Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 27, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #43,771 of 48,583
As far as fit. I tried the Clouds. I don’t believe I have a huge head. Though, I felt the headband didn’t extend down very far. Maybe with the construction of the Orbits being totally different, they might fit better. Either way, sound or fit, you should try them out yourself.
The Clouds and Orbits may as well be two different companies, because they are. The Orbit is an Audeze headphone. The Cloud isn't. So you can't extrapolate fit, comfort, from this because they have nothing in common other than them being sold by Kingston.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #43,772 of 48,583
In that case, can I hook up any headphone amp to my PC to push my 770 PRO 250ohm and still get the advantage of Atmos headphone??

Yes. You just enable/apply Atmos For headphone in the Windows audio settings to whatever device is acting as DAC to feed the amp in question. That would be your sound card or onboard sound chip or whatever external USB device such as the G6 or ASTRO Mixamp.

Am i better off with the G6 on PC and leave my MixAmp for PS4??

That’s up to you. For PC the G6 is a better choice because it is a more powerful and versatile dac/amp than the Astro for audio quality and fx features but for PS4, the G6 can’t do Dolby Headphone virtual surround by itself and obviously the Astro can’t do SBX, so ggo with whatever VSS solution you prefer for PS4.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #43,773 of 48,583
That's not a bad idea, and it's what I do. I have my G6 setup for my PC, and my Mixamp 5.8 converting anything connected to my TV that does Dolby Digital 5.1 for Dolby Headphone. Since my PC can't send DD 5.1 through hdmi to my TV, I can't get proper DH with it. But the Ps4 and whatever else I connect to my TV has that option, I'm covered.

Of course this is if you're TV has Dolby Digital passthrough. Some don't.

Yes. You just enable/apply Atmos For headphone in the Windows audio settings to whatever device is acting as DAC to feed the amp in question. That would be your sound card or onboard sound chip or whatever external USB device such as the G6 or ASTRO Mixamp.

That’s up to you. For PC the G6 is a better choice because it is a more powerful and versatile dac/amp than the Astro for audio quality and fx features but for PS4, the G6 can’t do Dolby Headphone virtual surround by itself and obviously the Astro can’t do SBX, so ggo with whatever VSS solution you prefer for PS4.

I really appreciate both of your help on this.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #43,774 of 48,583
The Clouds and Orbits may as well be two different companies, because they are. The Orbit is an Audeze headphone. The Cloud isn't. So you can't extrapolate fit, comfort, from this because they have nothing in common other than them being sold by Kingston.

I was only comparing the two hyperx headsets. Both of which are at the hyperx website. As for the Audeze, no idea. Never tried them.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #43,775 of 48,583

any chance you played with the orbit since you reviewed the Mobius

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #43,776 of 48,583
Has anyone tried the HyperX Orbits. Is it like the Mobius execept no Bluetooth and i am assuming for console it will only run in stereo.

thanks

This is what the website says about the audio of the hyperx orbits.

“ Get amazing audio across multiple devices — PC, PS4™, Xbox One™1, Mac®, Mobile device3, and Nintendo Switch™. The 3D audio technology is built into the headset, so no additional adapters are needed.”

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #43,777 of 48,583
I only see everyone here discuss about vss in game. What about movies? Most movies nowadays have truehd - dolby atmos track, but there’s no media player on pc can decode that properly to make it work with dolby atmos for headphone, so technically we lose the height channel data. Movies & TV app can decode atmos but only dolby digital plus - dolby atmos, not truehd - dolby atmos. Very disappointing.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #43,778 of 48,583
I only see everyone here discuss about vss in game. What about movies?
Perhaps because the title of this thread is “Mad Lust Envy’s Gaming Headphone Guide” . . .?

What about movies? Most movies nowadays have truehd - dolby atmos track, but there’s no media player on pc can decode that properly to make it work with dolby atmos for headphone, so technically we lose the height channel data.

Incorrect. It is doable on PC, just rather difficult and expensive if you want to do it legally.
If you want to use Atmos for headphone to get VSS with height cues from Atmos Blurays and UHD Blurays then the easiest and cheapest way is Xbox One S or Xbox One X.

any chance you played with the orbit since you reviewed the Mobius
It’s near enough the exact same headphone minus Bluetooth. Some users and reviewers have said that the clamping force is slightly more relaxed and one or two have claimed the tuning is a tad warmer although they may be conflating that with the ‘smiley’ EQ profile which was added for the Orbits, - not sure if the Mobius got it via firmware update or not.
[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #43,780 of 48,583

I’d love to know more about this. I noticed at the hyperx website that the orbits are using the audeze planar drivers. So it’s a audeze headphone branded and sold by a different company. Is this similar to a massdrop approach? i.e. more budget friendly?

It’s near enough the exact same headphone minus Bluetooth. Some users and reviewers have said that the clamping force is slightly more relaxed and one or two have claimed the tuning is a tad warmer although they may be conflating that with the ‘smiley’ EQ profile which was added for the Orbits, - not sure if the Mobius got it via firmware update or not.

I haven’t looked through your posts. So, I’ll just ask you here. Do you have extensive use with wireless headphones? If yes. What, in your mind would be the biggest or most common con when using wireless for long periods of time? The reason I ask is that I have only ever used wired.
[merged]

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #43,781 of 48,583
I only see everyone here discuss about vss in game. What about movies? Most movies nowadays have truehd - dolby atmos track, but there’s no media player on pc can decode that properly to make it work with dolby atmos for headphone, so technically we lose the height channel data. Movies & TV app can decode atmos but only dolby digital plus - dolby atmos, not truehd - dolby atmos. Very disappointing.

The Windows Netflix app (the app, not in browser) has Atmos content but I don't know if it's "true" atmos. (I didn't know there was dd+ atmos vs. trued HD atmos?)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #43,782 of 48,583
I haven’t looked through your posts. So, I’ll just ask you here. Do you have extensive use with wireless headphones? If yes. What, in your mind would be the biggest or most common con when using wireless for long periods of time? The reason I ask is that I have only ever used wired.
I have some experience but no more than many others on this thread. Latency, signal reliability and fidelity / quality are the well known cons but that will depend on the equipment in question and your own personal tolerances. It’s not an issue for many users.

As for “using wireless for long periods of time”, I’m not sure what you are getting at by specifying long usage sessions unless you are enquiring about possible health issues in which case, I’m not the right person to ask. I have only ever used three wireless headphones and they all gave me headaches after long sessions but that was probably to do with them not being particularly comfortable in terms of fit and clamping force over rather than anything else.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #43,783 of 48,583
TrueHD and Atmos are two different platforms. They’re not the same thing. TrueHD is better than Atmos. TrueHD Atmos doesn’t exist.

I have some experience but no more than many others on this thread. Latency, signal reliability and fidelity / quality are the well known cons but that will depend on the equipment in question and your own personal tolerances. It’s not an issue for many users.

As for “using wireless for long periods of time”, I’m not sure what you are getting at by specifying long usage sessions unless you are enquiring about possible health issues in which case, I’m not the right person to ask. I have only ever used three wireless headphones and they all gave me headaches after long sessions but that was probably to do with them not being particularly comfortable in terms of fit and clamping force over rather than anything else.

No health concerns. How long can you play before needing to charge them?

itunes, netflicks, amazon video, vudu all have atmos
[merged]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back