Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 5, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #38,431 of 48,568
Quick question. I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I already own these Headphones:
Takstar Pro 80's
Takstar HI 2050's
Philips SHP9500's

I want to buy a closed headphone with a wide soundstage. So I'm stuck with the ISK HD 9999 or the audio technica m40's. Any recommendations?

Detachable cable is also a bonus.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #38,432 of 48,568
For Gaming
here is how I rank my headphones

1. HD800 (excellent, you will have a huge advantage)
2. TH900 ( excellent as well)
3. THx00 ( Average)
4. X2 (too muddy for competitive shooter.)

I wander how T1 would fair.

I have the beyerdynamic t1 2nd gen. For competitive use they are terrible, the soundstage width is far to small, the only redeeming factor they have are the imaging & soundstage depth they have. 

For single player games they are ok but there are other cheaper headphones like akg k712 which can do both competitive and single player games at a cheaper price.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #38,434 of 48,568
Oh man!
Party at my house, 6 people! We're gaming and will be twitch streaming in a few minutes! Search Twitch for EvShrug :)
We're being ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, I can already tell tonight's gonna be funny

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #38,435 of 48,568
Oh man!
Party at my house, 6 people! We're gaming and will be twitch streaming in a few minutes! Search Twitch for EvShrug
smily_headphones1.gif

We're being ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, I can already tell tonight's gonna be funny

Seems you guys already blacked out.

This will be my second time. For $35 what the hell, why not...

For 35$ I'd buy them just to see what the fuss is all about.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #38,436 of 48,568
  Quick question. I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I already own these Headphones:
Takstar Pro 80's
Takstar HI 2050's
Philips SHP9500's

I want to buy a closed headphone with a wide soundstage. So I'm stuck with the ISK HD 9999 or the audio technica m40's. Any recommendations?

Detachable cable is also a bonus.

DT770 is nice, had them, better than m50x imo, superb bass, very immersive. You can refer to MLE's guide, is accurate.
AKG k550/553 also can be a contender, heard good things about it, nice soundstage for a closed back.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #38,437 of 48,568
Seems you guys already blacked out.

For 35$ I'd buy them just to see what the fuss is all about.

As you saw, we started moments after your post :wink:
Sorry about the abrupt end though, after 3+ hours of streaming, our internet connection crashed! I was hoping to end right after that mission anyway. I did go and do a quick side mission to find an interpreter.

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #38,438 of 48,568
**meant to reply to a post. For the life of me I cant figure out how to delete this post..** I HATED the new TR MIXAMP for that horrible metallic surround sound! I agree with SS off it sounds great. They really went out of their way to make the SS just horrible. No amount of tweaking got rid of the echoy/metallic sound while in SS mode. I bought a mix amp pro off ebay for like 30 bucks and the SS is at least tolerable when used.

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #38,439 of 48,568
I'll post and example vid I linked to on the first post. It is already pre-mixed with DH, so TURN OFF Dolby on your mixamp when listening to this. And no, do NOT turn ON Dolby to compare. This video is already converted, and not a 5.1 Doplby signal, so it won't work that way.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcp9mNbhtFo[/VIDEO]

This should give you a better idea.
Was this done with the TR edition or different version mix amp? My TR edition was echoy and metallic sounding too.

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #38,440 of 48,568
hey guys, i am new on audio, and i plan to buy open back headphone for music, gaming, and movies.. 
from what i read, maybe dt990 meet those criteria. but there are some problem that holding me back:
First, how harsh the treble on beyer dt990, compare to msr7 (actually I have ws1100 which according to people is a fun version of msr7 with bass and mid backwards)
second, I don't have an amp, is there any portable amp that can drive dt990 properly under 200$?
I owned the dt990 and while I'm no expert, I didn't find them all that great. If I am remembering correctly voices were so far away sounding that any game with people talking was hard to hear. Now...for what it's worth, I have the dt880s now and while voices are better, I don't think I like the sound signature of this company's heaphones. I don't think "wow!" when gaming with them. I use/ed a fio e12 and mixamp pro with mine for gaming and just the e12 for music. Not sure if it is the best amp for this headphone or not? It was what i could afford at the time. Mine were the 250 ohm version headphones on both the dt990 and dt880. However i bought my 880 on ebay and it was just the headphones..they could be the 80 ohm for all I know.. for my ears I honestly can't tell any significant difference in sound quality using these versus using something cheaper like the shp9500 or superlux 668. Now, this is coming from someone who is not an audiophile and I have no idea if getting different amp would make them sound better.

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #38,441 of 48,568
As you saw, we started moments after your post
wink.gif

Sorry about the abrupt end though, after 3+ hours of streaming, our internet connection crashed! I was hoping to end right after that mission anyway. I did go and do a quick side mission to find an interpreter.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It was 5am here anyway so the timing couldn't have been better.

Quote:
Was this done with the TR edition or different version mix amp? My TR edition was echoy and metallic sounding too.

This was uploaded to YouTube on 2012 so it would be kinda difficult to record it using TR.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #38,442 of 48,568
Not really. Most of the recent trending "great stuff" is priced over $1000 these days. Only the Aeon is lower priced, but still pricey.
honestly, I found the Porta pro to be an amazing pair of headphones for the price. I would almost rather just have these than my DT880s..No i WOULD rather have these than my 880s. I bounce around from these to my superlux 668s and SHP9500s which all togther are cheaper than these 880s. When I first got them I thought they were a little too warm.. But after listneing to them for a few hours I realized I was just a moron and they sounded great. Probably my favorite headphones currently.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #38,443 of 48,568
Yeah, that's what I thought. It was 5am here anyway so the timing couldn't have been better.

Quote:

This was uploaded to YouTube on 2012 so it would be kinda difficult to record it using TR.
Touche, in my defense, i did just play it from the player in the message. :-b But I guess i took the lazy way and asked instead of checking myself. The TR sound nothing like it though..in a BAD way. I don't even think my older mix amp sounds as good as that clip...

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #38,444 of 48,568
Touche, in my defense, i did just play it from the player in the message. :-b But I guess i took the lazy way and asked instead of checking myself. The TR sound nothing like it though..in a BAD way. I don't even think my older mix amp sounds as good as that clip...

It's possible that the clip was recorded using a PC soundcard that supports Dolby Headphone and not an actual Mixamp. It seems Astro really dropped the ball on this one, I owned two Mixamps before (2010 and 2013 versions) and the positioning was excellent. DAC and amp sections sucked compared to the X7 but as far as positional accuracy went I had nothing to complain about.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #38,445 of 48,568
I owned the dt990 and while I'm no expert, I didn't find them all that great. If I am remembering correctly voices were so far away sounding that any game with people talking was hard to hear. Now...for what it's worth, I have the dt880s now and while voices are better, I don't think I like the sound signature of this company's heaphones. I don't think "wow!" when gaming with them. I use/ed a fio e12 and mixamp pro with mine for gaming and just the e12 for music. Not sure if it is the best amp for this headphone or not? It was what i could afford at the time. Mine were the 250 ohm version headphones on both the dt990 and dt880. However i bought my 880 on ebay and it was just the headphones..they could be the 80 ohm for all I know.. for my ears I honestly can't tell any significant difference in sound quality using these versus using something cheaper like the shp9500 or superlux 668. Now, this is coming from someone who is not an audiophile and I have no idea if getting different amp would make them sound better.

ok what is the difference beetween dt880 and dt990? soundstage, bass, etc. i need bass for movie..
what are game do you play? is it fps? i want to know how well dt990 for positioning in the fps game
e12 vs a5 which is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back