Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #40,741 of 48,562
I have the X7 hooked up to an iFi iCAN, which does well with the HD800S (to my ears anywway), SBX at 100%. I've tried lower, like 70%, and didn't notice much of a difference to be honest. I like the huge spaciousness feeling personally and SBX never gets too reverb-y for me (compared to other DSP's).

Yeah there is very little of no trade off to just max out SBX at 100%.

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #40,742 of 48,562
I don't know much about the mod, but I don't think its expensive or difficult to do, may be wrong?

It's relatively cheap to create (steps in the original thread) the resonator but you have the option to buy it directly from the creator of the mod. (check the original thread)
It's really easy to install however, I think it will void the warranty.

The mod itself can be undone so if you do not like the sound signature after modding you can return the HD800 to its original sound signature by removing it.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #40,743 of 48,562
I have the X7 hooked up to a Schiit Ragnarok and this is a massive overkill for gaming but at least I get to keep the X7 as my primary source for everything.
Also SBX at 100% or nothing, the inbetween settings are half measures.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #40,744 of 48,562
I have the X7 hooked up to a Schiit Ragnarok and this is a massive overkill for gaming but at least I get to keep the X7 as my primary source for everything.
Also SBX at 100% or nothing, the inbetween settings are half measures.

giphy.gif

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #40,745 of 48,562
I have the X7 hooked up to a Schiit Ragnarok and this is a massive overkill for gaming

HDVD800 and STAX energizer for me

Usually the speakers or cans running direct from it though

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #40,749 of 48,562
I got something that I can't talk about yet, but all I can say is that those of you looking into gaming virtual surround amps like the Mixamp and what have you, there is something coming that even on my first day of use is gonna make the Mixamp obsolete especially if you want virtual surround but may wanna use either your own dac (with spdif optical input), or your own amps without double amping.

Think of it like the X7, but more cost effective. And it works for everything like the X7. A cheaper alternative. You won't need it if you already have the X7.

I'm excited about it. It's gonna make it easier for people who can't afford the X7. :)

I'll mention what it is in less than two weeks. The review probably won't be done then but I will at least let you know what it is.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #40,750 of 48,562
I got something that I can't talk about yet, but all I can say is that those of you looking into gaming virtual surround amps like the Mixamp and what have you, there is something coming that even on my first day of use is gonna make the Mixamp obsolete especially if you want virtual surround but may wanna use either your own dac (with spdif optical input), or your own amps without double amping.

Think of it like the X7, but more cost effective. And it works for everything like the X7. A cheaper alternative. You won't need it if you already have the X7.

I'm excited about it. It's gonna make it easier for people who can't afford the X7. :)

I'll mention what it is in less than two weeks. The review probably won't be done then but I will at least let you know what it is.

Can’t wait!
When you guys say SBX 100% do you mean sbx surround 100%?

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #40,753 of 48,562
Interesting MLE, does it support consoles as well? AC3? DTS? ;[]

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #40,754 of 48,562
That's all I'll say for now lol. I haven't put it through the ringer yet. But the basics.

You get much more volume than the GSX1000 so it should be at least good in getting the AKG K700 variants at a good volume.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #40,755 of 48,562
Me too, I'm curious how the multibit nature of yggy would affect the spatial cues.

It does and profoundly so. Having been through the 2nd week of the GumBy I never experienced movies to be so stellar over headphones, noticably better in imaging, the creation of space and room. I stopped using any other plugin other than Dolby Access and I'm having a blast.
The Gungnir has elevated the whole movie experience which the Modi MB could not at all in comparison to a handful of other DACs. GumBy however did. Outside of speakers no headphones does our hobby so well than the HD800.

Just wait for it and see for yourself.

Oh, and it's not only about how these DACs create the image, space and trace the cues, it's also about their tonality, finest detail and especially the way the bass is recreated. The CFF surely plays a huge role here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back