering him owning a T1.3. He is deep into AKGs and Beyers.

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #46,520 of 48,562
Well, how does it compare to HD800S and Anniversary? Oh but who care ? I have both of them already. I don’t think I need drops
Yeah from what I hear of other people who tried it and have experience with the other ones, I don't think there's a reason to go for the 8XX if you already own one of the others. I think it's more for those who DON'T own those. You get a comparable variant for much cheaper.

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #46,521 of 48,562
I guess the last outstanding factor for me is how well they respond to EQ. A little low-end bump could either blow out the bass completely or it could give it what sounds like some much needed body. Also I'd say unless budget REALLY isn't a factor, this would probably be overkill for gaming, though its nice performance there is a good bonus on top of its other qualities.

I will keep it on my radar though because a lot of the things it does well are things that I enjoy in electrostats and I'm curious how it would really compete with midrange Stax at its price point, in terms of clarity, detail, and soundstage.

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #46,522 of 48,562
Thanks for the time and effort for the hd8xx "impressions." Actually, it helped me very much in my decision making process. Oh...the hd8xx probably doesn't feel lightweight because it's actually not 330 grams, it's 378. Most reviewers assume that it's what Sennhieser and others post on their website. It's not.

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #46,523 of 48,562
I just weighed my 800S without cables and it came in at 370 grams (not the most accurate scale), but that's not close to 330g. Where does Sennheiser come up with that number??

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #46,524 of 48,562
I just weighed my 800S without cables and it came in at 370 grams (not the most accurate scale), but that's not close to 330g. Where does Sennheiser come up with that number??
The only thing that I can come up with is that they weighed them without...earpads and headband pad. And I guess that marketing 330 is easier than 375.

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #46,526 of 48,562
@kman1211 seems to be a nice guy willing to do it, but I could be wrongly remembering him owning a T1.3. He is deep into AKGs and Beyers.

I think I would be willing to sometime pretty soon, likely probably during vacation as I won’t really be using them. Yes I do own a T1.3 and it’s my most used headphones, I’ve owned it since it was released. I normally would’ve reviewed them by now but I haven’t been motivated in regards to doing headphone reviews lately, I have numerous headphones on backlog I’ve been meaning to review but haven’t gotten to it. Still haven’t reviewed my T1.2 or RR 1 estat both of which I’ve been meaning to review for a while now.

It’s quite a different sounding headphone and requires a bit of time to get a good feel of and settle into; expect more warmth than you ever experienced with a Beyer, it’s warmer sounding than the Nighthawk to give an indication of how warm it sounds but it’s notably more resolving, refined, detailed, and textured than the Hawks and yes it’s imaging and soundstaging is excellent.

May send my modified DT 480 as well; while it’s not a currently made headphone I have been wanting to let others try it and offer opinions and criticisms of it as it’s been a modding project of mine for a while. I think will it offer an unique experience as nothing else I’ve heard sounds like it, it’s driver is something else.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #46,527 of 48,562
I love warm headphones, and I like Beyers lol.

I mean I'm open to many types of sounds in general.

Hell my fave for a long while was the DT990 600ohm, and that may be just as polarizing if not more than the HD800 class.

You wanna talk about an easy EQ? Just notch down that very tall, very narrow treble peak. And even knowing that, I kept it as is, no EQ. 😬

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #46,528 of 48,562
I am kind of letting go of getting 5.1 out of my PS5 with all sorts of HDMI audio toslink extractor shenanigans. I am just going to get stereo with a good dac/amp.

So now I am looking for a good dac/amp that works with PS5, but is also good for music listening.

I have a pair of PC38x, Audioquest nightowls and might pick up some planars down the road.

At this point I am in between a few devices. I am leaning towards the mayflower arc 2, since it seems to have a decent dac, decent amp, headphone input and works with PS5. Does anyone have experience with it? Are there better options? I know I would get more bang for my buck if I get a seperate dac and amp, but those won't include a mic input. I could of course plug the mic in my controller, but after years of mixamps, I am not looking to have anything plugged in my controller honestly.

The x7 is on sale (250), but I don't think that is going to work with PS5 (in the future) right? The G6 sadly isn't on sale, and 150 seems a hefty price if I am not going to use any of the surround settings.

Another option might be a very cheap gamer dac that works with PS5 (or 3.5 mic input to USB converter?), and a dac/amp stack for my PC. That way I can use the amp for both dacs, and still have high quality music listening on my PC.

Would love to hear what my options are at this point. Have done a lot of research, but most of those threads are outdated at this point (and/or advice UAC2 stuff like the schiit hell)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #46,529 of 48,562
Noice review MLE!
I’ve been really happy with my current setup, and haven’t had an itch to upgrade until reading your latest 8xx review. X7 limited , full sparkos, ad2000x, lifatec toslink, ps5 (mostly playing competitive CoD).

Any insight on how the 8xx performs on the x7? Or if the upgrade from ad2000x to 8xx would even be worth it for competitive play?

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #46,530 of 48,562
I don't know much if anything about those AD2000X's bvut knowing Audio Technica, I probably don't think you'd need to upgrade.

As for the 8XX on the X7... mmm, I think the 8XX would like a little more than that, but I thought it siounded fine off a Schiit Hel as far as lower power goes, so the X7 would be ok too, though I definitely think they deserve more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back