Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 23, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #41,388 of 48,566
Has anyone had any experience with the ATH-ADG1X my friend found them used and was debating on picking them up.

thanks

Had them and thought in general they were great. Loved the sound of them for gaming. Negatives were minor tbh but collectively annoyed me - mic couldn’t be moved completely out of peripheral vision when not needed, build felt very flimsy to me and the main one was the awful attached cable (had a complete mind of its own).

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #41,389 of 48,566
Had them and thought in general they were great. Loved the sound of them for gaming. Negatives were minor tbh but collectively annoyed me - mic couldn’t be moved completely out of peripheral vision when not needed, build felt very flimsy to me and the main one was the awful attached cable (had a complete mind of its own).

thanks for the comment will let him know

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #41,390 of 48,566
With the vast knowledge in this thread, have we agreed on the best headphones you can possibly buy for PC gaming when money isn't a factor? I'm talking about normal (production) headphones you can buy every day and not one-off limited edition $10k BS headphones that come out from time to time. I also don't need a mic.

I'm assuming it's the Sennheiser HD 800/800S from my current research.

My biggest question/concern is this though: We all know PC video games probably don't use the highest fidelity sound files, I'm wondering if there virtually would be no difference between like a $750 Sennheiser HD700 and a $1700 HD 800S. Has anyone found any scientific data or graphs to see where the line is drawn or is it just opinions?

I'm looking to get the best sound setup possible in the future if budget isn't an issue but I'm not dumb enough to assume more expensive = better for specific scenarios such as PC gaming. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: FYI I have a Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 PCIE internal sound card but willing to go external DAC if needed

If you have a HD800(S) it's of course a great idea to use it for gaming as well but I don't think it's worth it to spend that much on a headphone just for gaming purposes.
I concur with the AK700 series that have been recommended here as great high-end headphones (disregard prices) that perform well for gaming, I had a few from that series. I don't know the AD700.
I can really recommend the HD700 for gaming as well which I bought new for 400€. It pays to look around a bit when buying Senns.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #41,391 of 48,566
I need an external DAC/amp strictly for PC use, and even after reading @MLE's reviews and this entire thread I'm not sure if I should be going with the G6 or the GSX-1000/1200. Pricing up here in Canada is close between the two ($200 for the G6, but the GSX-1200 is $257 on Amazon right now). I currently have Shure SRH-840s and an old pair of Senn HD-555s, though I might pick up the HD 58X. I know the G6 will do a better job of driving the 58X, even without external gear, but the software seems flakey and some users report clicking. General consensus seems to be that the GSX-1000/1200 has slightly better surround and "just works". I dual boot a PC/Hackintosh, and while my X-fi Forte still works well on the PC side I can't get it working in macOS.

Any opinions from current G6 or GSX-1000/1200 owners? Thanks in advance.

I came from a G5 to the GSX1000 and never looked back. The GSX VSS was a noticeable improvement for me, especially rear cues now sounded they were actually coming from the rear. Don't know about the G6, but I guess it's the same SBX as on the G5. However, the option to line out SBX on the G6 is really nice and something I dearly miss on the GSX.

Just get the GSX and see if it can drive your headphones, or get both and return the inferior device after testing.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #41,393 of 48,566
Has anyone had any experience with the ATH-ADG1X my friend found them used and was debating on picking them up.

thanks
hi,

I have the ath-adg1x and the ath-adg1, the x has a better positioned mic, it can get closer to your mouth, the non x set sounds distant and like you are on a confrence call as you need to up the mic gain and this introduces a little more room noise.

the sound of both of them is the same. also they both sound like the ad700 with a mic slapped on them, the x model has a longer cable and the non x cable is so short it almost needs an extension cable.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #41,394 of 48,566
With the vast knowledge in this thread, have we agreed on the best headphones you can possibly buy for PC gaming when money isn't a factor? I'm talking about normal (production) headphones you can buy every day and not one-off limited edition $10k BS headphones that come out from time to time. I also don't need a mic.

I'm assuming it's the Sennheiser HD 800/800S from my current research.

My biggest question/concern is this though: We all know PC video games probably don't use the highest fidelity sound files, I'm wondering if there virtually would be no difference between like a $750 Sennheiser HD700 and a $1700 HD 800S. Has anyone found any scientific data or graphs to see where the line is drawn or is it just opinions?

I'm looking to get the best sound setup possible in the future if budget isn't an issue but I'm not dumb enough to assume more expensive = better for specific scenarios such as PC gaming. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: FYI I have a Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 PCIE internal sound card but willing to go external DAC if needed

1) Smyth Research Realizer A16. Should launch in the next 6 months. Huge thread here. Atmos, DTS-X, 9.6.1 channel. Can record any surround sound room in the world and mimic it through headphones. You can record one speaker and create an Atmos setup from that. Cost? $4,000 give or take. I was lucky, along with a few others in this thread to get in under half that price. Kickstarter backers got in for like $800. The wait has been LONG.

X7 or G6 for consoles and PC, Senns thing if your PC only, if $4K is not realistic, which isn't for the vast majority. It does everything, and depends on the user.

2) Headphones are really user specific. But generally, great headphones make great surround headphones. Some think it's crazy to spend a lot for gaming cans. My entire setup is mostly based on surround use, 80% of that gaming. Music listening is usually through my 2 channel system. I don't want to talk about how much I've spent, but I don't regret any of it! I have headphones for pure fun, sound whoring, and somewhere in the middle. Outside of my best headphone, the rest all have trade offs. The HE-X V2s really do everything well with an expansive soundstage. I would imagine the HD800 series would be just as awesome overall. I would think it would be worth the expense if you use them.

Electrostatic headphones might be awesome, haven't tried yet. I prefer planar to dynamic drivers. That's me though, everyone is different. I also have a very distinct sound preference, and I loved the HE-X far more than the HD800. I'm just glad I know what I'm looking for in a headphone. I still may pick up an HD800S after the A16 arrives. It was the headphone they used designing it.

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #41,397 of 48,566
I'll be shocked if we don't have it in 6 months. But, I'm not anxious about it because I have no clue. When it ships, it ships. Life goes on, I still enjoy the great gear I have in the time being. Everyday it isn't here I save money, lol.

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #41,398 of 48,566
Hey thanks everyone for the help I am still debating between the game ones, pc37x and now the HD 598 with mod mic. I will be getting the gsx 1200 (cheaper then 1000 on amazon canada) or the G6 (maybe G5 since the G6 doesnt seem to be available in canada yet). My only debate is I am hearing the hd598 sr are basically the game ones as far as sound is concerned. Is the mod mic + HD 598sr that much better then the game ones. Same idea goes for the pc37x the are the same drivers as the hd598 and 600. So will this be better then the HD598 and game ones. Also is having the modmic separate that much better then mic on a headset.

Thanks in advance

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #41,399 of 48,566
Hey thanks everyone for the help I am still debating between the game ones, pc37x and now the HD 598 with mod mic. I will be getting the gsx 1200 (cheaper then 1000 on amazon canada) or the G6 (maybe G5 since the G6 doesnt seem to be available in canada yet). My only debate is I am hearing the hd598 sr are basically the game ones as far as sound is concerned. Is the mod mic + HD 598sr that much better then the game ones. Same idea goes for the pc37x the are the same drivers as the hd598 and 600. So will this be better then the HD598 and game ones. Also is having the modmic separate that much better then mic on a headset.

Thanks in advance
hi,

i have the pc360 (err think that was it, the ones that became the game one's) and the hd599 which you didn't mention, but they do sound different when you a/b them but both have the same house sound, they sound very nice, when i read reviews about the hd600 and hd650 and they say they just sound right, i cry as i find them too warm and muffled, the hd599 and its range to me sound natural, they sound the most natural to me.

i took out all the crap in the pc360s behind the drives and also took the volume wheel out of line and they sound more open than the hd599. both are really nice sounding, i find the pc360 better for gaming but i think many may say the hd599 are more mature sounding?

having said this i like k701 q701 ad700 t70's ad2000 and hd800's so i kinda prefer cold detailed sounds.

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #41,400 of 48,566
hi,

i have the pc360 (err think that was it, the ones that became the game one's) and the hd599 which you didn't mention, but they do sound different when you a/b them but both have the same house sound, they sound very nice, when i read reviews about the hd600 and hd650 and they say they just sound right, i cry as i find them too warm and muffled, the hd599 and its range to me sound natural, they sound the most natural to me.

i took out all the **** in the pc360s behind the drives and also took the volume wheel out of line and they sound more open than the hd599. both are really nice sounding, i find the pc360 better for gaming but i think many may say the hd599 are more mature sounding?

having said this i like k701 q701 ad700 t70's ad2000 and hd800's so i kinda prefer cold detailed sounds.

hey thanks for all that before i just picked up any gaming headset now i am learning so much more and so many options lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back