Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 26, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #43,756 of 48,562
I didn’t even know you could get an Atmos license. I’ll check that out. Thanks.

I do have to have to reiterate that my post above was more to do with me accepting the use of the THX 788 as a good-enough-as-is-for-gaming DAC/amp. I’m happy that it replaced the G6 as it gives me more options for headphones and other audio experiences, not just gaming.

It seems my apathy towards this subject has triggered some valid information that will improve my gaming audio with my hardware that I was unaware of.
Quick question about your THX, does it offer in-line L/R channel balance adjustment?

Thanks

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #43,757 of 48,562
Well that's not ENTIRELY true. Mostly true, yes.

But Dolby Pro Logic II can matrix in convincing surround from two channel sources.

True, but that "stereo" DPLII signal already has matrix information about two additional channels encoded into the stereo signal (using masking and phase shifting). So it is not a pure stereo signal.

From pure stereo, it's not possible (at least not yet :-D )

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #43,759 of 48,562
Then what is your absolute favorite closed-back for gaming?

TH-900, it's not isolating though. I'm curious for the HD 820 and Stellia but I won't be investing into any of them. Would love a HD 820 loaner but these things have time.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #43,760 of 48,562
TH-900, it's not isolating though. I'm curious for the HD 820 and Stellia but I won't be investing into any of them. Would love a HD 820 loaner but these things have time.

For me, HD820s is the king of wide enveloping soundstage (in closed headphones), but man is the frequency response wonky. To me, Sennheiser really failed with 820s, it's nowhere near the sound characteristics of HD800S and to my ears, even Focal Elegia sounds better in many respects (FR response). Happily, neither is to my liking, so I've taken a hard pass on both.

Still waiting for somebody to do the closed fully circumaural angled-driver, fully dynamic, low-distortion, Harman target curve, wired, non-DSP, comfortable headphone right. Stellia I've yet to hear myself.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #43,761 of 48,562
That's a pity about the HD 820. Focal Stellia is in a price range where I'd rather get a pair of ATC speakers.

btw, someone asked Creative about the surround percentages of SBX and what they do. The answer is indeed not very detailed and also nothing new. Kinda a pity why Creative is always so calm and secretive about their stuff. It's still decent info for beginners.

CREATIVE on SBX Surround Percentages of the BlasterX G6:

3 days ago

Hi everyone,

While I am unable to dive into details, here are the recommended levels for different usage.

• 12% - Gentle frontal expansion. (Recommended for Music)

• 25%-33% - More frontal expansion. (Recommended for FPS Games)

• 65%-67% - Expands to around the shoulders. (Recommended for Movies)

• 100 % - Expands beyond the shoulders. (Recommended for maximum "3D" Experience)
As for finding your "Sweet Spot", the recommended setup is as follows:

• Left & Right speaker - 0.5 meters apart.

• Listener - 0.5 meters away from the speakers (2 speakers & listener form a triangle)
While these are recommended settings, always remember that audio is subjective to each individual. Use the above as a guide and adjust according to your listening preference.

I hope this helps.

- Creative_Colin

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #43,762 of 48,562
Quick question about your THX, does it offer in-line L/R channel balance adjustment?

Thanks
I’m not aware that this is possible. What would this mean if it were?

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #43,763 of 48,562
I’m not aware that this is possible. What would this mean if it were?
It just means the gain for left and right stereo channels can either be adjusted independently or a degree of bias favoring one or the other can be set. Useful for those with mismatched cans, mismatched ears or mismatched content (mismatched as in imbalanced).

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #43,764 of 48,562
Question on Dolby Atmos Headphones: Do i need a 5.1/7.1 signal or is two channel giving me the proper "virtualization"?? Connecting my Astro MixAmp via optical and choosing Atmos Headphones, it defaults Windows back to a two channel signal instead of DDL and connecting via USB, Windows defaults the sound setting to two channel without being able to change it. Is this normal?!

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #43,765 of 48,562
Question on Dolby Atmos Headphones: Do i need a 5.1/7.1 signal or is two channel giving me the proper "virtualization"?? Connecting my Astro MixAmp via optical and choosing Atmos Headphones, it defaults Windows back to a two channel signal instead of DDL and connecting via USB, Windows defaults the sound setting to two channel without being able to change it. Is this normal?!
Yes, it’s normal.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #43,767 of 48,562
You only see two channels on Atmos, because the signal has already been pre-mixed down to two channels like every vss works. Its just that with things like the G6, it gets mixed down at the hardware level, not at the driver level like Atmos on Windows.

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #43,769 of 48,562
Am i better off with the G6 on PC and leave my MixAmp for PS4??

That's not a bad idea, and it's what I do. I have my G6 setup for my PC, and my Mixamp 5.8 converting anything connected to my TV that does Dolby Digital 5.1 for Dolby Headphone. Since my PC can't send DD 5.1 through hdmi to my TV, I can't get proper DH with it. But the Ps4 and whatever else I connect to my TV has that option, I'm covered.

Of course this is if you're TV has Dolby Digital passthrough. Some don't.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #43,770 of 48,562
Has anyone tried the HyperX Orbits. Is it like the Mobius execept no Bluetooth and i am assuming for console it will only run in stereo.

thanks

As far as fit. I tried the Clouds. I don’t believe I have a huge head. Though, I felt the headband didn’t extend down very far. Maybe with the construction of the Orbits being totally different, they might fit better. Either way, sound or fit, you should try them out yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back