Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 7, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #35,281 of 48,562
That's because those CoD maps don't have the content to fill in the gaps like the core BFs do. That game really is meant for paintball-esque gameplay, as you say. BF is the exact opposite, which makes it all the reason why NOT to compare the two.

But I was referring to server capacity, not map size. I never have a problem getting things going in BF :D

May 7, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #35,282 of 48,562

Dolby Atmos              0:15 - 5:16
SBX-Surround (33%)  5:16 - end

smile_phones.gif

May 7, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #35,283 of 48,562
Fenks, Thunda. I'm at work right now and can't listen to it.

What do you personally think about Atmos for Headphones with its first entry?

May 7, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #35,284 of 48,562

Dolby Atmos              0:15 - 5:16

SBX-Surround (33%)  5:16 - end

:smile_phones:

Whoaaa. What kind of black magic is this?

I'm very much impressed!

SBX now sounds more processed after watching this video lol.

Atmos doesnt really have any reverb like Dolby Headphone. Sounds spherical and sound quality doesn't sound degraded with Atmos.

Sounds as if all the sounds were really stitched together very finely with spider web in Atmos lol.

Im using my Monemtum Over ears right now since im in bed....its 5am and woke up since 2:30am, so my opinion might not be accurate lol

May 7, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #35,285 of 48,562
Fenks, Thunda. I'm at work right now and can't listen to it.

What do you personally think about Atmos for Headphones with its first entry?

It's hard to tell.
SBX sounds a bit cleaner to me, and the left/right panning of SBX(33%!) represents more what i see on screen.
Other than that there is not much of a difference, since all the stuff Atmos is capable of, seems to be integrated directly into the soundengine anyway.
After turning Atmos on, it felt a bit like turning the good old CMSS-3D on.
tongue.gif

May 7, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #35,286 of 48,562
It's hard to tell.
SBX sounds a bit cleaner to me, and the left/right panning of SBX(33%!) represents more what i see on screen.
Other than that there is not much of a difference, since all the stuff Atmos is capable of, seems to be integrated directly into the soundengine anyway.
After turning Atmos on, it felt a bit like turning the good old CMSS-3D on. :p

So thats why sbx sounds processed...33%.

Could you do another one with SBX at 100%?

Also, could you get footage of sound above you and below you?

That should be one of Atmos advantages in which it now delivers positional height cues...

May 7, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #35,287 of 48,562
So thats why sbx sounds processed...33%.

Could you do another one with SBX at 100%?

Also, could you get footage of sound above you and below you?

That should be one of Atmos advantages in which it now delivers positional height cues...

I don't find that it sounds processed, i find it even cleaner than Dolby Atmos there, and bit more open.
Now SBX at 100% would sound processed alot.

And the height cues are already integrated into the Wwise soundengine, as one can read here: http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2016/Presentations/Lawlor_Neumann_Overwatch_Play_by_Sound.pdf

May 7, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #35,288 of 48,562
I don't find that it sounds processed, i find it even cleaner than Dolby Atmos there, and bit more open.
Now SBX at 100% would sound processed alot.

And the height cues are already integrated into the Wwise soundengine, as one can read here: http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2016/Presentations/Lawlor_Neumann_Overwatch_Play_by_Sound.pdf

You're right, it does sound cleaner. Clearly being deprived from sleep doesn't make me pay attention or concentrate well lol.

I think the panning in Atmos is better though.

And the reason I only can think of why SBX sounds cleaner compared to Atmos may be because of how Atmos actually has more control of the ambient sounds or the way it processes all of the sounds in which it does it to purposely give the listener a good immersion and a listening feel of like being within the game or the way would actually hear sounds.

Also at 33%, I use to try it with my Recona3D and it sounds almost stereo like to me. I usually left it at 67% and moved up to 100% afterwards which gave me more of an immersion and made the rear "speakers" stand out more.

I still use it on my PS4 but hardly use the PS4 itself since I game more often on my PC...would like to try Overwatch with my set up which is Asus Xonar DG (For Dolby Headphone) optical out to a Schiit Modi 2 Uber>Cayin C5 portable Amp>Fidelio X2, HD598 or K7XX.

But I really dont have time right now to try the beta :frowning2: because werk, werk, werk.....

May 7, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #35,289 of 48,562
I'm not particularly impressed with Atmos. Sound separation was lacking. The 'lack' of processing is a double edged sword in that yes, it may sound clean, but it also can end up a bit stereo-esque with a lack of the depth that makes discerning location and distance harder..

Also, I dunno why, but Thunda's SBX vids don't exactly match up with what I hear from, the X7 in my own testing.

Dolby Atmos sounds good, don't get me wrong. Just not better than SBX and DH in terms of surround effect.

May 7, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #35,290 of 48,562
That's because those CoD maps don't have the content to fill in the gaps like the core BFs do. That game really is meant for paintball-esque gameplay, as you say. BF is the exact opposite, which makes it all the reason why NOT to compare the two.

But I was referring to server capacity, not map size. I never have a problem getting things going in BF :D

The content? Like BF has a lot of content. I'd take 20 minutes trying to find someone to kill in BF games. The maps are unnecessarily huge.

May 7, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #35,291 of 48,562
I'm not particularly impressed with Atmos. Sound separation was lacking. The 'lack' of processing is a double edged sword in that yes, it may sound clean, but it also can end up a bit stereo-esque with a lack of the depth that makes discerning location and distance harder..

Also, I dunno why, but Thunda's SBX vids don't exactly match up with what I hear from, the X7 in my own testing.

Dolby Atmos sounds good, don't get me wrong. Just not better than SBX and DH in terms of surround effect.

Well Dolby Atmos for headphones is still pretty new, even more so Overwatch being the first game to have it. And I think it also comes down to the developers as to how they implement Atmos into games.

I think we will start asking more questions then getting answers for now. On top of that, we need to test it ourselves with different set ups.

I'm sure there is more room for improvement amd this also will give companies a chance to improve and introduce new technologies for the coming years.

May 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #35,294 of 48,562
  Just a quick question.
Will a Xonar U3 -(optical)-> Modi Uber -> Magni -> headphones work and get Dolby Headphones while utilizing the Modi as DAC and Magni as AMP?

Yup.

He uses SBX set to 33% for some reason.

May 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #35,295 of 48,562
Not sure how you play but I never have that problem you have lol.

I'm always in the action in BF games.

A real battlefield can sometimes be overwhelming to others not familiar with the formula :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back