Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #41,956 of 48,562
So among all the different virtual surround devices you've tested which is the one you liked the most (for console gaming) in terms of surround sound?
Sennheiser GSX is my fave virtual surround, easily. But consoles don't really have devices with it.

Going back to Dolby Headphone, I really like the virtual surround though I can see why done people may not be a fan nof the reverb. It doesn't bother me

I think overall in general, SBX is the best choice for most people because it doesn't add much reverb. But I have an easier time pinpointing sounds with the GSX and Dolby Headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #41,957 of 48,562
You can find X2 on AliExpress for like $230

But if i buy another X2 i will have the same problems some years down the road so wouldn´t it be better to get a new pair of Headphones that won´t have this problems or you can at least get replacement parts for them?
I thought about the K712 with an adapter from mini XLR to 3,5mm so i could still use my BoomPro.
Don´t know if the GSX1200 will suffice to power them though.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #41,958 of 48,562
But if i buy another X2 i will have the same problems some years down the road so wouldn´t it be better to get a new pair of Headphones that won´t have this problems or you can at least get replacement parts for them?
I thought about the K712 with an adapter from mini XLR to 3,5mm so i could still use my BoomPro.
Don´t know if the GSX1200 will suffice to power them though.

The GSX can power phones like the AKG 7 series and Sennheiser 6 series and it can go loud enough.
BUT:
- you won't have much headroom (reserve) left so you will be playing high up the volume scale of your amp.
- phones like the ones mentioned above sound better with quality amplification. I have my GSX connected to my HDVA600.

The question remains if it is necessary to have high-end amplification for your games. For music I'd say yes but for games I think the GSX does fine.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #41,960 of 48,562
Hello,

I'm torn between the Denon D7000, D7200 and Fostex TH900 ( for everything, gaming, movies and music ).I can get both Denons at the same price of 530$, 7000 used and 7200 new, while the TH900 is double that.
I want the most FUN to listen to while still maintaining excellent resolution and great soundstage.
Is the price difference between the denons and TH900 really justified ?

Any suggestions ?
Forgot to mention that I have the X2HR hooked up to the G6, and while they're fun, I just can't stand the grain they produce anymore.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #41,961 of 48,562
Hello all I currently have a dt 990 and modmic 5 I was debating on buying a creative g6 for my ps4 pro and PC, astro mixamp pro tr or I was going to buy a sxfi amp and antilion USB sound card for the mic and connect both to the ps4 and PC. Any advise or opinions on either product or any other recommendations

Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #41,962 of 48,562
There are some bad things about MixAmp Pro TR, but ability to pinpoint sound directions is not one of them. Who knows if there are some bad units or if there is a huge variation in our personal ability how we can hear vss.

This is me playing CoD BO III right after I got MixAmp Pro TR:

I can locate enemies with it just as good as with G6 and even better than with older MixAmp altough the older MixAmp sounds more natural and organic.

Are you using a custom EQ? If so, which one? Dolby ON?

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #41,966 of 48,562
No. I just ment that I used my MixAmp for gaming only and never turned the dolby button (vss) off. It is the feature why I used the MixAmp.

I've actually misread your previous post so my question was stupid. I wish there were some custom EQs for the AD700X as well but it seems like all the custom EQs I've tried are tuned for the Astro headphones and don't sound that good with my AD...

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #41,967 of 48,562
I've actually misread your previous post so my question was stupid. I wish there were some custom EQs for the AD700X as well but it seems like all the custom EQs I've tried are tuned for the Astro headphones and don't sound that good with my AD...

That is the problem with MixAmp TR, presets and those EQ:s that are shared on Astro forum. They are made for A40's. You can try to find if there is a EQ close to your liking and fine tune it from there.

With older MixAmps and Sound BlasterX G6 the sound is good without any EQ. At least with my Sennheiser headphones.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #41,968 of 48,562
That is the problem with MixAmp TR, presets and those EQ:s that are shared on Astro forum. They are made for A40's. You can try to find if there is a EQ close to your liking and fine tune it from there.

With older MixAmps and Sound BlasterX G6 the sound is good without any EQ. At least with my Sennheiser headphones.

I know nothing about frequencies and bandwidth with regard to music therefore I have I settle for the custom eqs I find on the astro forum...I'm thinking of selling the TR to purchase either an old mixamp (2013 edition) or a g6...

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #41,969 of 48,562
Despite the flawed test methodology Linus managed to arrive at the same conclusion we've arrived.

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #41,970 of 48,562
I just skipped to the weird graphs. Did he conclude VSS actually works? Maybe this will stop the endless "stereo is always superior and virtual surround is a gimmick" echo chamber amongst the plebes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back