Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #37,171 of 48,568
Hey Buddy, let us know what you think of them.

Had about an hour with them earlier while playing tomb raider with the X7. Quick impressions are they are very open sounding and the positioning is pretty good for a closed headphone. It's been a while since since I used a pair of of dt770's but from what I recall these sound much more open. They don't feel muffled or closed in coming from a pair of k7xx's previous.

These do not have the clamp that I've experienced with the the hd558,598 or PC 360's. They are more comfortable right out of the box.

Only thing I'll say about the sound with the little headtimebuve had with them is they are substantially more bassy then the normal hd598's. It's a different signature... I think it's a different driver, as well as the closed cup and the pads are some sort of synthetic leather. (Normally velour)

I got these for 100 bucks thru seem very solid for that price.

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #37,172 of 48,568
Had about an hour with them earlier while playing tomb raider with the X7. Quick impressions are they are very open sounding and the positioning is pretty good for a closed headphone. It's been a while since since I used a pair of of dt770's but from what I recall these sound much more open. They don't feel muffled or closed in coming from a pair of k7xx's previous.

These do not have the clamp that I've experienced with the the hd558,598 or PC 360's. They are more comfortable right out of the box.

Only thing I'll say about the sound with the little headtimebuve had with them is they are substantially more bassy then the normal hd598's. It's a different signature... I think it's a different driver, as well as the closed cup and the pads are some sort of synthetic leather. (Normally velour)

I got these for 100 bucks thru seem very solid for that price.

They seem to be even easier to drive than the open 598's as well,with their lower impedance and similar sensitivity.

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #37,174 of 48,568
Hey guys, does anyone have any experience with a downmixer for movies and games? Will I get positional cues with this? Planning on connecting it to something like a Magni 2. Looking for something compatible with game systems, computers, and blu-ray players.

https://goo.gl/52y5fQ

I am basically looking for something akin to the Astro Mixamp, but without the amplification stage.

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #37,175 of 48,568
Hey guys, does anyone have any experience with a downmixer for movies and games? Will I get positional cues with this? Planning on connecting it to something like a Magni 2. Looking for something compatible with game systems, computers, and blu-ray players.

https://goo.gl/52y5fQ

I am basically looking for something akin to the Astro Mixamp, but without the amplification stage.

I doubt the down-mixer provides any positional audio.

For a computer, just get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX or D1 or DX sound card, plug the Magni into the card.
(Xonar DX would be my preferred pick).

For a gaming console, get the Mix-amp, plug Magni into Mix-amp.
Mix-amp might also work with some Blu-ray players

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #37,176 of 48,568
I doubt the down-mixer provides any positional audio.

For a computer, just get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX or D1 or DX sound card, plug the Magni into the card.
(Xonar DX would be my preferred pick).

For a gaming console, get the Mix-amp, plug Magni into Mix-amp.
Mix-amp might also work with some Blu-ray players

If I went that route, I'd get a Sound Blaster Z > Modi 2 Uber > Magni 2. From what I understand, the Creative cards encode SBX into PCM in realtime.

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #37,177 of 48,568
I couldnt resist. I decided to get the Creative x7 LE. It's on the way.

Any good upgrade micro usb cables you guys recommend? Or will there be no need for a gold plated usb from ps4/pc to the x7 as the one supplied will be sufficient?

Any good 3.5 mm 5.1 analog cables for my logitech z906 speakers? I definitely have to replace them. I was thinking of using 3 aux cables for 5.1 haha. Anyone recommends a good quality cable that doesn't break the bank? 
I was looking at something like the one below. If you guys know a better build/audio quality cable please give me them suggestions :D
https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Plated-Stereo/dp/B00ESM433G/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1480237624&sr=8-11&keywords=3.5+mm+gold+plated+audio+cable

I was thinking of plugging my z906 speaker system into the X7 LE. I know the ps4 only emits 2.0 audio on ps4, if i use optical out from ps4 into the x7, would the analog output then be 5.1 into my z906? or should I just use optical out directly into my z906 from ps4? 

Would the usb from pc to x7 allow it to output 5.1 or would that also be 2.0 like the ps4?

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #37,179 of 48,568
What do you guy think my ideal setup will be for my headphones and z906 system? I have the x7 which will work for both ps4 and pc. 

I have modi2 uber and magni 2 uber but will only work well on pc and a asus dx in the pc. Would this setup be better than the x7? If yes, then that'll mean x7 only for consoles. Or will x7 outplay the dx to the uber stack combo? 

Thanks in advanced

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #37,180 of 48,568
Hi all - back for some more PS4 audio advice please - have spent a few weeks with the Phillips SHP9500/VModa Boom Pro combination and also the Sennheiser GSP300 gaming headset.  Also tried both with the Mixamp Pro and the Mixamp TR - (had a few issues with the TR).

End result is I prefer both headphones receiving just stereo sound than I do the virtual surround of the Mixamp (and the poorer voice quality the mixamp seems to offer!).   The GSP300 in particular are so easy to power that even the controller gets decent volume out of them.  

I still feel I'm missing out just routing audio via the pad though so wanted to investigate good value options for improving the stereo audio - external DAC/AMP??.  My question revolves around suitable good value equipment and the cabling setup.  I game in the lounge and really don't want and overly complication set up each time I get some game time.  I'm almost thinking of just going down the Lucidsound LS30 Stereo Wireless headset instead but want to explore this option for the better audio quality first.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #37,181 of 48,568
  Hi all - back for some more PS4 audio advice please - have spent a few weeks with the Phillips SHP9500/VModa Boom Pro combination and also the Sennheiser GSP300 gaming headset.  Also tried both with the Mixamp Pro and the Mixamp TR - (had a few issues with the TR).

End result is I prefer both headphones receiving just stereo sound than I do the virtual surround of the Mixamp (and the poorer voice quality the mixamp seems to offer!).   The GSP300 in particular are so easy to power that even the controller gets decent volume out of them.  

I still feel I'm missing out just routing audio via the pad though so wanted to investigate good value options for improving the stereo audio - external DAC/AMP??.  My question revolves around suitable good value equipment and the cabling setup.  I game in the lounge and really don't want and overly complication set up each time I get some game time.  I'm almost thinking of just going down the Lucidsound LS30 Stereo Wireless headset instead but want to explore this option for the better audio quality first.

Thanks in advance.

If your not into the virtual surround and prefer the stereo, you can look into the schiit external amp/dacs. The sound quality is awesome. And they dont break the bank. Some people prefer the o2 sound signature and some prefer the schiit signature depends on you :D. Both are excellent but just a different signature/taste.  
http://schiit.com/products
on that page you can see the specs of the modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber. I cant speak for many other brands. I have the asus xonar dx sound card, astro a50 with its astro wireless transmitter(similiar to mixamp in a way) and the schiit stack and the schiit stack sounded amazing with my headphones! You can also look into the creative x7 as its all in one and clean solution(something your looking for :D. Its also on sale to boot! You can also enable surround or disable it and play in direct mode and see which you prefer and can adjust to your liking) on paper its a little worse sound quality than the schiit stack from what i think, but its alot more convenient and more feature packed. Dont get me wrong though, the sound quality will still be awesome and will leave the astro mixamp in the dust

Someone correct me if im wrong, I dont want to give possible inaccurate advice as its an opinion from what i've experienced so far*

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #37,182 of 48,568
  If your not into the virtual surround and prefer the stereo, you can look into the schiit external amp/dacs. The sound quality is awesome. And they dont break the bank. Some people prefer the o2 sound signature and some prefer the schiit signature depends on you :D. Both are excellent but just a different signature/taste.  
http://schiit.com/products
on that page you can see the specs of the modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber. I cant speak for many other brands. I have the asus xonar dx sound card, astro a50 with its astro wireless transmitter(similiar to mixamp in a way) and the schiit stack and the schiit stack sounded amazing with my headphones! You can also look into the creative x7 as its all in one and clean solution(something your looking for :D. Its also on sale to boot! You can also enable surround or disable it and play in direct mode and see which you prefer and can adjust to your liking) on paper its a little worse sound quality than the schiit stack from what i think, but its alot more convenient and more feature packed. Dont get me wrong though, the sound quality will still be awesome and will leave the astro mixamp in the dust

Someone correct me if im wrong, I dont want to give possible inaccurate advice as its an opinion from what i've experienced so far*

Thank you - what happens re mic/voice comms when using those options - VModa/Phillips has a single 3.5mm connection, while the GSP300 have separate Mic/Audio jacks - I'm concerned voice chat won't get transmitted using the Schiit and everything I've read regarding voice via the X7 seems complicated and inconclusive?

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #37,183 of 48,568
If I went that route, I'd get a Sound Blaster Z > Modi 2 Uber > Magni 2. From what I understand, the Creative cards encode SBX into PCM in realtime.

Yea, the Creative Z series cards can send SBX Headphone surround sound thru optical.
Xonar DX sends Dolby Headphone surround sound thru optical

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #37,185 of 48,568
They seem to be even easier to drive than the open 598's as well,with their lower impedance and similar sensitivity.

I have them and can't complain, obviously I like more playing BF with my open MA900 or K702, but since I've had people in the room making noise, I really like using HD598Cs for that reason. Having less ambient noise i improved my results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back