Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 20, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #41,746 of 48,562
Creative needs to revamp their lineup with the audio DSP from this device. Presumably the "SXFI" HRTF personalization they do with the pictures can be used on anything, and from their marketing it looks like they intend on doing that. An X7 like device that just incorporated your customized file for example would be a killer product.

I feel like they are banking on the phone dongle revolution being their "in" here for folks to buy this, but I think this thing is a lot more than a way to listen to stuff on your phone with a cool room speakers effect bonus.

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #41,747 of 48,562
Creative needs to revamp their lineup with the audio DSP from this device. Presumably the "SXFI" HRTF personalization they do with the pictures can be used on anything, and from their marketing it looks like they intend on doing that. An X7 like device that just incorporated your customized file for example would be a killer product.

I feel like they are banking on the phone dongle revolution being their "in" here for folks to buy this, but I think this thing is a lot more than a way to listen to stuff on your phone with a cool room speakers effect bonus.
Agreed! Gaming and movies would have been a better use for the device...maybe they are trying to get a larger market demographic?

In any event. Is there a way to pass the PS4 DOlby Digital 5.1 audio via optical to a computer and then pass it through and out via USB to the SX-Fi? I ask cause i’m pretty sure that the PS4 doesn’t output 5.1 dd via USB.

Anybody have any idea of how to get Dolby Digital 5.1 from a PS4 to the SX-Fi?

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #41,750 of 48,562
It can only connect via USB, so seems intended to be a portable DACs/amp.

Trying to see how to get 5.1 dd from the PS4 to it to use for gaming as it seems like it would be great for gaming. Hopefully someone here will know a way!

There is no easy way I am aware of. You need to have a chain of device or a single device that (a) decodes the DD+ bitstream and either (b) sends it out via USB PCM (another user pointed me to this device which costs a cool $3k or (c) sends it out via analog multi channel line outs (these devices are common and cheap) and then (d) you need to convert those analog signals into USB. For the last part D as far as I can tell you would need a chain of a multi channel analog to digital interface (Behringer makes the cheapest ones) plus an ADAT to USB converter since all of the interfaces I can find do their digital conversation to optical or ADAT not USB.

So in other words: the answer is no, sadly. Unless you want to spend thousands of dollars or have a mess of ugly boxes and wires.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #41,751 of 48,562
Thanks to this thread I ended up buying the AKG Q701's 5 years ago due to the clarity and soundstage they provide since I mainly use them for competitive gaming and FPS, I am also very happy listening to everything else whether it's other type of games or music/movies, etc.

Sadly the past few years I have to been constantly soldering the internal wiring since a cable always comes off after a few months of use and I'm at a point where I think it's just better to replace them.

I've been hearing great things about the Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee's and at $150 they seem like a great deal but can someone tell me what to expect from them compared to my Q701's? My main concern is soundstage and imaging as my primary use is competitive gaming and knowing where my opponents are, etc.

The only audiophile headphones I've ever tried have been the Q701's so I really don't know what to expect from the Jubilee's, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #41,752 of 48,562
Sadly the past few years I have to been constantly soldering the internal wiring since a I've been hearing great things about the Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee's and at $150 they seem like a great deal but can someone tell me what to expect from them compared to my Q701's? My main concern is soundstage and imaging as my primary use is competitive gaming and knowing where my opponents are
58X have great imaging but narrow soundstage. I’d suggest the k702 on amazon since it’s priced under $200

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #41,753 of 48,562
I scored a used Mixamp 5.8 with official rechargable battery for $50 on Ebay. Arrived today. Aux In doesn't work (which I wanted to connect the GSX1000 to), but everything else works perfectly. For the price, I'm happy. I connected the Creative G6 via optical.

Bought it because I want something for late night use and not be tethered. My PortaPro wireless gets abused daily at work, and I don't wanna deal with the hassle of constantly repairing it between so many devices. Now I can use my HE400 "wirelessly", and the KSC75X I have that doesn't get much use because I hardly ever touch my Nintendo Switch, but absolutely will use the 75X now at home.

I got incredibly lucky. These things usually go for much more. Just the RX unit tends to cost more than this. Christmas/bday present for me.

Oh wow, just updated the G6 drivers and stuff, and it looks like they addressed most of the original complaints I had with the software. Creative, you guys did a bang up job. I love that now whether the program is fully open or in a small window, the list is still in the same order, etc. The switch between applying headphone surround to headphone or optical/line out is now a checked box box instead of having to choose is also a very nice, more intuitive touch.

The settings and sign in still move away from the other options, but it's not a big deal really. I guess they really want it on the bottom.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #41,754 of 48,562
I scored a used Mixamp 5.8 with official rechargable battery for $50 on Ebay. Arrived today. Aux In doesn't work (which I wanted to connect the GSX1000 to), but everything else works perfectly. For the price, I'm happy. I connected the Creative G6 via optical.

Bought it because I want something for late night use and not be tethered. My PortaPro wireless gets abused daily at work, and I don't wanna deal with the hassle of constantly repairing it between so many devices. Now I can use my HE400 "wirelessly", and the KSC75X I have that doesn't get much use because I hardly ever touch my Nintendo Switch, but absolutely will use the 75X now at home.

I got incredibly lucky. These things usually go for much more. Just the RX unit tends to cost more than this. Christmas/bday present for me.

I secured a 5.8 for £38 today with official battery also :)

I have a G6 already also but as I play in the lounge, sometimes don't want cables across the floor etc. Presumably connecting via the optical on the G6 only is for preserving the SBX effects and has no other benefits? From when I had one before, I'm guessing the 5.8 will only want to be paired with very efficient headphones (thinking of using my SHP9500 with it and saving my other devices for when plugged directly into the G6).

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #41,755 of 48,562
On the PS4 do you use Dolby Digital 5.1? In a game like Battlefield for example what should you use? Headphones or home theater?

Actually try this. I don't have a ps4 so I'm not sure where the exact settings will be. But for BFV set your PS4 to stereo and turn off any Dolby settings on your headphones. Enable the in game 3d audio. This audio settings is a binaural recording and it sounds amazing. Give it a go.

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #41,756 of 48,562
Actually try this. I don't have a ps4 so I'm not sure where the exact settings will be. But for BFV set your PS4 to stereo and turn off any Dolby settings on your headphones. Enable the in game 3d audio. This audio settings is a binaural recording and it sounds amazing. Give it a go.

This is what I do also on PS4. Can confirm it sounds great

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #41,757 of 48,562
So I’ve got a G6 but I’m also planning to get a Schiit Modi 3 and Magni. If I send the G6 optical to the Schiit stack will everything still work? As in SBX and all of the Mixing options? Would it be better to just use the G6 as a dac for the Magni, or would the Modi 3 sound any better?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #41,758 of 48,562
So I’ve got a G6 but I’m also planning to get a Schiit Modi 3 and Magni. If I send the G6 optical to the Schiit stack will everything still work? As in SBX and all of the Mixing options? Would it be better to just use the G6 as a dac for the Magni, or would the Modi 3 sound any better?
Yes and all dacs under $200 I’ve tried sound the same so I would get a magni or jds atom and use the g6 as a dac

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #41,759 of 48,562
So I’ve got a G6 but I’m also planning to get a Schiit Modi 3 and Magni. If I send the G6 optical to the Schiit stack will everything still work? As in SBX and all of the Mixing options? Would it be better to just use the G6 as a DAC for the Magni, or would the Modi 3 sound any better?
If you have a Creative Labs X G6, why even buy the Schiit stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back