Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 30, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #38,672 of 48,578
Antlion mod mic 4.0 is on Massdrop for $38.

Sweet, you can save ten bucks and only have to wait an extra four months for shipping. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #38,674 of 48,578
cskippy has them iirc

He could give some impressions/comparisons now that he has them longer

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #38,675 of 48,578
Hi guys, I have a question regarding How good it's The HIFIMAN HE400S with Focus Pad for gaming. I use the Philips Fidelio X2 for Action games/Fps where where you want a good Bass and I use the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs for more Story telling narrative games. Any Thoughts ?

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #38,676 of 48,578
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/99862/windows-sonic-for-headphones-dolby-atmos-for-headphones-coming-soon

Check this out peeps....!!!!!

So it seems this is it! The beginning of a.....beginning? lol

I am still confused as to why they added 2 HRTFs, Sonic and Dolby Atmos but from my undertanding Sonic let's those people with a gaming headset that uses their HRTFs now be used! Dolby Atmos, well you are using that HRTF specifically if it's built into it....at least that is what Overwatch does. I know BF1 and Battlefront have it but is only enabled if you have an AVR connected to your GPU via HDMI.

There is some confusion going on right now in different forums, usually misleading info as well. Xbox One and PC gamers will get to try this so I wonder what PS4 has in store? We already saw Uncharted 4 having its own 3D audio but is only enabled with Sony's headset but I am sure they will enabled it for everyone else....

Edit: It seems PC can get it now even if you are not an insider...

I have work tomorrow early in the morning but YOLO, will figure out and download lol

Edit 2: Downloaded but DA for Headphones is coming soon.......it's there but not available for headphones and only for Home Cinema set ups. On the other hand I can enable Sonic. Let me test and I will give some details later on.

EDIT 3: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt807491(v=vs.85).aspx

Talks about spatial audio in Windows 10.

EDIT 4!: I found a thread where someone actually enabled Dolby Atmos for headphones but says that it gave him a trial version of it. Just as I thought, Windows has to charge for it.....

Link here for that info https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt807491(v=vs.85).aspx

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #38,677 of 48,578
Is there any date/hint when it might drop?
I expected this to cost money, no way Dolby wouldn't milk their new cow for years to come.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #38,678 of 48,578
Hi, just wanted to chime in. The Spatial Sound / Dolby Atmos Headphone - Windows 10 update is really big news for PC/Xbox gaming. Proper 3D audio for games has been buried for over a decade (Aureal 3D, DS3D, Creative EAX). Now Microsoft is finally bringing 3D audio back to their APIs and apparently also releasing surround/3D sound software solution for the masses. Past few days I have been researching the best possible virtual surround solution (software/DSP) for PC gaming. Most of the current solutions seem to be overpriced and/or not that great to begin with at least when compared to the idea of the old A3D. Lets just hope that Microsoft/Dolby can deliver efficient and stable software. Still, I'm probably not going to download the update (The Creators Update) right away. You can hold up updating as you could do with the Anniversary Update for a maximum of half year before the update is mandatory. The update is officially released on tuesday.

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #38,680 of 48,578
  Hey guys. Posted my first couple of reviews. One for the K240 Mkii and one for the Cloud 2. Just thought I'd post them here since this is the thread I frequent most.

I did not go in to the cloud review yet, but the k240 one is very detailed and personal. I appreciate the personal touch and the explanation of the hard-to-do on lowering the rating over being your first 'better' set. Very well done!

I personally have curbed making reviews because everything I have right now is still my first entry and I felt I would still place too much bias towards them as such. The way you wrote it kept me reading until the end though.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #38,681 of 48,578
Well I guess that Windows Sonic will be a de facto standard developing 3D Audio API for game developing (like Xaudio 2 was) for the Xbox platform and Dolby Atmos will be similar but require special licensing and lead to further costs.

The wonderful thing is that we don't need a standard, let the game developers choose their favorite 3D Audio option. Let them use SteamAudio (on PC), their own binaural tech (Resident Evil 7), Dolby Atmos for headphones (like Overwatch) etc etc...

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #38,682 of 48,578

I did not go in to the cloud review yet, but the k240 one is very detailed and personal. I appreciate the personal touch and the explanation of the hard-to-do on lowering the rating over being your first 'better' set. Very well done!

I personally have curbed making reviews because everything I have right now is still my first entry and I felt I would still place too much bias towards them as such. The way you wrote it kept me reading until the end though.

Thanks, I appreciate it :)

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #38,683 of 48,578
  https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/99862/windows-sonic-for-headphones-dolby-atmos-for-headphones-coming-soon

Check this out peeps....!!!!!

So it seems this is it! The beginning of a.....beginning? lol

I am still confused as to why they added 2 HRTFs, Sonic and Dolby Atmos but from my undertanding Sonic let's those people with a gaming headset that uses their HRTFs now be used! Dolby Atmos, well you are using that HRTF specifically if it's built into it....at least that is what Overwatch does. I know BF1 and Battlefront have it but is only enabled if you have an AVR connected to your GPU via HDMI.

There is some confusion going on right now in different forums, usually misleading info as well. Xbox One and PC gamers will get to try this so I wonder what PS4 has in store? We already saw Uncharted 4 having its own 3D audio but is only enabled with Sony's headset but I am sure they will enabled it for everyone else....

Edit: It seems PC can get it now even if you are not an insider...

I have work tomorrow early in the morning but YOLO, will figure out and download lol

Edit 2: Downloaded but DA for Headphones is coming soon.......it's there but not available for headphones and only for Home Cinema set ups. On the other hand I can enable Sonic. Let me test and I will give some details later on.

EDIT 3: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt807491(v=vs.85).aspx

Talks about spatial audio in Windows 10.

EDIT 4!: I found a thread where someone actually enabled Dolby Atmos for headphones but says that it gave him a trial version of it. Just as I thought, Windows has to charge for it.....

Link here for that info https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt807491(v=vs.85).aspx

Have you got a link for that thread please?
I was pretty miffed after I downloaded the creators update for Atmos for headphones to be unavailable. I would love to try out Atmos in Battlegrounds.
Thanks

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #38,684 of 48,578
Be forewarned, y'all. The Spatial setting isn't available if you're using a USB out. Only the direct 3.5mm out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back