Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 27, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #37,186 of 48,562
HD 598 CS sales are over (says till 27th at midnight/ and it's still 27th lol). So what to buy now ?
How are HD 598 SC compared to DT 770 ? I don't like heavy bass or any bass at all, similar to HD 598 neutral.

A40 are 90€
HyperX Revolver is 90€
A50 are 180€ at sale

I would change sound card because it uses old software and can't set any preference like FPS so I could hear footsteps louder.
Is there any solution with 7.1 USB sound cards like from Creative, steelseries or similar
Sound BlasterX G1 is 40€ just USB sound card
Is there any software I can use to improve game profiles like louder footstep for FPS mode. Original Creative one is useless for this settings. BlasterX Acoustic Engine Lite would work ?

Seems sale is over. It says black friday sale is till 27th at midnight. Is there any way I can contact Amazon support/help ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-598-Cs-Around-Ear/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=zg_bs_310193011_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=41B81WPNWYHZDFE885NY

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #37,187 of 48,562
I feel Ultrawide 1600p monitors are in a bad position. You can't set 4K on them. I think it'd make much more sense to just buy a 4K monitor, and set that 3840x1600 res whenever you want the ultrawide experience. I'd need 4K for the PS4 Pro, because it doesn't accept odd resolutions like that. People with 1440p monitors are screwed, as the Pro will lock them down to 1080p. Sony should've allowed the Pro to accept a 1440p res, and just downsample from 4K.

If it's simply for looks, then I guess it's alright.

Personally, I'd just wait for 5120x2160 ultrawides to come out. Actual 4K Ultrawide.

Then again, I snagged a stupid deal on an LG C6 OLED, which will be here Saturday. :D

4K, HDR, perfect blacks, I'm all in. It's slightly curved which I don't care for, but it's flat equivalent B6 has inferior processing, and inconsistent input lag.
how's the tv?

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #37,188 of 48,562
On this again, are you sure? If so, what is the point of the Sound Blaster X7 being able to decode Dolby Digital 5.1?

If a product could create headphone surround sound, do you not think they would list it in the product description?
How does the product tell if it's being used with stereo speakers or with headphones? It can't
I believe creating headphone surround sound is more complicated then simple down-mixing.

There are many sub-sections of Dolby, one of them being DDL (Dolby Digital Live).
Creative does not pay Dolby for all the many features of Dolby, just DDL is needed.
Which is what is needed to encode (compress) and decode (un-compress) up to 6-channels of digital audio, for passing thru S/PDIF (optical or coaxial).

So the Creative X7 needs to decode (un-compress) the digital audio coming out of the optical cable.
So the digital audio is decoded to PCM digital audio, which the X7 can do with as it please, like converting it into SBX Headphone surround sound

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #37,189 of 48,562
I recently got the audeze el-8s open from a friend and the clamp is a bit to much for me, is there another headphone around the $400 mark that you guys could recommend? I was thinking about getting the shure 1840s.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #37,191 of 48,562
If a product could create headphone surround sound, do you not think they would list it in the product description?
How does the product tell if it's being used with stereo speakers or with headphones? It can't
I believe creating headphone surround sound is more complicated then simple down-mixing.

There are many sub-sections of Dolby, one of them being DDL (Dolby Digital Live).
Creative does not pay Dolby for all the many features of Dolby, just DDL is needed.
Which is what is needed to encode (compress) and decode (un-compress) up to 6-channels of digital audio, for passing thru S/PDIF (optical or coaxial).

So the Creative X7 needs to decode (un-compress) the digital audio coming out of the optical cable.
So the digital audio is decoded to PCM digital audio, which the X7 can do with as it please, like converting it into SBX Headphone surround sound

I'm asking, what's the point of the X7 having support for something that it can't use besides converting it into basic stereo? Is there any situation where a 2.0 audio track wouldn't be available?

It'd be like having a Blu-Ray player that supported Blu-Ray 3D disks, but the only thing it could do would be to convert it into 2D, all the while every 3D movie already has the 2D version packed into it.

Makes no sense. Unless I'm missing something here.

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #37,192 of 48,562
it's not converting it to basic stereo but binaural stereo based on a fixed 5.1/7.1 speaker room HRTF.

hard panning left/right vs. flat 360° surround for better immersion, positioning and localizing sounds. That's the premise of this thread. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #37,193 of 48,562
I'm asking, what's the point of the X7 having support for something that it can't use besides converting it into basic stereo? Is there any situation where a 2.0 audio track wouldn't be available?

It'd be like having a Blu-Ray player that supported Blu-Ray 3D disks, but the only thing it could do would be to convert it into 2D, all the while every 3D movie already has the 2D version packed into it.

Makes no sense. Unless I'm missing something here.

Not sure where basic stereo and 2.0 tracks came into the conversation, about the X7?

Lets say some source device sends 6-channels (5.1) of encoded (Dolby compressed) digital audio thru an optical cable into the X7.
The X7 then uses it's DDL feature to convert the 6-channels of encoded (compressed) audio into 6-channels of PCM (un-compressed) audio,
Then the X7 takes the 6-channel of PCM digital audio and converts it into 2-channel of SBX Headphone surround sound, which it sends to the headphones (headphones are really a just tiny 2.0 speaker setup).

Modern Blu-ray disks (3D or 2D) will normally send video (and audio) thru HDMI (lots of bandwidth).
HDMI can carry up to 8-channel of 24-bit/192K of PCM audio.

S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) can carry 2-channels of PCM (24-bit/96k or 24bit/192K) of digital audio or up to 6-channel of encoded (compressed) 24-bit/48K of digital audio.

BetaWolf, just did some rereading of some of your earlier posts.
I think your equating fancy marketing terms (Dolby Digital 5.1) to what features are truly included in a product.
Some manufacturer pay a small royalty to Dolby to use one of Dolby's many audio features, but the manufacturer gets to label their product Dolby Digital 5.1.
So both the down-mixing DAC maker and the Creative get to label their products Dolby Digital 5.1, but may not really using the exact same Dolby features (but maybe very related).

I could make a wild guess the down-mixing device is just taking the main 2.0 Front Speaker channels and spicing up the audio with bits from the other four channels (center, sub, right and left rears).
Where as the X7 has all 6-channel fully separated and ready to be converted into SBX headphone surround sound

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #37,194 of 48,562

Not sure where basic stereo and 2.0 tracks came into the conversation, about the X7?

Lets say some source device sends 6-channels (5.1) of encoded (Dolby compressed) digital audio thru an optical cable into the X7.
The X7 then uses it's DDL feature to convert the 6-channels of encoded (compressed) audio into 6-channels of PCM (un-compressed) audio,
Then the X7 takes the 6-channel of PCM digital audio and converts it into 2-channel of SBX Headphone surround sound, which it sends to the headphones (headphones are really a just tiny 2.0 speaker setup).

Modern Blu-ray disks (3D or 2D) will normally send video (and audio) thru HDMI (lots of bandwidth).
HDMI can carry up to 8-channel of 24-bit/192K of PCM audio.

S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) can carry 2-channels of PCM (24-bit/96k or 24bit/192K) of digital audio or up to 6-channel of encoded (compressed) 24-bit/48K of digital audio.

BetaWolf, just did some rereading of some of your earlier posts.
I think your equating fancy marketing terms (Dolby Digital 5.1) to what features are truly included in a product.
Some manufacturer pay a small royalty to Dolby to use one of Dolby's many audio features, but the manufacturer gets to label their product Dolby Digital 5.1.
So both the down-mixing DAC maker and the Creative get to label their products Dolby Digital 5.1, but may not really using the exact same Dolby features (but maybe very related).

I could make a wild guess the down-mixing device is just taking the main 2.0 Front Speaker channels and spicing up the audio with bits from the other four channels (center, sub, right and left rears).
Where as the X7 has all 6-channel fully separated and ready to be converted into SBX headphone surround sound

That's what I was thinking. Some of the things I've read earlier scared me for a moment about my x7 le purchase haha. Thanks for the clarification :D

A quick question, what do you think about the audio cables that come with the x7? will they be sufficient or would upgrading them provide tangible results? Also know of any good, but cheap 3.5 mm male to male cables? Cheers

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #37,195 of 48,562
  That's what I was thinking. Some of the things I've read earlier scared me for a moment about my x7 le purchase haha. Thanks for the clarification :D

A quick question, what do you think about the audio cables that come with the x7? will they be sufficient or would upgrading them provide tangible results? Also know of any good, but cheap 3.5 mm male to male cables? Cheers

I usually try to by cables from Monoprice.
Some of their cables are listed as "Premium", but only cost av little more then regular cables.
Order a bunch of cables and shipping is usually still fairly low.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #37,197 of 48,562
how's the tv?

Once you go black you'll never go back, as they say. As impressive as the store demos are for the OLEDs, taking it home and testing it with your own stuff is a revelation. The contrast blows the hell out of everything I've seen today. In black screens, the TV looks like it's off. The colors...everything is phenomenal.

It's not perfect, as I see some black crush in the lowest levels of shadow detail, which fluctuate depending on brightness of the overall image. This is one area that needs improvement. Some instances 0-5 blacks (out of 0-255 in the greyscale) will either look fine, or will be all completely black. I never had any other TV have that issue, so yeah. Overall I'll take a little black crush considering how pretty much everything else is a 10 out of 10. It's beautiful.

Went to the store with the stepfather to get him a 65" Samsung KS8500, and as nice as it is, it pales in comparison to the OLED. Still, for LCD, its really fantastic as well.

I'll probably be spending all day tomorrow tweaking both displays, since I haven't had much time to mess with them outside of some easier calibrations.

I had a stuck pixel on my Oled, and funny enough, the next day, it was completely fine. Lol.

Also, my stepfather gave me some old Sony bookshelf speakers that were stored away, and they are pretty beastly. Saved me the hassle of shopping for some, though I do think the OLED has some good internal TV speakers for what it's worth. I initially though they were terrible, but all I had to do was toggle on the surround option on the TV. For some reason, it sounds like muffled garbage with it disabled. It was like a new set of internal TV speakers after turning that on. Still, the Sony speakers are definitely a step up.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #37,198 of 48,562
Nov 28, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #37,199 of 48,562
Once you go black you'll never go back, as they say. As impressive as the store demos are for the OLEDs, taking it home and testing it with your own stuff is a revelation. The contrast blows the hell out of everything I've seen today. In black screens, the TV looks like it's off. The colors...everything is phenomenal.

It's not perfect, as I see some black crush in the lowest levels of shadow detail, which fluctuate depending on brightness of the overall image. This is one area that needs improvement. Some instances 0-5 blacks (out of 0-255 in the greyscale) will either look fine, or will be all completely black. I never had any other TV have that issue, so yeah. Overall I'll take a little black crush considering how pretty much everything else is a 10 out of 10. It's beautiful.

Went to the store with the stepfather to get him a 65" Samsung KS8500, and as nice as it is, it pales in comparison to the OLED. Still, for LCD, its really fantastic as well.

I'll probably be spending all day tomorrow tweaking both displays, since I haven't had much time to mess with them outside of some easier calibrations.

I had a stuck pixel on my Oled, and funny enough, the next day, it was completely fine. Lol.

Also, my stepfather gave me some old Sony bookshelf speakers that were stored away, and they are pretty beastly. Saved me the hassle of shopping for some, though I do think the OLED has some good internal TV speakers for what it's worth. I initially though they were terrible, but all I had to do was toggle on the surround option on the TV. For some reason, it sounds like muffled garbage with it disabled. It was like a new set of internal TV speakers after turning that on. Still, the Sony speakers are definitely a step up.
Nice dude. I'm so jealous. My sony bravia 55x810c is a nice 4K tv. But it doesnt have HDR or the trimilious color thing. Those OLEDSs look great in the store thats for sure.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #37,200 of 48,562
I really like the 810c. It was a main contender for me about half a year ago, but I wanted smaller and went with the 830c at the time, but man, the IPS panel on the 830c was so awful and washed out. The video processing and upscaling was perfect though. The 810c would've been perfect if I wanted 55" back then. I didn't have much interest in HDR, and the 810c had a VA panel which was ideal.

In the end, all my plans flew out the window and I ended up with a 55" anyways, and I started getting invested in HDR. So I guess buying the 810c back then probably would've left me sour. But not mad. It's the best bang for buck TV without HDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back