Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 12, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #44,101 of 48,562
Sorry but this happens when I use dolby atmos for headphone (16bit 48hz) with the g6 set to direct more. I think it happens to all other modes as well and regardless of the source (video games, movies, etc.)
Ah, turn off direct mode. That too is buggy. You can still more or less get a similar outcome by turning off all G6 enhancements in the software.

Dolby Atmos forces 16/44 - 2 channel IIRC, so you don't need to worry about the other stuff.

Though I question why you'd go with Atmos over SBX, which I feel is still better.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #44,102 of 48,562
Ah, turn off direct mode. That too is buggy.
But if I turn off direct mode the g6 will apply some form of surround effect, no? I want to use dolby atmos for headphone with the g6 so I don’t want any extra vss on top.

And even without direct mode I think I notice the pop with other modes as well (5.1 sbx, 7.1 sbx)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #44,103 of 48,562
But if I turn off direct mode the g6 will apply some form of surround effect, no? I want to use dolby atmos for headphone with the g6 so I don’t want any extra vss on top
No, the surround mode is SBX which you can manually turn off. EVERY enhancement on the G6 can be manually turned off in the software. You do not need direct mode whatsoever. It is convenient if you do happen to turn on a bunch of stuff when gaming, and want to turn it all off at any point (like for msic), but it can cause audible problems, as you have experienced.

So yes, open the software and disable everything. EQ, night mode, sbx surround, crystallizer, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #44,105 of 48,562
Ok.

But even without direct mode I think I notice the pop with other modes as well (5.1 sbx, 7.1 sbx)
Like I said, 5.1/7.1 can have pops. If you set it to 2 channel (when Atmos is off) it shouldn't be popping.

Then there's the fact you might have a bad usb port/cable. It may not even be the G6.

I still suggest turning off everything, including direct mode, making sure you're not on 5.1/7.1 either, and that the bit rate is not higher than 24/96 (which shouldn't be if Atmos is enabled.)

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #44,106 of 48,562
Sorry but this happens when I use dolby atmos for headphone (16bit 48hz) with the g6 set to direct more. I think it happens to all other modes as well and regardless of the source (video games, movies, etc.)

I suspect it's more of an USB problem than a problem with your G6.
If you have it connected to a hub try connecting directly to your PC.
If not try some different USB ports: 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.1 gen 2.
Also you're less likely to have it on the ports directly connected to the mainboard than ports on a bracket connected via a wire to the mainboard.
If you have it on all ports, try temporarily disconnecting some other devices.
If you must use a hub, prefer a 2.0 rather than 3.0 hub for devices that don't need 3.0.
Some devices don't work properly or fail to work alltogether on 3,0 hubs because they emit some kind of radiation. Wireless USB dongles often do not work.

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #44,107 of 48,562
I bought the g6 in January this year but only since a few days back I’ve started noticing this issue during games/movies: There is randomly a small but audible pop sound every 10-20 minutes or so. G6 and Windows 10 are both at the latest firmware. Any idea?
I get this sometimes too. I have experienced these problems on Xbox One X and PC with Atmos for headphone and PS Pro just with SBX in general so I don't think it's confined to Atmos for headphone. Close down Sound Blaster Connect completely (remove from system tray). Disconnect G6, give it 10 secs or so then reconnect and relaunch G6 if necessary that usually fixes it for the rest of the session. If using PS4 or Xbox sometimes a full reboot of the console is needed. Additionally my Xbox One X is prone to this problem with other DAC/amps and even through HDMI on speakers too.

Frequency and severity is particularly exacerbated for me if I let the connected system go into sleep / standby and then wake/resume a session without doing the above. Play time length may also have something to do with it once the problems start in a given session they get worse the longer I use.

You could try changing USB cords or using different USB ports. I changed to a cord with a ferrite bead and that seemed to help a bit but that could be placebo. I also changed to wall wart usb adapter power for the G6 rather than using the draw from the PS4 but not sure if it made much difference as I applied all of the above fixes at once rather than meticulously attempting to test each one individually in turn.

In any case, I have been able to mostly stop it from continuing by doing all of the above but the more I use sleep without doing the above, the more it comes back

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #44,109 of 48,562
Hey there, just got my new headphone today. What amp/dac should I get for lcd gx?
They're pretty sensitive, so practically any amp will work fine. Choose something that appeals to you and what you need out of it. Like, don't get the Schiit Hel if you need to plug in consoles, etc.

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #44,110 of 48,562
I just need some amp/dac so I can use the mic, I'm using a mojo and it's the worst if I want to gaming because I have to switch back to the normal plug
They're pretty sensitive, so practically any amp will work fine. Choose something that appeals to you and what you need out of it. Like, don't get the Schiit Hel if you need to plug in consoles, etc.

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #44,111 of 48,562
Maybe start out with Creative G6. That has a mic input, and works with everything. Just make sure you have a pc nearby to adjust the features on the G6 before you start using it.

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #44,113 of 48,562
If you're only playing on PC and don't wanna use virtual surround, then yes. If you plan on using it on anything else pr wanna use SBX, then go with the G6.

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #44,114 of 48,562
My G6 should arrive today and I'm trying to take in as much info as I can so setup will go smoothly. I feel like this question kind of answers itself but I just want to be sure. From what I've read Direct Mode does not work on PS4, for most games I want to use VSS but Rainbow Six Siege seems to do better with stereo in my experience. Will simply turning off SBX change the signal to stereo, or would I need to make an SBX profile in order to turn off processing? Thanks

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #44,115 of 48,562
My G6 should arrive today and I'm trying to take in as much info as I can so setup will go smoothly. I feel like this question kind of answers itself but I just want to be sure. From what I've read Direct Mode does not work on PS4, for most games I want to use VSS but Rainbow Six Siege seems to do better with stereo in my experience. Will simply turning off SBX change the signal to stereo, or would I need to make an SBX profile in order to turn off processing? Thanks
tbh, I don't understand why an fps would ever be better in plain stereo. Wouldn't the ability to better differentiate front and back always be desirable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back