Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 17, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #41,161 of 48,562
What are the default/out of the box settings on the G6. Would like one to use predominantly with my PS4 (and occasional XB1), but don;t have a Windows PC and Creative have no plans to launch the companion software on Mac :frowning2: I'm thinking, the G6 is pointless for me without the ability to amend some of the settings?

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #41,162 of 48,562
You definitely need to save settings on that box. I think default is 50% SBX, Dolby Digital Dynamic range reduced, disco lights on. Can you do it a friend's house or even at work?

Whenever I boot up I have to switch to headphones in the software panel. At least it loads the correct settings once I do. Anyone else have this problem?
Have to check if this means that "speaker mode" is active once I turn off my PC and use the consoles. It was on the first day and it sounded horrible. Gotta check later again

Also: setting up Headphone VSS to Line/Optical Out setting doesn't stick but at least it works.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #41,163 of 48,562
What are the default/out of the box settings on the G6. Would like one to use predominantly with my PS4 (and occasional XB1), but don;t have a Windows PC and Creative have no plans to launch the companion software on Mac :frowning2: I'm thinking, the G6 is pointless for me without the ability to amend some of the settings?
Set up a virtual machine and pass the device to it for configuration.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #41,166 of 48,562
Thanks - excuse my ignorance - but won't that mean extra cost for the Windows licence?? (and maybe the VM software also?).
Virtualbox is open source. As for the Windows license you can use it for 30 days without buying the key. Plenty of time to configure the device.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #41,168 of 48,562
As far as I know you can use Windows without activating forever. Just need to be OK with the Activate Windows watermark in the corner, and you cannot change the wallpaper or make other customizations. (But if you have another licensed version, the wallpaper changes on that will stick to all the other unlicensed versions).

Source: I've been running three different Windows 10 PC's without activation for about 1.5 years now.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #41,169 of 48,562
I think the default settings are
Surround: Wide
Crystalizer: 50%
Everything else is off

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #41,170 of 48,562
Just find someone with a pc. Connect it, update the firmware, download the software, and change your settings. There's no way you don't have at least one person who can let you sit for a few moments to do this.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #41,171 of 48,562
My pal just got DT 990 Pro 250 ohm phones and a Fiio E10K. The max volume even in high gain mode isnt quite up to snuff in games-- and true to reviews the highs are crazy sharp and I can see where fatigue would be a factor with these. The mids are practically non-existant compared to my Sony MA900's which are much more neutral, but don't hold a candle to the bass that the DT990's can push out.

Would a stronger amp make much of a difference in the midrange? Straight out of the box, he has bass rattle in the left driver too, so a refund is imminent.

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #41,172 of 48,562
My pal just got DT 990 Pro 250 ohm phones and a Fiio E10K. The max volume even in high gain mode isnt quite up to snuff in games-- and true to reviews the highs are crazy sharp and I can see where fatigue would be a factor with these. The mids are practically non-existant compared to my Sony MA900's which are much more neutral, but don't hold a candle to the bass that the DT990's can push out.

Would a stronger amp make much of a difference in the midrange? Straight out of the box, he has bass rattle in the left driver too, so a refund is imminent.
Not sure if getting a stronger solid state amp like a magni 3 would help sound quality. But a tube amp can help calm the highs down a bit but will increase bass response.

Or you can buy some craft foam and see if that will help tame the highs.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #41,173 of 48,562
Don't expect anything to alter the curve. You want more mids, you're gonna have to reduce the highs and bass with eq. A better/stronger amp is advisable for cleaning up the sound quality, not for adding/taking anything away in terms of raw balance.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #41,174 of 48,562
The DT990 has a strong bass/treble, which overshadows the mids, but the mids are normally clear
I would say my Soundmagic HP200, is better then my DT990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back