Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 22, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #38,311 of 48,583
I did consoder the X7, but it does not support external Mic input on consoles, no? The pricetag did put me off somewhat, but when I found out about the mic situation it was was completely off the table.

Too bad since it certainly looks like a fantastic device!

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #38,312 of 48,583
If people who have own prior Mixamps are saying the TR is broken, that may be why Dolby Headphone sounds wrong to you. Your experiences are definitely far from what is to be expected of the DSP. Case is closed. TR is borked.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #38,313 of 48,583
I did consoder the X7, but it does not support external Mic input on consoles, no? The pricetag did put me off somewhat, but when I found out about the mic situation it was was completely off the table.

Too bad since it certainly looks like a fantastic device!

The x7 does support voicechat though I use it everyday with my PS4 Pro via the Creative W2 USB dongle. I use my Modmic plugged directly into the x7 for a microphone.

If people who have own prior Mixamps are saying the TR is broken, that may be why Dolby Headphone sounds wrong to you. Your experiences are definitely far from what is to be expected of the DSP. Case is closed. TR is borked.

I would say yes that the TR is a substandard piece of hardware - no question.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #38,314 of 48,583
Find the Door: You got my attention, how does that work in terms of balancing voice and game volume on the fly? This is where I love the Astro, its just so convenient and smooth!

Where does the bluetooth device come in in this equation? Are you pairing this with the PS4 as the audio input device while keeping the console connected via optical cable to the x7 ? Images of this setup?

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #38,315 of 48,583
  I hope  game developers really start going back into implementing 3D audio. 

I mean we are already seeing it in some games especially for VR but we want more! 
tongue.gif

Agreed, I'd love to see more developers getting on-board or returning to 3D surround. One of my all-time favorite games was Thief: Deadly Shadows from the original Thief trilogy. That franchise used EAX processing to get surround sound more than 15 years ago. Give us more surround sound!

I am loving Overwatch's implementation of Dolby Atmos. No it's not perfect, but for something that comes free with the game and doesn't require additional hardware it's an excellent offering.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #38,316 of 48,583
Find the Door: You got my attention, how does that work in terms of balancing voice and game volume on the fly? This is where I love the Astro, its just so convenient and smooth!

Where does the bluetooth device come in in this equation? Are you pairing this with the PS4 as the audio input device while keeping the console connected via optical cable to the x7 ? Images of this setup?

The PS4 sees the BT-W2 as a USB headset and you pair it with the x7 via Bluetooth. You can then adjust chat and game volume via an app on android or iOS.

I just picked up the X7 myself to replace an older Astro mixamp. I'm really liking the improved audio experience, so far.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #38,317 of 48,583
The PS4 sees the BT-W2 as a USB headset and you pair it with the x7 via Bluetooth. You can then adjust chat and game volume via an app on android or iOS.

I just picked up the X7 myself to replace an older Astro mixamp. I'm really liking the improved audio experience, so far.

It is a huge step up in fidelity from the Mixamp, and assuming you get the BT-W2 transceiver, you'll lose no features coming from the Mixamp. I'll concede that the chat/game mixing isn't as easy on the X7 as it is with the Mixamp (using the app via Bluetooth can be clunky/slow, so I normally have my iPhone cable attached permanently to make quick adjustments), but on the balance, it was a huge upgrade for me.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #38,318 of 48,583
  It is a huge step up in fidelity from the Mixamp, and assuming you get the BT-W2 transceiver, you'll lose no features coming from the Mixamp. I'll concede that the chat/game mixing isn't as easy on the X7 as it is with the Mixamp (using the app via Bluetooth can be clunky/slow, so I normally have my iPhone cable attached permanently to make quick adjustments), but on the balance, it was a huge upgrade for me.

Also, the sound can be further improved by either replacing the op-amps or adding an external dac/amp to the chain (or both if you're cheeky).

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #38,321 of 48,583
No rush, but how long till you can get a review together? Really looking forward to your impressions, since you have had the Singles for a bit now, so you will have a much better understanding of what going from just singles to complete swap does. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #38,322 of 48,583
No idea, the iDSD BL took me almost two weeks but that thing has bazillion different features and the final review ended up being seven pages long, op-amps should take much quicker.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #38,323 of 48,583

Thanks! That sounds about as convenient as it gets with the plug & play BT-dongle :) I might consider shelling out some hard earned bucks towards Creative then!

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #38,325 of 48,583

Thanks! That sounds about as convenient as it gets with the plug & play BT-dongle :) I might consider shelling out some hard earned bucks towards Creative then!

If you can, I'd wait until it goes on sale. @mbyrnes mentioned that Massdrop is doing a deal on the standard edition right now for $299.99 at the lowest drop price. Occasionally Creative will do a deal on the limited for $349.99.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/creative-sound-blaster-x7-amp-dac-combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back