Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #34,397 of 48,583
Yes it does. You get stereo on PS4 (it cannot decode Dolby or DTS), but the setup is super easy: you just unplug your controller, use the same cable to plug in the E5, and VOILA instant gaming setup without need for a boompro, better amp than a Mixamp, and line out/optical to better gear if you wanna go crazy!

Now you know why I was hyped for the G5, before it came out also without the console surround? I have a pretty positive review of the E5 up (maybe in my signature). It's replaced the FiiO E12 for any purpose of mine, also a transport, also a Bluetooth bridge for any headphone, also...

Oh, I guess I was mistaken. I thought the firmware update was to finally have the E5 support virtual surround for consoles. If it's just stereo, then I have no interest in the E5 unfortunately. It's back to DSS1 + USB sound card for me. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #34,399 of 48,583
Is the sennheiser HD 598 still up there in terms of competitive gaming? I need a headset that is good for positional hearing for games like FPS. I don't need immersiveness and bass. Would you guys still recommend the sennheiser HD 598 for competitive gaming? I know this thread is kind of old so I want to make sure the scores are still relevant.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #34,400 of 48,583
  Is the sennheiser HD 598 still up there in terms of competitive gaming? I need a headset that is good for positional hearing for games like FPS. I don't need immersiveness and bass. Would you guys still recommend the sennheiser HD 598 for competitive gaming? I know this thread is kind of old so I want to make sure the scores are still relevant.

It's still top tier.

But there's a lot of new headphones like the Fidelio X2's and K7XX's that are as good competitively and have better SQ for not a whole lot more.

Still though can't go wrong with a 598.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #34,401 of 48,583

It's still top tier.

But there's a lot of new headphones like the Fidelio X2's and K7XX's that are as good competitively and have better SQ for not a whole lot more.

Oh, but doesn't the X2 according to MLE's review have a 8.25 in terms of competitiveness and the HD 598 have a 9.25 in terms of competitiveness. Why are they equal in terms of audio positioning if the HD 598 has a better rating?

Sorry I am a laymen and don't know much of this audiophile stuff.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #34,402 of 48,583
Oh, but doesn't the X2 according to MLE's review have a 8.25 in terms of competitiveness and the HD 598 have a 9.25 in terms of competitiveness. Why are they equal in terms of audio positioning if the HD 598 has a better rating?

Sorry I am a laymen and don't know much of this audiophile stuff.

Shouldn't compare scores. Been posted many, many times on this thread.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #34,403 of 48,583
And now we know why MLE decided to drop the scores altogether.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #34,404 of 48,583
It's still top tier.

A matter of opinion, really. While it's been some time since I last heard the HD 598 I can still tell you that I've come into several headphones that far surpass it for competitive gaming. The HD 598 may be top tier in its price range, but to my ears it's certainly not top tier overall.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #34,405 of 48,583
I would still say the 598 does better than the X2 competitively. Wouldn't knowe about the K7XX but I'd think they'd be close to one another.

You're picking an orange from a slightly different orange. They're still going to do very similarly competitively.

And yes, this is a reasons scores are gone soonish. If I had said scores are comparable and gave onbe a .00001 victory, people would dismiss the other headphone. It's ridiculous how people look for a number and it's all they need to make a decision, when this is all based on my opinions, and reading a review will better tell you if a headphone is right for you.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #34,407 of 48,583
I'm off the opinion that the difference in 'soundstage' is greatly exaggerated.  And by that I mean nearly every open headphone that's competently built has a good soundstage.  (I'm talking about dynamics here mostly) The differences between good and great is so small as to be insignificant.  

That's why I'd say 598 is still top tier.  I'm sorry I just don't buy that someone makes a play in Counterstrike or CoD with an HD 800 that he can't make with a 598, an AKG a Fidelio or whatever else.

A huge part of the reason I hold this opinion is we are talking about headphones.  Not a surround speaker set up.  SHouldn't really need to elaborate further there.

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #34,408 of 48,583
Sometimes when I listen to music or watch a movie with the HD598 I have to double check if I switched the X7 to headphone mode because it sounds as if the sound is coming from the speakers and not from the drivers right next to my ears. I'd like to upgrade sometime this year but I don't want to lose on that feeling. I'm kinda on the fence between HD700 and Shure SRH1840 (they cost about the same in Poland). Any thoughts, or opinions?

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #34,409 of 48,583
Maybe you can offer me some clarification... I'm now thinking of just getting a Creative X7 for my PS4 (since I'm running a Sound Blaster Z on my PC, I'd probably just get an Magni 2, if I were to do anything for that).  It can do surround when it's connected to a console, right?  And I also keep reading that it has trouble with mic stuff when it's connected to a console... the diagram on page 1 shows some adapter for it but I'm not sure what that adapter does.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #34,410 of 48,583
  Maybe you can offer me some clarification... I'm now thinking of just getting a Creative X7 for my PS4 (since I'm running a Sound Blaster Z on my PC, I'd probably just get an Magni 2, if I were to do anything for that).  It can do surround when it's connected to a console, right?  And I also keep reading that it has trouble with mic stuff when it's connected to a console... the diagram on page 1 shows some adapter for it but I'm not sure what that adapter does.

Basically, the X7 can only transmit the mic input over USB or Bluetooth. And since it can't work on PS4 via Bluetooth (it requires a proprietary driver) the other way is to pair it via Bluetooth with the BT-W2 adapter and use that for chat. The difference between the BT-W2 adapter and other BT adapters is that it is recognized as a USB Audio device and works on PS4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back