Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 22, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #46,006 of 48,566
Hello everyone, hoping someone can help me. I recently bought a PS5 and looking for the best setup for me. I tried the Audeze Penrose and the 7p, just did not have the soundstage I am after. I currently use the Sennheiser Game One and the Astro Mixamp Pro the past 6 years or so. For the PS5, I have the USB to the PS5 and the optical running to my Oled 48CX series LG. My budget is around 300-400 for upgrading my headset and sound experience. I do need chat capability and if I could mix voice/game volume that would be great. I also do not want to buy anything that would degrade my HDMI 2.1 experience. I only play Search and Destroy on Call of Duty, I literally play no other games since 2007, just dont have the time. Yes boring to many, but I enjoy it to destress from work. Here are my questions:

1. First, are the Game One's still a very good headphone? Is it worth to upgrade to the PC38x or another headset? I prefer built in mics for usability and ease
2. Being that the Game One is only 50ohms, is the mixamp Pro circa 2013 sufficient or will I have a better experience with a different DAC? What would I gain by switching? Any way to gain Dolby Atmos?
3. Any other recommendations I am not thinking of or ways to improve my setup only for Footsteps and positional accuracy? These will never be used for anything other than gaming so I do not care about music etc.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #46,007 of 48,566
Just tested again. Turned off SBX by hitting the button on the right side of the g6, and though it might sound better than sbx on it still seems I’m getting more punch, more detail, and fullness from through the controller. Now...it’s not worlds better. I’d never notice if I weren’t a/b testing and trying to focus on tiny details. It also could be because the pc38x is driven fine with the controller and its just giving it a different signature. Could also be my preference, but the things that are better about the controller over the g6 are things that are important. And again the g6 is great on pc, and even great on ps5, but I just find the controller to sound noticeably better for some crazy reason with the pc38x

Just run it in direct mode dude there's no way you won't notice a difference. No lights should be on, on the side of the G6 and turn on tempest in the PS5 settings and calibrate it through that water flowing thing so its right to your ears. I use it with my Elex and its quite a noticeable step up in quality and power from the controller.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #46,008 of 48,566
Just run it in direct mode dude there's no way you won't notice a difference. No lights should be on, on the side of the G6 and turn on tempest in the PS5 settings and calibrate it through that water flowing thing so its right to your ears. I use it with my Elex and its quite a noticeable step up in quality and power from the controller.
I’m fairly positive I have it set up right. There are 3 lights on the side (sniper mode or something, SBX and something else) and all are off. It’s plugged in via usb to the back of the ps5. So unless there’s something else I have to do to get it in direct mode, I’m just reporting what I’m hearing. I can try to do the water thing again to see if that would change things but it shouldn’t be that drastic of a change.

And again, maybe with the Elex it will be a crazy difference but I’m using the PC38X which are driven very easily.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #46,009 of 48,566
Hello everyone, hoping someone can help me. I recently bought a PS5 and looking for the best setup for me. I tried the Audeze Penrose and the 7p, just did not have the soundstage I am after. I currently use the Sennheiser Game One and the Astro Mixamp Pro the past 6 years or so. For the PS5, I have the USB to the PS5 and the optical running to my Oled 48CX series LG. My budget is around 300-400 for upgrading my headset and sound experience. I do need chat capability and if I could mix voice/game volume that would be great. I also do not want to buy anything that would degrade my HDMI 2.1 experience. I only play Search and Destroy on Call of Duty, I literally play no other games since 2007, just dont have the time. Yes boring to many, but I enjoy it to destress from work. Here are my questions:

1. First, are the Game One's still a very good headphone? Is it worth to upgrade to the PC38x or another headset? I prefer built in mics for usability and ease
2. Being that the Game One is only 50ohms, is the mixamp Pro circa 2013 sufficient or will I have a better experience with a different DAC? What would I gain by switching? Any way to gain Dolby Atmos?
3. Any other recommendations I am not thinking of or ways to improve my setup only for Footsteps and positional accuracy? These will never be used for anything other than gaming so I do not care about music etc.
I’ve seen you post in other threads quite a bit and we all know you hate bass because it detracts from footsteps. Totally get it since you only play S&D.

Here are my thoughts:

PC37X = Game One

Some say the PC38X is slightly better than the PC37X because it adds a bit more to bass. Since you hate bass then that’s really a con for you.

Anything closed back is going to be a step down for you so Penrose and 7p are definitely out.

Have you tried getting a G6 to see if you like that paired with your Game Ones? It could be better than your mixamp, but it would be personal preference.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #46,010 of 48,566
I’ve seen you post in other threads quite a bit and we all know you hate bass because it detracts from footsteps. Totally get it since you only play S&D.

Here are my thoughts:

PC37X = Game One

Some say the PC38X is slightly better than the PC37X because it adds a bit more to bass. Since you hate bass then that’s really a con for you.

Anything closed back is going to be a step down for you so Penrose and 7p are definitely out.

Have you tried getting a G6 to see if you like that paired with your Game Ones? It could be better than your mixamp, but it would be personal preference.
Would there be a difference with the G6? Is there still VSS or Dolby Headphone for positioning? I know the mixamp uses VSS and I have it enabled. Sorry for all of the questions. Any better amp then the G6? I just want to buy the right stuff once and be done.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #46,011 of 48,566
Hi All, im new.

For max 100 bucks do you suggest the Pulse 3D or something else?

Use: Gaming PS5 70%, PC 30%
I would recommend saving a bit more and getting the Sennheiser PC38X. They are monsters for their price. The previous generation (PC37X) are only $30 less ($130 on Amazon), so paying $160 for the 38X is a lot better than a lot of other headphones around that price bracket.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #46,012 of 48,566
Would there be a difference with the G6? Is there still VSS or Dolby Headphone for positioning? I know the mixamp uses VSS and I have it enabled. Sorry for all of the questions. Any better amp then the G6? I just want to buy the right stuff once and be done.
I think it’s too late to buy once and be done for you!

I’d need someone else to weigh in on subtle differences between Mixamp and G6.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #46,013 of 48,566
I would recommend saving a bit more and getting the Sennheiser PC38X. They are monsters for their price. The previous generation (PC37X) are only $30 less ($130 on Amazon), so paying $160 for the 38X is a lot better than a lot of other headphones around that price bracket.

PC38X are not avaiable in my country (Italy). I can get "only" the Game One at 160 euros. Are the Game One worth the price? Also, i don't want to buy an external amp/dac. Take this into account please.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #46,015 of 48,566
Hey now lol jk. I had to dip into the wireless Penrose as they were getting such rave reviews. I wonder if buying a lower OHM headset such as the PC38x and the New Mixamp would be the best setup....

Trouble is with all this audio 'stuff' is that audio is so subjective - sometimes there is no substitute for trying and sending back lol

I have the PC37x and PC38x - personally the PC38x introduce a bit more low end but that might not actually help you and therefore the extra expense is wasted (welcome to buy mine off me to try though lol).

Also, the G6 in my opinion is far better than the latest Mixamp (which has a veil to the sound to my ears). The G6 has adjustable VSS so you can tune it to just as you want (I leave it completely off on PS5 now though) and is just a much more powerful and better sounding solution to my ears. Then again, you have an older Mixamp and from memory, they sounded a fair bit better back then to me.

The G6 occasionally comes up on the Creative UK store for about £80 or less (B Stock) - which is what I bought - that might be the most cost effective way of testing?

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #46,016 of 48,566
Trouble is with all this audio 'stuff' is that audio is so subjective - sometimes there is no substitute for trying and sending back lol

I have the PC37x and PC38x - personally the PC38x introduce a bit more low end but that might not actually help you and therefore the extra expense is wasted (welcome to buy mine off me to try though lol).

Also, the G6 in my opinion is far better than the latest Mixamp (which has a veil to the sound to my ears). The G6 has adjustable VSS so you can tune it to just as you want (I leave it completely off on PS5 now though) and is just a much more powerful and better sounding solution to my ears. Then again, you have an older Mixamp and from memory, they sounded a fair bit better back then to me.

The G6 occasionally comes up on the Creative UK store for about £80 or less (B Stock) - which is what I bought - that might be the most cost effective way of testing?
Yes, I specifically found one of the last new in box 2013 Mixamp Pro's in 2017 because they sounded a bit better than the gen 3. I will just buy the G6 and try it out. Do you not use the VSS and still get good positional accuracy?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #46,017 of 48,566
I’m fairly positive I have it set up right. There are 3 lights on the side (sniper mode or something, SBX and something else) and all are off. It’s plugged in via usb to the back of the ps5. So unless there’s something else I have to do to get it in direct mode, I’m just reporting what I’m hearing. I can try to do the water thing again to see if that would change things but it shouldn’t be that drastic of a change.

And again, maybe with the Elex it will be a crazy difference but I’m using the PC38X which are driven very easily.
Have you tried putting it in high gain mode not low gain? It is a button on the side that might be your problem.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #46,018 of 48,566
PC38X are not avaiable in my country (Italy). I can get "only" the Game One at 160 euros. Are the Game One worth the price? Also, i don't want to buy an external amp/dac. Take this into account please.
Yes, Game One is the PC37X and are still highly regarded as a great headset.

EDIT: They do not need a DAC or Amp to work well :)

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #46,019 of 48,566

Hi, like I said in my earlier reply I have the same combo. I also used to play S&D only since Cod4, have played a bit of search on the latest modern Warfare, bit of black ops but mainly warzone now. In my opinion Every Cod had better sound especially footstepwise than MW and blops. I still have the feeling I hear better than others but it isn't like the older cod's used to be. I wonder if this isn't the same for you and so I wonder if any headset Will satisfy with these games?

Does this have something to do with italian regulation?
because they do ship to the Netherlands.
shipping costs are something like 20 euro.

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #46,020 of 48,566
What I was trying to say is that they are not avaiable on Amazon.it (Italians retailers) for example.
Btw, where do you suggest me to eventually buy? Drop.com or some others?

Thx in advance.

edit: So, i have 3 options:

1) PC38X from drop.com - total 180 euros (product, shipping and taxes)
2) Game One from Amazon in Italy - 160 euros
3) Fidelio X2HR (i will use external mic) - 135 euros

Any suggestion?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back