Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 19, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #35,703 of 48,580
I agree on attaching it to the outer ring. Also consider putting it on the ear opposite the headphone cable entry. Although you lose the ability to easily wrap the Modmic cable and the headphone cable together, for me it balanced out the weight nicely and allowed more room to maneuver the Modmic. Below shows how I placed mine on the K7XX and it never fell off:

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #35,705 of 48,580
I've said for so many years now, 1440p was the sweet spot. 4k only makes a difference because TV manufacturers completely skipped 1440p. The difference between 1440p and 4k is next to none under normal viewing distances of TVs, and very hard to appreciate even with monitors.

Not only is 4K overkill, it makes it harder for GPUs. GPUs for console gaming will need another few years for it to be viable, if you want games to hit 4K at 60fps reliably.

The Scorpio is NOT prepared for 4K/60fps gaming, ESPECIALLY in 1.5 years time, when games will be even more taxing.

The power of the Scorpio would be PERFECT for 1440p/60+fps.

So essentially with the Scorpio, you can expect it to be a 4k/30fps gaming device, while the original XB1 will be a 720/1080p/30fps device. No real gains in visual fidelity outside of the resolution bump and some other things.

Now, the Neo actually seems more appealing because Sony is aiming to make it a 1080p/60fps machine, while the Scorpio will likely forego fps for more pixels which is the wrong way to go. UNLESS Microsoft gives gamers the option of 1080p/60fps or 4k/30fps, which would be great. But I don't see them doing that.

Considering all the good Xbox exclusives are coming to PC, I'd use that Scorpio money for a good PC instead that WILL hit 4K/60fps reliably next year. Right now, the 1080 seems to be hiotting around 50/60fp at 4K. So next year we should see that being stable at 60fps for awhile. Maybe the 1080ti or whatever is coming.

But 4K TVs are nice in that they upscale 1080p wonderfully. 1080p actually looks BETTER on 4K Tvs, due to no longer being able to see the pixel grid unless you're stupid close.

So at the moment, I'd be ok with a 1080p experience on a 4K tv. I had to return mine though due to a couple of reasons. Right now, I'm just on my laptop.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #35,706 of 48,580
If we have further material to talk about on this subject, may I suggest splitting it off to its own thread, or possibly seeking the enthusiasts or engineers at Tom's Hardware or one of the many console forums?

Really? 
blink.gif

Let's not split the thread, this convo is a nice departure from the usual "I play csgo, what's the best headphones?"

beerchug.gif

I've said for so many years now, 1440p was the sweet spot. 4k only makes a difference because TV manufacturers completely skipped 1440p. The difference between 1440p and 4k is next to none under normal viewing distances of TVs, and very hard to appreciate even with monitors.

Not only is 4K overkill, it makes it harder for GPUs. GPUs for console gaming will need another few years for it to be viable, if you want games to hit 4K at 60fps reliably.

The Scorpio is NOT prepared for 4K/60fps gaming, ESPECIALLY in 1.5 years time, when games will be even more taxing.

The power of the Scorpio would be PERFECT for 1440p/60+fps.

So essentially with the Scorpio, you can expect it to be a 4k/30fps gaming device, while the original XB1 will be a 720/1080p/30fps device. No real gains in visual fidelity outside of the resolution bump and some other things.

Now, the Neo actually seems more appealing because Sony is aiming to make it a 1080p/60fps machine, while the Scorpio will likely forego fps for more pixels which is the wrong way to go. UNLESS Microsoft gives gamers the option of 1080p/60fps or 4k/30fps, which would be great. But I don't see them doing that.

Considering all the good Xbox exclusives are coming to PC, I'd use that Scorpio money for a good PC instead that WILL hit 4K/60fps reliably next year. Right now, the 1080 seems to be hiotting around 50/60fp at 4K. So next year we should see that being stable at 60fps for awhile. Maybe the 1080ti or whatever is coming.

But 4K TVs are nice in that they upscale 1080p wonderfully. 1080p actually looks BETTER on 4K Tvs, due to no longer being able to see the pixel grid unless you're stupid close.

So at the moment, I'd be ok with a 1080p experience on a 4K tv. I had to return mine though due to a couple of reasons. Right now, I'm just on my laptop.

Watch it, Mad. Don't want to upset those lobbying to be mods, so please stay on topic in your own damn thread  
tongue.gif

BTW, I'm waiting on my E-MU Walnut's cable mod to be finished. Soon as they return I'll start a PM if you guys are still down, @Evshrug and @lenroot77

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #35,707 of 48,580
Watch it, Mad. Don't want to upset those lobbying to be mods, so please stay on topic in your own damn thread  :p .

BTW, I'm waiting on my E-MU Walnut's cable mod to be finished. Soon as they return I'll start a PM if you guys are still down, @Evshrug
 and @lenroot77

Can't Mad become his own mod? Like Jason Stoddard is in the Schiit Happened thread.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #35,708 of 48,580
Hi my DT990 pro died on me the other day so i am looking to get a new set of headphones, I been reading up most the day about soundstage and its best for FPS gaming?. So i been looking around a lot of forums and AD900X/akg k702 and another pair but i cant remember them have been mentioned a lot so i need help on picking a pair plz.

price ranger max £130
i have a Strix raid pro sound card
any info will be great TY

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #35,709 of 48,580
Just 'upgraded' to the Sennheiser Game Zeros (50 ohm version) from a pair of HD 201s. I was perfectly happy with the sound of the 201s, and was very disappointed to find the game zero's sounding extremely flat and tinny, using the exact same setup as the 201s... is this just how they sound and I made a terrible mistake?

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #35,710 of 48,580
Just 'upgraded' to the Sennheiser Game Zeros (50 ohm version) from a pair of HD 201s. I was perfectly happy with the sound of the 201s, and was very disappointed to find the game zero's sounding extremely flat and tinny, using the exact same setup as the 201s... is this just how they sound and I made a terrible mistake?

They might simply be underpowered. Try using an amp.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #35,711 of 48,580
I have heard the cheap and eager to please Sennheiser HD201, good can for the low low price, but I haven't heard the Game Zero. Sennheiser headphones often have different impedances at different frequencies, which means that it's quite possible that the bass needs a beefier amp than the midrange. The difference an amp made with several headphones has been the difference between liking said headphone or not, for me.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #35,712 of 48,580

let it burn in and use a more powerful amp...

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #35,713 of 48,580
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some help, I have an Astro mixamp gen2 (grey one) and use these with audio technical ath-pg1 on ps4 would adding a schiit amp improve the sound in any way or is the mixamp on its own this best I could get out of this set up, thanks in advance

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #35,714 of 48,580
Please excuse me while I rant for a sec. So I played Battlefront today and noticed everyone on both teams were positive in ratio after the match was over. I thought it was a glitch, but apparently all assists above 25% are now counting as kills after today's patch. This is now the world we live in, one where they hand out participation trophies in competitive play, now merging into video games. Gtfoh :/

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #35,715 of 48,580
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some help, I have an Astro mixamp gen2 (grey one) and use these with audio technical ath-pg1 on ps4 would adding a schiit amp improve the sound in any way or is the mixamp on its own this best I could get out of this set up, thanks in advance
Adding an amp to any audio source will only make it louder not better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back