Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 25, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #41,416 of 48,562
rtings has been doing some measurements on soundstage in headphones. For the purposes of gaming and virtual surround sound, I think the best idea is to have a PRIR that is close to flat (so it doesn't interfere with the virtual surround sound) . Surprisingly, the hd800s and hd700 don't do that, but the inexpensive audio technica ad700x and grado sr80e do.

From the rtings review "The soundstage of the SR80e is mediocre. Due to their on-ear design, the Grados don't interact with the pinna and don't activate its resonances. That's why the PRTF response is basically a flat line. This results in a soundstage that is perceived as small and located inside the listener's head."

I don't get why those would be the better headphones for virtual surround gaming.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #41,417 of 48,562
GSP500 is a nice improvement on the Game One, the better choice thus.
But have you read the very first post in this thread? It’s about the best and most informative post on this whole forum, I read it from top to bottom and enjoyed it as much as a good novel ...
I did read fist post, maybe I just missed or misunderstood something while reading (not my native language, not easy for me, sry :) ) . My concerns is following.
1. I'm considerin myself a competitive gamer, I'm not that picky about movies and music sound quality, especially bass (all kinds of rock and heavy metal for me). Mine sennheiser 363D plugged in asus xonar essence STX was almost perfect for games (now, after reading this thread, I do realise, that mine ingame audio settings could mess with DH settings, that's why I just turned it off later. AND I had nothing to compare mine sennheisers to.).
I wanna change my old sennheiser 363D and pick more competitive option if it's exists. From what I have read here, I really liked review of AKG K701. I know, everybody saying that AD700 is better option for pure competetive, but phrase "They also sound somewhat artificial, so don't expect accurate and realistic sounds coming from this headphone." is a bit of turn off.
Is it So much better (AKG K701 I mean) than Game one (or GSP 500 for that matter)? I got used to cool mic of sennheiser, but if it means to ditch it for better sound persition and soundstage, i wanna consider it.
I reccomended this thread to my friend and he chose Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm and LOVED them. And in the review here was stated: "...I happily sold the killer K701s as I saw no need to own anything for gaming after the 990s at the time". So should I get Beyerdynamic DT990 for 5.1/7.1 gaming then? Mine soundcard can supprot 250 ohm for shure. Whould be it better option sound wise than sennihiser GSP 500?
OMG, I'm so confused :triportsad:.

Oh, important note, it's really difficult for me (in where I live) to just take headphones in the store and just listen for them (95% of them needed shipment from across the country). Sorry about that, this is mostly the reason I'm asking here about that, and I really glad here is so much people willing to help :)

2. Probably should ask this part on "The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio...", but worth a try, huh? I'm upgrading my pc (almost whole) and considering ditching mine asus xonar essence STX. I got the feeling that internal sound card is adding some buzz to my mic (I got it recorded even when mic was turned off), and, I heard that essense STX not the best choice for gaming. Sholud I get rid of it and get some external audio card? And if so, is it worth to check Sennheiser GSX1000 recomended in this thread ("...and I think GSX surround may be the best virtual surround out". BUT Sennheiser GSX1000 has max 150OHM headphones supprot, so no Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm for me then...

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #41,418 of 48,562
GSP500 is a nice improvement on the Game One, the better choice thus.
But have you read the very first post in this thread? It’s about the best and most informative post on this whole forum, I read it from top to bottom and enjoyed it as much as a good novel ...

Just to provide a different angle to this (and to demonstrate just how ‘personal’ headphone choice is, I retained my Game One and sent the GSP500 back - if I was buying I’d save the cash and get the Game One.

Really is no substitute for trying yourself if possible though.

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #41,419 of 48,562
From the rtings review "The soundstage of the SR80e is mediocre. Due to their on-ear design, the Grados don't interact with the pinna and don't activate its resonances. That's why the PRTF response is basically a flat line. This results in a soundstage that is perceived as small and located inside the listener's head."

I don't get why those would be the better headphones for virtual surround gaming.

So, with virtual surround sound, you get pinna effects already baked into the audio, and they change based on where objects in game are. With that headphone prtf, it's fixed regardless of object location, so I don't see why it would be helpful, and it might interfere with the other effects.

But with music, since it doesn't have pinna effects, it can help.

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #41,420 of 48,562
Has anyone here used Sony MDR-HW700DS (on PS4)?
I normally game in stereo with HD800, but I sometimes use Creative X7 for virtual surround sound, and I wonder if there's anything better that works on PS4 that is not Dolby Headphone.
I have Mobius, and the 3D audio produces an awfully harsh, hollow and tinny sound when the Room Ambience is set to 100%. It's not as terrible when it's at default (ca. 40%), but then there's barely any surround effect.

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #41,421 of 48,562
So, with virtual surround sound, you get pinna effects already baked into the audio, and they change based on where objects in game are. With that headphone prtf, it's fixed regardless of object location, so I don't see why it would be helpful, and it might interfere with the other effects.

But with music, since it doesn't have pinna effects, it can help.

Ok. Now I get the point in theory.

For the last 8 years that I have been playing FPS games with different headphones and virtual surround (20 years of FPS games but not with virtual surround). The flatness of the PRTF response just doesn't correlate how I would rate the headphones that I have used for the virtual surround gaming. Imaging (direction), soundstage (distance), good mids and highs (for hearing footsteps etc.) are the factors for me. And of course the comfort.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #41,422 of 48,562
Just to provide a different angle to this (and to demonstrate just how ‘personal’ headphone choice is, I retained my Game One and sent the GSP500 back - if I was buying I’d save the cash and get the Game One.

Really is no substitute for trying yourself if possible though.

Have to concur with that. I did the opposite with the GSP600 and Game Zero, got both in and sent the Zero back.
Indeed headphones are a personal choice and for gaming it depends on what you are looking for as well.
I am more looking for immersion than positioning though you always will want a bit of both.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #41,423 of 48,562
I haven't been following the last few pages too closely, but if the question is the G6 for PC use: in my personal opinion, as far as $150 Creative products go, the G6 is inferior to the E5 purely for PC use. Much better sounding EQ software, more features (e.g. bluetooth and phone app), same 7.1 SBX, for the same price. I believe the internals are the same (same Cirrus Logic DAC, same Texas Instruments amp). If I were going PC only I'd opt for the E5 or the GSX1000, if you don't need line out. G6 is console only to me.

By any chance did you try the GSX 1000 with a mic i was watching some youtube reviews and it seem to lower the quality of the mic. Wondering if the G6 or the E5 (Which i will google after this impact the mic clarity)

thanks

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #41,424 of 48,562
The G6 has a new driver update. 10-19-18

CLICK HERE

I haven't tested it yet, and it doesn't say anything about fixing the settings issue, but perhaps t may have been a stealth fix. Doesn't hurt to download it and see.

So, I downloaded this last night. On the driver details section under What's New, it says it "Fixes clicking/popping/crackling sound when playback 32bit or DSD format." In my limited testing with the G6 so far, I had kept it in 32/96 and did notice an occasional digital chirping/bleeping distortion sound. As such, I was hopeful this would improve that. And yet, oddly, it seemed to occur a little bit more post-update.

For reference, I was testing only on PS4, but I was of course on PC first for the driver update and to make sure my settings stuck. I also just had my SportaPros plugged into the headphone jack, so no line out in the chain.

I played a little bit of Rocket League as well as watched a couple things on YouTube and Netflix. I heard the distortion a couple times on RL, a few times on YT, and oddly most frequently on Netflix. I watched about 30 min of a show and it occurred at least 3 or 4 times. I backed some of the sequences up to see if it would happen again in the same spot, and it didn't.

After that, I decided to just drop it down to 24/96 before I went to bed. I'm eagerly awaiting to jump into RDR2 tonight and didn't want any audio distortion to mar the experience!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #41,425 of 48,562
as i sit here and keep reading others post, i wonder did i make a mistake and waste money with G6?!?!? Should just return and save $50 to get the G5 or should i exchange for E5. I only game on PC and play competitive FPS and Battle Royal games. What is the 24-bit/192kHz, 120dB on G5/E5 vs 32-bit/384kHz, 130dB on G6 mean!?!? also what about something like
Creative Sound Blaster E1 this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2JATL...d_r=51c83ae3-d875-11e8-8a27-e7c97784a407&th=1

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #41,426 of 48,562
as i sit here and keep reading others post, i wonder did i make a mistake and waste money with G6?!?!? Should just return and save $50 to get the G5 or should i exchange for E5. I only game on PC and play competitive FPS and Battle Royal games. What is the 24-bit/192kHz, 120dB on G5/E5 vs 32-bit/384kHz, 130dB on G6 mean!?!? also what about something like
Creative Sound Blaster E1 this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2JATL...d_r=51c83ae3-d875-11e8-8a27-e7c97784a407&th=1

Do you plug the mic in the G6? How does it sound? Also would you know the difference between the Z line and the AE Series

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #41,427 of 48,562
Do you plug the mic in the G6? How does it sound? Also would you know the difference between the Z line and the AE Series
G6 has a mic plug in on front. I guess it sounds good, people I play with havent said anything bad about how I sound. Z vs AE I think one is aimed towards gaming but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else wkth more knowledge will chime. in

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #41,429 of 48,562
Hi just curious i was watching a review on the GSX and one of the issue was the mic became less natural did you notice that and how did it compare to the G5 thanks

I didn't test the mic myself, but none of my friends have complained online about mic quality. I've also been following the whole GSX thread on head-fi and I don't recall anyone mention it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #41,430 of 48,562
To anyone insterested, The G6 is currently 129.99 on Creative's site. Not bad for what you get at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back