Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #42,932 of 48,562
Good to know. Elex is more in my price range anyways, but any idea if they are similar to the clears in regards to soundstage?
The entire high end Focal lineup is like that. For music, yeah go ahead, for games even $120 PC37x beats them

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #42,935 of 48,562
Hey guys, since I can't find this info anywhere, does anyone know/has anyone tested if the Creative Sound BlasterX G6 works with a PS3?
For Mic purposes, dunno. For dac/amp purposes there’s no reason for it not to as you would be using the optical in for audio. Just set the PS3 to bitstream Dolby Digital and optical as the primary and you’re good to go. If for some reason the PS3 can’t power the unit properly then just use an external USB power source.

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #42,937 of 48,562
Well both those systems have been outdated and replaced by like 7 years. No reason to have a product launched what, last year, this year stating old system support. 360 I assume needs chat to be routed to the controller, and PS3 might maybe have barebones chat through usb. In terms of audio, both have optical out which the G6 fully supports via Dolby Digital.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #42,938 of 48,562
So, maybe I’m misunderstanding this as the Soundblaster X3 product page uses some different measurement specs to that on the SXFI Amp product page and maybe any differences would be too marginal for the average ear to perceive anyway, but the the two specs their product pages do both list, SNR and THD + N, appear to be weaker for the X3. . .?!

Soundblaster X3: 115dB SNR, 0.0004% THD + N
SXFI AMP: upto 120dB SNR, 0.0003% THD + N

Sep 27, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #42,939 of 48,562
So, maybe I’m misunderstanding this as the Soundblaster X3 product page uses some different measurement specs to that on the SXFI Amp product page and maybe any differences would be too marginal for the average ear to perceive anyway, but the the two specs their product pages do both list, SNR and THD + N, appear to be weaker for the X3. . .?!

Soundblaster X3: 115dB SNR, 0.0004% THD + N
SXFI AMP: upto 120dB SNR, 0.0003% THD + N
Unless your have an Audio Precision analyzer builtin your ears I wouldn't care.

Sep 27, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #42,940 of 48,562
Unless your have an Audio Precision analyzer builtin your ears I wouldn't care.
Given that the DAC is obviously different/cheaper (they make a big song and dance about the AMP using the AKM4377 but nothing on the X3), I wonder if the amplification side of components is weaker too? I mean the MSRP is markedly less despite having a whole heap more functionality / versatility.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #42,942 of 48,562
Hey guys Im looking to replace my 10+ year old trusty ath-a900s with the lcd-gx because planers have had my interest for a while, I'm not much of a music listener, but I watch a lot of movies and a ton of non competitive games on my PC. I imagine these will be a huge upgrade over my a900s. My real question is I'm using my marantz sr7010 to power my a900s connected to my PC via hdmi and really enjoy dts x headphone alot and use Dolby atmos only when the content is encoded with it. I'm not really looking to buy any headphone amp/dac combo if i don't have to which is why the gx really interests me as mle review seems to state this. I just upgraded my system to a gigabyte x570 aurous master (https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10) and wondering if this is a good enough mobo for these headphones or should I just keep using my marantz for the headphones and split the mic out to the onboard. I haven't tried my a900s with the new mobo but they were a lot worse on my previous mobo, asus crosshair vi, thanks for the help. I use a modmic wireless on my current setup so I will be losing that on the gx and as crappy as nvidia audio is with latency problems I would love to lose that on my pc and move to the onboard audio. 3rd option is would a sound card like evga nu blow both of these away?

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #42,943 of 48,562
if price doesn't matter, what's better for gaming: DT 1990 or Hifiman ananda?
I haven't heard the 1990, but I would always go planar before dynamic drivers.

And the Ananda does absolutely everything well. I think overall, the Ananda is probably the safest choice in headphones in the higher end market.

Sep 27, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #42,945 of 48,562
Do you like them more than the lcd gx meeting my questions in the above post?
Yes. The GX has some polarizing features. The Ananda may not be MAGICAL in one specific trait, but it's a do it all well kind of headphone. If I was gonna buy a headphone at that price range, personally that would be the one I would go for. Personally speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back