Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #41,371 of 48,562
GSP500 if all you want to do with it is gaming. It's a step up from a game one and both are by far the best options you have mentioned for headsets.

598 or 599 if you want to listen some music as well and amp with your G6.

K7xx or K702 (but I'd take the 7XX0 for some music as well but you'll need a decent headphone amp to get the best out of these. They are nicely spatial for gaming though and would do well with your G6 for gaming but to really hear what they ca do with music you need a quality amp.

Thanks you for your recommendation. If i would go the headphone route what is your opinion on snowball or yeti mic vs mod mic

thanks again

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #41,375 of 48,562
Im a real newbie to audio world. I only play on PC. Im coming from Astro a40 with tr mix amp. I strictly only play fps and battle royal games, so mostly now black ops 4. I know people say audio is subjective but what would be the best top 3 headphones? I can spend anything up to $300 and maybe more. im leaning towards AKG k7XX, ATH-AD900X or 700x, or Philips Fidelio X2. if you have better suggestions please let me know.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #41,376 of 48,562
Sennheiser PC37X. $119 on Massdrop. More of a fun tuning, but still great for FPS. Gives you a good baseline for cheap, it's super efficient (when I need I mic I just plug them into the Xbox controller). They compete well enough to get you out of the $300 range in my opinion.

I really enjoy my Monoprice M1060. I've modded the crap out of them, but they're fun as hell. They've improved them since my first version issue. Great bass, and I would still go open. $300 well spent, plus the additional $80 or so on pads and 3D printed plastic.

Mod mic is great. Braid the cables so it isn't a mess if you decide to go headphone plus mic. Super easy to do and undo.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #41,377 of 48,562
Hey thanks for all your help one last question would you recommend the G6 over the GSX 1200 it looks like they are selling close to the same price

I have the GSX1000 (basically same as the 1200 with less multiplayer functions if I remember it right) and I like the surround sound it produces.
I never heard the G6 put it will probably be nice as well. A lot of people just wrote about the G6 in this thread so I suggest you read their posts.
The GSX can power the gaming headsets and Senn 500 series but I'd suggest better amping for the 600 series and K7XX.
I have the GSX connected to my HDVA600 amp so I can enjoy its surround with better amping for all my cans.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #41,378 of 48,562
Sennheiser PC37X. $119 on Massdrop. More of a fun tuning, but still great for FPS. Gives you a good baseline for cheap, it's super efficient (when I need I mic I just plug them into the Xbox controller). They compete well enough to get you out of the $300 range in my opinion.

I really enjoy my Monoprice M1060. I've modded the crap out of them, but they're fun as hell. They've improved them since my first version issue. Great bass, and I would still go open. $300 well spent, plus the additional $80 or so on pads and 3D printed plastic.

Mod mic is great. Braid the cables so it isn't a mess if you decide to go headphone plus mic. Super easy to do and undo.
ModMic 5 even includes cable wrap and clips so it's even cleaner now

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #41,379 of 48,562

would you recommend the PC37X or the Game One's if both are the exact same price roughly.

thanks

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #41,380 of 48,562
With the vast knowledge in this thread, have we agreed on the best headphones you can possibly buy for PC gaming when money isn't a factor? I'm talking about normal (production) headphones you can buy every day and not one-off limited edition $10k BS headphones that come out from time to time. I also don't need a mic.

I'm assuming it's the Sennheiser HD 800/800S from my current research.

My biggest question/concern is this though: We all know PC video games probably don't use the highest fidelity sound files, I'm wondering if there virtually would be no difference between like a $750 Sennheiser HD700 and a $1700 HD 800S. Has anyone found any scientific data or graphs to see where the line is drawn or is it just opinions?

I'm looking to get the best sound setup possible in the future if budget isn't an issue but I'm not dumb enough to assume more expensive = better for specific scenarios such as PC gaming. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: FYI I have a Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 PCIE internal sound card but willing to go external DAC if needed

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #41,381 of 48,562
With the vast knowledge in this thread, have we agreed on the best headphones you can possibly buy for PC gaming when money isn't a factor? I'm talking about normal (production) headphones you can buy every day and not one-off limited edition $10k BS headphones that come out from time to time. I also don't need a mic.
I'm assuming it's the Sennheiser HD 800/800S from my current research.
My biggest question/concern is this though: We all know PC video games probably don't use the highest fidelity sound files, I'm wondering if there virtually would be no difference between like a $750 Sennheiser HD700 and a $1700 HD 800S. Has anyone found any scientific data or graphs to see where the line is drawn or is it just opinions?
I'm looking to get the best sound setup possible in the future if budget isn't an issue but I'm not dumb enough to assume more expensive = better for specific scenarios such as PC gaming. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
EDIT: FYI I have a Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 PCIE internal sound card but willing to go external DAC if needed

My opinion and two cents.
Never heard anyone say they have found headphones that are better (in general) at FPS gaming, then the Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X) or AKG K700 series headphones.
And both of them cost way less then the HD800.

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #41,382 of 48,562
Im a real newbie to audio world. I only play on PC. I'm coming from Astro A40 with tr mix amp. I strictly only play fps and battle royal games, so mostly now black ops 4. I know people say audio is subjective but what would be the best top 3 headphones? I can spend anything up to $300 and maybe more. I'm leaning towards AKG k7XX, ATH-AD900X or 700x, or Philips Fidelio X2. if you have better suggestions please let me know.
For PC FPS gaming, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card and Audio Technica ATH-AD700X headphones or Sennheiser HD598 or Audio Technica ATH-AD900X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back