Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #35,732 of 48,578
Lol I thought you'd never go down! Was this recent or did you have it saved? Mine was from last night as a spur of the moment thing. Didn't bother editing, though. Wish I did because I was trolling that dude in the mobile artillery vehicle for a good while lol.

Keep posting vids guys. I like it :)

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #35,733 of 48,578
Lol I thought you'd never go down! Was this recent or did you have it saved? Mine was from last night as a spur of the moment thing. Didn't bother editing, though. Wish I did because I was trolling that dude in the mobile artillery vehicle for a good while lol.

Keep posting vids guys. I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

That was yesterday. The only reason I survived was a good tank and awesome heals. Junkrat can be very squishy when he's solo. It's funny how I hopped on to play a quick game while the wife was busy for a few minutes and had an amazing match like that.

I'll have to watch your video on my lunch break, no time this morning after storms rolled through town.

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #35,736 of 48,578
Picked up the Lucidsound LS-30 at Best Buy.

I wish they weren't so bass heavy in the default mode. It made it harder to pick out positional queues when playing online shooters as it seemed to affect the clarity of other sounds at times. The default mode sounds like it already has enough bass to be the bass boost mode. Guess they opted to go the Astro A50 route and/or Beats in both looks and sound signature.

The cup controls are my favorite thing about this headset. They've simplified the controls greatly and the separate chat/game volume controls are a godsend. Not sure if its a PS4 thing (never seemed to have the same chat volume issues on Xbox 360) but half the battle when partying up is getting the right balance between game and chat volume.

They are a really pretty headset compared to the garbage looking stuff you normally associate with gaming headsets. They were also a nice snug fit and pretty comfortable. I have issues with some headphones causing jaw soreness after long hours of use but so far so good with these. 

Undecided if I'm going to keep them but its a good first effort in terms of looks and functionality. Crossing my fingers that the LS-40 tones that bass down a bit and to see how these sound with DTS: Headphone X compared to DH.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #35,737 of 48,578
Picked up the Lucidsound LS-30 at Best Buy.

I wish they weren't so bass heavy in the default mode. It made it harder to pick out positional queues when playing online shooters as it seemed to affect the clarity of other sounds at times. The default mode sounds like it already has enough bass to be the bass boost mode. Guess they opted to go the Astro A50 route and/or Beats in both looks and sound signature.

The cup controls are my favorite thing about this headset. They've simplified the controls greatly and the separate chat/game volume controls are a godsend. Not sure if its a PS4 thing (never seemed to have the same chat volume issues on Xbox 360) but half the battle when partying up is getting the right balance between game and chat volume.

They are a really pretty headset compared to the garbage looking stuff you normally associate with gaming headsets. They were also a nice snug fit and pretty comfortable. I have issues with some headphones causing jaw soreness after long hours of use but so far so good with these. 

Undecided if I'm going to keep them but its a good first effort in terms of looks and functionality. Crossing my fingers that the LS-40 tones that bass down a bit and to see how these sound with DTS: Headphone X compared to DH.
Doubt the ls-40 will have less bass. It looks like it will just be the ls-30 with DTS headphone x support.

I found the treble boost to add a bit more clarity and help with soundwhoring a bit, but it's only a small improvement. This headphone is what I go to whenever I'm chillin on the couch playing a single-player game.

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #35,738 of 48,578
Doubt the ls-40 will have less bass. It looks like it will just be the ls-30 with DTS headphone x support.

I found the treble boost to add a bit more clarity and help with soundwhoring a bit, but it's only a small improvement. This headphone is what I go to whenever I'm chillin on the couch playing a single-player game.

By chance have you had the used the sony golds before? If so how would you compare the sound and stereo performance between that and the ls-30?

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #35,739 of 48,578
By chance have you had the used the sony golds before? If so how would you compare the sound and stereo performance between that and the ls-30?
Sony golds do have way less bass in comparison to the ls-30. I would describe the bass as being neutral so you may really like the sound signature of the golds.

In stereo mode the headphone sounds great but the soundstage is a bit lacking and being able to pinpoint the enemy was a bit hard to do with the golds. For me to be able to get good spacial awareness i had to turn on VSS mode. But now the headphone sounds hollow. It's sort of a trade off.

With the ls30 I was able to here around me but the gold in surround mode made it a bit more accurate. Another thing the golds have is the Headset companion app which allows you to create custom EQs which is a nice feature.

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #35,740 of 48,578
Sony golds do have way less bass in comparison to the ls-30. I would describe the bass as being neutral so you may really like the sound signature of the golds.

In stereo mode the headphone sounds great but the soundstage is a bit lacking and being able to pinpoint the enemy was a bit hard to do with the golds. For me to be able to get good spacial awareness i had to turn on VSS mode. But now the headphone sounds hollow. It's sort of a trade off.

With the ls30 I was able to here around me but the gold in surround mode made it a bit more accurate. Another thing the golds have is the Headset companion app which allows you to create custom EQs which is a nice feature.

Thanks. I guess I'm going to have to figure out what tradeoffs matter the most. I want to go wireless because I'm kind of over the whole hassle of wired + mixamp when playing in the living room. I thought it'd be simple but its tough letting go lol

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #35,741 of 48,578
Thanks. I guess I'm going to have to figure out what tradeoffs matter the most. I want to go wireless because I'm kind of over the whole hassle of wired + mixamp when playing in the living room. I thought it'd be simple but its tough letting go lol
The golds are still a good option. They don't sound absolutely terrible in surround mode. I actually got used to the sound and it didn't bother me at all. If you had $300 I would get the steelseries h wireless. Linus had reviewed this headset on YouTube so go check that out when you have the chance.

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #35,742 of 48,578
Thinking of picking up a pair of Custom One Pro Plus to pair with my BoomPro. Anyone else use this combo?

I'm just looking for some comfortable headphones that will work with the BoomPro and will be good for dance/pop music.

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #35,743 of 48,578
I am looking for an amp for PS4 and after extensive research I have narrowed down to ifi micro iCan and creative x7. I understand that iCan is in different league from x7 in the amp section but it does not have SBX which I heard is great for gaming. However, iCan has great bass boost feature and 3D switch which widens soundstage quite a bit. X7 on the other hand does not have bass boost. Is x7's VSS better than having bass boost, 3D switch and better amp (i am only interested in immersive, fun and non-competitive gaming)? I will only use headphones and not interested in other outputs offered in x7. Maybe it is worth combining them both or that would be an overkill?
I can combine iCan with dss2 or mixamp and that would be cheaper but maybe it would sacrifice SQ too much (compared with combining with x7)?

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #35,744 of 48,578
I am looking for an amp for PS4 and after extensive research I have narrowed down to ifi micro iCan and creative x7. I understand that iCan is in different league from x7 in the amp section but it does not have SBX which I heard is great for gaming. However, iCan has great bass boost feature and 3D switch which widens soundstage quite a bit. X7 on the other hand does not have bass boost. Is x7's VSS better than having bass boost, 3D switch and better amp (i am only interested in immersive, fun and non-competitive gaming)? I will only use headphones and not interested in other outputs offered in x7. Maybe it is worth combining them both or that would be an overkill?
I can combine iCan with dss2 or mixamp and that would be cheaper but maybe it would sacrifice SQ too much (compared with combining with x7)?

X7 has actual virtual surround instead of artificial widening of the soundstage, and it does actually have a bass boost. Moreover, SBX encoded signal can be output via either toslink or rca to another device.

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #35,745 of 48,578
Gaming wise and everything else for that matter, real SBX surround > iCAN.
iCAN is a great amp though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back