Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #41,101 of 48,562
I tried to play Fortnite couple of hours with PS4, HD800S and G6 surround set to ultra-wide.

The sound stage was just way too wide (I thought I would never say this). The footsteps sounded to come further away than they actually were. It was really confusing especially when the opponent was upstairs or downstairs.

Everything sounded normal after switching the G6 surround to wide. Is it just me, fortnite or what do others think with G6 and HD800(S) combo about G6 surround options wide/ultra-wide?

All in all I really like the G6 after the Astro MixAmp TR.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #41,102 of 48,562
My only problem is the modmic

I have found these product, do you think it's better for me?

https://www.amazon.de/Turtle-Beach-Tactical-Controller-Headphone/dp/B01EM9PMO8

Has an optical out and an optical in to connect with my audio gd ... And for chat sound a can use the y splitter and put the mic inside

Yes the chat on xbox via usb (and not thru controller analogue port) is only possible for devices that have the certified chip in them, like the Mix AMP TR.

The TAC Elite controller does not have this chip but will need a cable that goes from the Xbox one control to the TAC Elite controller, this might be a viable solution.

From experience though, the solution to take chat from the hand controller may be a little hit or miss, meaning you can get static, humming and loop feedback. This can be very dependent on the cable used and the specific controller.

Also the optical out of the TAC elite is pass thru, it will only pass the signal thru not output the processed audio with VSS applied. So you will either need to set your xbox to output stereo over the Optical out or have an amp that can decode Dolby digita 5.1. So you will not get surround sound with this in your current setup.

As for the Surround sound of the TAC Elite, it's okay but not great, me personally i never really liked TB's gaming gear.

I use the Mix Amp TR for this specific reason so that I can get good chat audio and the ability to control the mic level and sidetone very precisely.

So my setup is using the X7 for VSS and amp and then simply use the Mix Amp TR for chat, using the stream out to a line in on the X7.
office_2.jpg

So my advice would be to skip your current headphone amp if you can, and go with the G6+Mix Amp Tr for seamless surround and chat on the Xbox.

This solution will give you better surround sound from the XBOX (than neither TAC elite or Mix Amp Tr can provide on their own)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #41,103 of 48,562
I tried to play Fortnite couple of hours with PS4, HD800S and G6 surround set to ultra-wide.

The sound stage was just way too wide (I thought I would never say this). The footsteps sounded to come further away than they actually were. It was really confusing especially when the opponent was upstairs or downstairs.

Everything sounded normal after switching the G6 surround to wide. Is it just me, fortnite or what do others think with G6 and HD800(S) combo about G6 surround options wide/ultra-wide?

All in all I really like the G6 after the Astro MixAmp TR.

Maybe the HD800 already contribute to the "wideness" with its massive soundstage.

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #41,104 of 48,562
For those who wanted to correct me regarding the Mobius. My point is that it's not made for consols and the only thing you will get from a console is a stereo signal regardless if you can connect to it thru USB or Bluetooth.

However, Mobius FAQ says the following:

So it seems you get the VSS applied to a 2.0 signal and head tracking, i suspect that is a far cry of what the mobius will do if you feed it a multichannel stream from your PC via USB.

BUT, you can use a separate device such as the G6 to get VSS and then pipe that into the Mobius as an analog signal - just like you would with any other headphone. You will get the 5.1 from the G6 or mixamp or whatever and then the Mobius will STILL add the room emulation and spacialization effects. The downside is that it will set you back another $150 or whatever.

Still testing to see how good that actually sounds, but my first impression was that it sounded pretty good. I played with no G6 tonight (waiting for long enough cables to arrive) and I was far less impressed than I was with the G6 VSS and Mobius room emulation combo.

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #41,105 of 48,562
BUT, you can use a separate device such as the G6 to get VSS and then pipe that into the Mobius as an analog signal

Yes of course that goes without saying, that was not the question or the point.

The Mobius on its own does not have the ability to take a multichannel stream, only stereo.(from consoles)

As for the double processing that will work for some, but most will not enjoy double processing.

For the purpose of actually getting surround and positional cues, it's, of course, better than mobious on its own.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #41,107 of 48,562
Thank you so much for the detailed post. Really helps since I'm planning a similar setup. What program did you use to EQ the HD800? TIA

I used Peace Equalizer. I downloaded a HD800 preset made by Metal571 which toned downed the HD800's fatiguing peaks. I have not installed the SDR mod on my HD800 but I have heard that it gives the best sound signature without the need of using an EQ.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #41,108 of 48,562
Hi guys.

Looking for some advice on a good pair of gaming headset. I know i said headset and not headphone. Most of the good open back headphones are really expensive or they are discontinued years ago and sold expensive on eBay, etc.

I had the Superlux HD681 with Brainwavz HM5 velour earpads but still did not like the sound. Also the clamp force was a bit much for me. So time to move on.

It has to be open back and with a mic.

I have narrowed it down to Sennheiser game one or Audio Technica PDG1. I live in Australia but somehow these headsets are still available given they are discontinued. The sennheiser game one is $200 whilst the Audio Technica PDG1 is $139. The ADG1 version is over $350 :astonished:

Anyone share their experiences with these headsets if you have used them?

Any other open back headsets worth taking a look at?

You have the usual suspects like HyperX which i hear are good but they are all closed back headsets.

I want open back not only for the soundstage but also to be aware of my surroundings. I don't like closed headphones.

Also i game on my PS4 :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #41,109 of 48,562
Sep 8, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #41,113 of 48,562
Unfortunately i live in Australia so that rules out that price :frowning2:

I can still get it but for $200 whilst the PDG1 is $60 cheaper.

That's a bummer. You cannot go wrong with those Audio Technnica I guess. I'm a sucker for Sennheiser headsets, though, I own the One, the Zero, and the PC373D. I prefer the PC373D over all of them, with the One detachable cable.

Thanks for that. I just had a quick look and it seems to be the same as the Game ones. A bit cheaper though including shipping to Australia. I might take a closer look since there is only 1 day left on the drop.

If they go through customs it is going to rip your budget apart. Ask around to see if Massdrop items go through customs in Australia.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #41,114 of 48,562
Hi guys.

Looking for some advice on a good pair of gaming headset. I know i said headset and not headphone. Most of the good open back headphones are really expensive or they are discontinued years ago and sold expensive on eBay, etc.

I had the Superlux HD681 with Brainwavz HM5 velour earpads but still did not like the sound. Also the clamp force was a bit much for me. So time to move on.

I have narrowed it down to Sennheiser game one or Audio Technica PDG1. I live in Australia but somehow these headsets are still available given they are discontinued. The sennheiser game one is $200 whilst the Audio Technica PDG1 is $139. The ADG1 version is over $350 :astonished:

Anyone share their experiences with these headsets if you have used them?

Any other open back headsets worth taking a look at?

You have the usual suspects like HyperX which i hear are good but they are all closed back headsets.

I want open back not only for the soundstage but also to be aware of my surroundings. I don't like closed headphones.

Thanks in advance.
The Qpad QH-85 are pretty good. They’re based off the Takstar HI2050

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #41,115 of 48,562
Hi guys.

Thanks in advance.
Find a used Sennheiser HD558 and add a modmic.
The HD558 has black rubber tape on the inside, removing the black rubber tape makes the HD558 somewhat more like the HD598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back