Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #41,132 of 48,562
Question about fixed soundstage - in regards to Audeze's Mobius and VR in general.

This article (and others) states:

"If all you’re looking for is surround sound, you might not want to spring the extra $100 for head tracking, regardless of how cool it is. If you’re into VR, however? Boy, oh boy. When you’re immersed in a virtual environment, with all the ducking, bobbing and weaving that requires, having a surround sound headset with head tracking is...intense."

The implication being that VR doesn't already feature a fixed soundstage. But any headphone that is connected to a HMD such as a Vive or Oculus should have spatial audio headtracking built in from the start. So in short, I don't need the Mobius to make VR more immersive when in fact any headphone will suffice as long as it is connected to the HMD. Am I correct or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #41,133 of 48,562
Hi!
I need help choosing a new headphone. I was using a sennheiser pc360 but unfortunately it no longer works in properly, and I was thinking of getting the Beyerdynic MMX 300 2nd Generation but then I was researching on the Mobius audeze and now I'm confused. I use headphones to play, listen to music and watching movies. To play I have those linked to a Astro mixamp 5.8 that is connected to an Xbox.
so my question is the following,
do you guys think I should wait and grab the Audeze or for what I use the Beyerdynic is enough?
Should I upgrade my amp as well?
Thanks for your time guys!

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #41,134 of 48,562
Hi!
I need help choosing a new headphone. I was using a sennheiser pc360 but unfortunately it no longer works in properly, and I was thinking of getting the Beyerdynic MMX 300 2nd Generation but then I was researching on the Mobius audeze and now I'm confused. I use headphones to play, listen to music and watching movies. To play I have those linked to a Astro mixamp 5.8 that is connected to an Xbox.
do you guys think I should wait and grab the Audeze or for what I use the Beyerdynic is enough?
Get this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-SR-Open-Back/dp/B06WRMZZ45/
And this:
https://www.amazon.com/adapter-Microphone-Universal-Android-headphone/dp/B01HB9H4LK/

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #41,135 of 48,562
Hi!
The Sennheiser Game One and PC37X are the same headphone and are a slight improvement to the PC360. Look for one of those.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G4ME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00JQDOALC/

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #41,138 of 48,562
Dude, you have a 58x recommend him that haha

It is so nice for gaming.
It definitely is but the 598 are more efficient and will be easier to drive on a mixamp. The 58X are also easy to drive but when im using my mixamp I still had to double amp it which is never ideal.

Plus the the Ketdirect boom pro makes it more convenient.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #41,139 of 48,562
It definitely is but the 598 are more efficient and will be easier to drive on a mixamp. The 58X are also easy to drive but when im using my mixamp I still had to double amp it which is never ideal.

Plus the the Ketdirect boom pro makes it more convenient.

I can get the 58x very loud with my GSX1000, that people complain about its weak amp section.

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #41,140 of 48,562
I can get the 58x very loud with my GSX1000, that people complain about its weak amp section.

I can get the HD 598's loud on the Sennheiser GSX 1000, but the actual bass impact and overall sound quality is kind of meh. A Magni 2 is a very noticeable upgrade when double amped. I wouldn't replace it as it is the best surround implementation I have so far heard, but the amp stage isn't great.

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #41,141 of 48,562
I can get the HD 598's loud on the Sennheiser GSX 1000, but the actual bass impact and overall sound quality is kind of meh. A Magni 2 is a very noticeable upgrade when double amped. I wouldn't replace it as it is the best surround implementation I have so far heard, but the amp stage isn't great.

I'ma double amp the GSX with the G6, just for the lols.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #41,143 of 48,562
I'ma double amp the GSX with the G6, just for the lols.

Just so you know that when you double amp, volume boosts are very minimal. You'll basically be getting the volume output of just the G6. Though I guess that's enough for the Senns. The G6 does get a LOOOOT louder than the GSX.

I played a lot yesterday with the GSX1000, and it reinforced my belief that Sennheiser's GSX surround is absolutely the best I've heard.

I can't say this enough, but I hope SENNHEISER makes another device with GSX surround that either has a very strong amp, or even better, outputs GSX to a line out/digital out. I'd definitely spring for one.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #41,144 of 48,562
Hi,

I currently own a AKG712 pro, DT990 (600ohm) and a AD700. Combined with an old titanium HD sound card and Fiio e9.

I am looking for a new amp/dac solution which will bring out the best from the AKG 712 (priority 1) and dt 990 (600ohm) (priority 2). My current setup does not feel like it is doing any justice to my thirstier headphones. Surround sound is preferable, with my main focus being on gaming.

1) was about to pull the trigger on a creative x7 but then couldn't decide if upgrading to the Limited Edition variant would be worth it? Or if it would be better to purchase the new G6 or go for another combo.
I am only interested in bringing the best out of my headphones and have no use for a speaker amp.

2) How would these solutions compare to a Schiit stack (I live in London so more expensive), JDS labs O2/ODAC and other AMP/Dacs in a similar price range? I understand there would be no VSS, but would the quality of the components make up for it? Positional audio is important to me.

Many thanks if you have taken the time to read this.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #41,145 of 48,562
Just so you know that when you double amp, volume boosts are very minimal. You'll basically be getting the volume output of just the G6. Though I guess that's enough for the Senns. The G6 does get a LOOOOT louder than the GSX.

I played a lot yesterday with the GSX1000, and it reinforced my belief that Sennheiser's GSX surround is absolutely the best I've heard.

I can't say this enough, but I hope SENNHEISER makes another device with GSX surround that either has a very strong amp, or even better, outputs GSX to a line out/digital out. I'd definitely spring for one.

I was joking. I'm very fine with the GSX volume, and indeed, the virtual processing is hella better than the G6, it has not just width but depth and overall cohesion also.

The G6 does get loud indeed, and I like the sound of it when in stereo in direct mode, very clean, very likeable sound signature. The VSS is okayish. Its a jack of all trades, with all its inputs and outputs and overall compatibility, I really like it very much.

I am all on board with you for a improved GSX. Just think about the GSX processing and the G6 internals/amp/compatibility.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back