Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 28, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #38,401 of 48,578
@Mad Lust Envy I think you'll like it with the Audeze leather free pads.  It's my best gaming headphone now.  It's dethroned the HE-6 for gaming.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #38,402 of 48,578
Did you ever compare the HEX v2 to the Hifiman 1000 v2 for movies?

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #38,403 of 48,578
Outside of using the KSC35 at work, I don't think I've put on pair of headphones in a long, long time.

That said, this LCD-2 clone from monoprice sounds interesting to me. VERY.

I must be missing a lot of great stuff lately.

For under $375, you can grab the M1060 and Vegan pads, and literally have a lighter LCD2. I had to jump on them for that price. I'll be ordering vegan pads here shortly. Don't even want to listen to them stock. Ignorance is bliss, and leather pads blow!

Did you ever compare the HEX v2 to the Hifiman 1000 v2 for movies?

I did not. The issue I had most with the HEK was it was far too resolving for music. I listen to a lot of crappy recorded rock music, and it brought out things I don't want to hear. Strictly for movies, I'd probably go HEK as they're recorded far better than a lot of music. They're better headphones for sure, just not for my intended use. They're also far harder to drive, so an external amp with some juice may be needed. I listen exceptionally loud, and on my amp (MZ2) that another headfier had, it was maxed out. Granted this was a meet and louder than a typical room. I've never maxed out my amp at home, but I've been close with a few headphones. I really prefer easy to drive headphones, and the HEX at 104db/mW versus 90db/mW of the HEK is a very substantial difference. I don't think I'd ever own another headphone that demands that much power. That's me though, so understand I'm far outside the norm with how I listen.

@Mad Lust Envy
 I think you'll like it with the Audeze leather free pads.  It's my best gaming headphone now.  It's dethroned the HE-6 for gaming.

Glad to see you here! I've been reading your post on the M1060 thread. You're the culprit who pushed me to order them! Thanks for your honest review and measurements.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #38,404 of 48,578
Question MLE. If reviews are done by people in the thread, can you update the first post with that info? Some guys in this thread own some bad ass gear, and it may be useful to new people. Obviously the review would have to be about VSS with said headphone/gear. Thoughts?

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #38,405 of 48,578
Question MLE. If reviews are done by people in the thread, can you update the first post with that info? Some guys in this thread own some bad ass gear, and it may be useful to new people. Obviously the review would have to be about VSS with said headphone/gear. Thoughts?

Small thought...
More reviews are good, and MLE's thread has gotten so big that many other gaming threads don't get views. Keeping the thread current would be good.

However, part of what made this thread great was Mad has pretty consistent perspective. I mention bias as a good thing here, because if you know one or two headphones on the guide, then Mad's comparison is pretty consistent between them and the reader has a good idea what to expect. Adding two or three reviews from one more person's bias doesn't lend itself to much comparision against the other body of work here.

I'll talk more later (lunch break is over), but I have an idea.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #38,406 of 48,578
Adding reviews from other people could be a good thing as long as we add a giant-ass disclaimer telling people not to compare headphones reviewed by different people. On the other hand though, Mad put a giant-ass disclaimer telling people not to compare scores between different headphones and people still did that.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #38,407 of 48,578
Yeah, SO, we retyped the whole MLE first post as a guide, you know like a sticky, and I made sure to give editing privileges to Mad, Yethal, AxelCloris, and a few other friends who used to be more on this thread but continue writing reviews in general.

So, how about one page of MLE's reviews, and another of "guest" reviews. If someone writes a good one and sends me a link (heck, even if you want to swap some time of peer-review/editing the writing), I or one of the other admins can paste the review in, or at least link to the review like I do on the first page of my thread (it's in my signature).

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #38,408 of 48,578
Yeah, SO, we retyped the whole MLE first post as a guide, you know like a sticky, and I made sure to give editing privileges to Mad, Yethal, AxelCloris, and a few other friends who used to be more on this thread but continue writing reviews in general.

So, how about one page of MLE's reviews, and another of "guest" reviews. If someone writes a good one and sends me a link (heck, even if you want to swap some time of peer-review/editing the writing), I or one of the other admins can paste the review in, or at least link to the review like I do on the first page of my thread (it's in my signature).

I'm sure something will be appropriate, and is getting needed more each day. MLE single handedly put me on this path, and I owe him a lot of credit steering me correctly. Sadly he isn't reviewing much anymore, but the headphone industry is cranking out headphones non stop. Obviously an army couldn't review them all, but some deserve notice on the first page to avoid answering the same questions, over and over again. Also I think some great gaming headphones get lost, then forgotten about, by the new shiny headphone just released.

I should have the PC37X next week, so they'll be in the wild, and more drops are coming. Once they are up constantly like AKG K7XX, Fostex TH-X00, etc, they definitely should be on the first page. Yethal and Evshrug both have great reviews on them already.

There's probably a lot of popular, recent headphones, that deserve a formal review. I don't expect MLE to even attempt to keep up, and he shouldn't have to.

Another way to combat personal preferences is multiple reviews. Just list a headphone with pictures and links to reviews. Maybe do a number system for a quick overall idea, which that typically leads to lazy reading, but quickly navigating the huge list. If you were looking for a fun can, skipping the not fun cans, is easier to get through all of the headphones, if you know what you want.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #38,409 of 48,578
The guide posts are already up. I feel like I should remove my (clearly labeled) editing notes from the K612 review, and just do my own full review, because I've had the K612 and used them for a long time.
Also the Sennheiser HD800.
Might as well re-post the Sennheiser PC37X, and the other reviews in my blog (in my signature).
And the HiFiman HE-400.
HE-560.
V-Moda M-100.
Creative BlasterX H7.
RHA S500i.
Etymotic EP-6i.
FiiO/DunuDunu branded IEMs.
And... ooooh, look, something shiny! (wanders off)

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #38,410 of 48,578
Part 1: Intro, Headphone Surround samples, and a table of contents (of sorts)
http://www.head-fi.org/a/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-1-14-2016-final-section-updated

Part 2: Chico's "Frequently Asked Questions" section, probably most people's questions could be referred here for great answers. And humor.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-page-2

Part 3: All of Mad Lust Envy's headphone reviews, sorted by price groups, wth lots of spoiler tags for quicker navigation (this took me awhile):
http://www.head-fi.org/a/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-page-3

Page 4: Will be the long-time "contributor's" reviews. I will use price ranges and spoiler tags like part 3 to make navigation quicker.

Credit to Mad Lust Envy for the reviews, chicolom for the FAQ (and NamelessPFG for the PC Soundcard thread), Hansotek for the "title" graphic, and Evshrug for reformatting, editing, and posting it.

Rescuing everybody, in style

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #38,411 of 48,578
While we're at it we might also add setup diagrams, tutorials and mic samples. I have ModMic, and PC37X mic samples recorded, might add the Beyer mic to the mix.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #38,412 of 48,578
Wow, unreal guys! Awesome work!

After all these years, I still use the first page a lot. It's one of the most useful information pages I've ever come across. I still tell people use it, as it's a Bible to me. Keeping it current is so incredibly useful!

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #38,413 of 48,578
It's Gospel of Mad

Then God said, “Let us make headphone surround in our speakers' image, according to their likeness; and let them have dominion over our gaming setups, and over our Head-Fi discussions, and over our wallets, and over all the wild headphones of the earth,[d] and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the internet.”

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #38,415 of 48,578
Feel free to add my one and only K7XX review on the contributor's page if needed.
tongue.gif

OK, I'll delete it from the site for you. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back