Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #40,666 of 48,563
Yeah that's what I was trying to say (in my incoherent ramble). My virtual surround utopia is a standard, true 3D audio headphone solution that is available on every game, is 100% software based (so, use any hardware and headphones you want) and is so good you actually really are missing out NOT using headphones vs. surround (channel-based) speakers when playing.

If Windows Sonic and Atmos were actually working products we could already be here but they are currently not as good as the channel virtualizing competition.
We had that back in Windows XP days, back then games were able to interface directly with audio hardware the way they are able to interface directly with gpus so the games passed the information about location of the audio sources relative to the camera to the sound card, the soundcard rendered it and divided it into channels so regardless of whether you were playing on headphones or speakers you got the same 360 degree soundscape.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #40,670 of 48,563
Matrix Audio M-Stage HPA-3U +

http://matrix-digi-usa.com/m-stage-series/m-stage-hpa-3u

it's over 250 dollars but then a one time buy and never look back.

I don't have any use for the balance headphone jack, I don't have any headphones with that plug.
Also, i'm not sure it comes with the right power plug for my country's powersockets.

Upon further research, I've found out that the AKG K701 seems to be picky in the amp department.
Listed as a great choice was the Vioelectric V200, which i believe had been suggested here also.
I've also read that they sound great when using a quality tube-amp.
Now, that is somewhat out of my budget, however people seem to power them fine with a Magni 2/ Modi stack.

Now, since apparently people can use these headphones fine with the Schiit stack, and because it's still somewhat in my price range, i'm leaning towards that option.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #40,671 of 48,563
I don't have any use for the balance headphone jack, I don't have any headphones with that plug.
Also, i'm not sure it comes with the right power plug for my country's powersockets.

Upon further research, I've found out that the AKG K701 seems to be picky in the amp department.
Listed as a great choice was the Vioelectric V200, which i believe had been suggested here also.
I've also read that they sound great when using a quality tube-amp.
Now, that is somewhat out of my budget, however people seem to power them fine with a Magni 2/ Modi stack.

Now, since apparently people can use these headphones fine with the Schiit stack, and because it's still somewhat in my price range, i'm leaning towards that option.
Schiit won't pair well with them. You want something a little warmer to offset the brightness of the 701. Violectric are notoriously warm so they'd make a solid pairing. I'm not sure if their cheaper Lake People amps are warm too, but you might look into those. I second the Matrix M-Stage, as it's the first amp I ever bought and I got it to pair with my Q701. You might see if you can find an older one on the used market for cheap. I had a HPA-1 and it was great for what I needed.

I'd also look into the integrated Audio-GD solutions. The NFB-15 was my upgrade path from the Matrix and I thought it was a pretty great upgrade all around. They don't make that one anymore, but there are plenty of other options, both new and used, floating around.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #40,672 of 48,563
Schiit won't pair well with them. You want something a little warmer to offset the brightness of the 701. Violectric are notoriously warm so they'd make a solid pairing. I'm not sure if their cheaper Lake People amps are warm too, but you might look into those. I second the Matrix M-Stage, as it's the first amp I ever bought and I got it to pair with my Q701. You might see if you can find an older one on the used market for cheap. I had a HPA-1 and it was great for what I needed.

I'd also look into the integrated Audio-GD solutions. The NFB-15 was my upgrade path from the Matrix and I thought it was a pretty great upgrade all around. They don't make that one anymore, but there are plenty of other options, both new and used, floating around.

So, something like this then?
http://audiomagic.eu/en/matrix-audio-2/matrix-m-stage-hpa-3u-with-usb?from=listing

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #40,673 of 48,563
Aug 2, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #40,675 of 48,563
well, if the other option is to always use the cans underpowered...
and at the same time, i suppose it's somewhat futureproof.
You could always try asking in the K701 thread for good amp pairings at a given price point.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #40,677 of 48,563
Hi all,

I have the Audio Technica AD700x and I wpuld like to use them with my Xbox One X. I also would like to be able to use the microphone from the headset that comes with the xbox (which is just one ear and the mic).

I mainly play FPS (Destiny 2) and racing games (Forza).

How can I get the best sound out of the xbox with this config and a budget of 250usd?

I have read to use the MixAmp Pro TR White with an amp, but I am lost here. There are no comments on the first page regarding performance of the AMP/DACs on consoles.

Any advice is appreciated.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #40,678 of 48,563
Still, Audio-GDs interested solutions don't have analog inputs so you can't use them with external VSS solutions.

As for Xbox solutions, I'm sorry that I have no knowledge of what works and what doesn't. Last Xbox I owned was a 360 back in the day. We have an XB1S at home but it ain't mine and it's only used so very infrequently just for 4k Blu-Ray use.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #40,679 of 48,563
Still, Audio-GDs interested solutions don't have analog inputs so you can't use them with external VSS solutions.

As for Xbox solutions, I'm sorry that I have no knowledge of what works and what doesn't. Last Xbox I owned was a 360 back in the day. We have an XB1S at home but it ain't mine and it's only used so very infrequently just for 4k Blu-Ray use.
They do now, check out nfb 28.38 for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back