Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 6, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #33,706 of 48,563
The
The G5 apparently allows sbx surround via line out and optical out.

I actually noticed that Creative launched a new product called the Sound BlasterX G5.  It looks like some sort of crazy crossbreed of the X7 and the E5 (E5 form factor with same DAC/Amp, X7 SB-Axx1 audio chip and SBX virtual surround).  Certainly looks like an interesting alternative to the X7 if you don't need the speaker amp or bluetooth capabilities (too bad they didn't put in the BurrBrown DAC chip from the X7).

It's definitely more targeted at gamers than audiophiles, but probably competes with Schiit M/M stack for music. And it's $50 cheaper than the E5 too!

The G5 is useless for consoles as it does not pass discrete 5.1 like the X7. I think it is fine with PC but there is enough competition in that segment.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #33,707 of 48,563
The G5 is useless for consoles as it does not pass discrete 5.1 like the X7. I think it is fine with PC but there is enough competition in that segment.

Ah yeah. But I'm pretty much a PC gamer only nowadays, and I happen to prefer SBX over D:H and Razer's VSP, so that limits my choices a little.  I wish the $40 off coupon code still worked.. I would jump on that in a heart beat.  I'm 90% sure that I'm going to end up with an X7 anyhow because I could make use of the speaker amp (not to mention the dac is a bit better).

The only possible thing holding me back from the X7 is that it has 5.1 SBX instead of 7.1 like the G5... and I think the G5 software looks a lot more intuitive/modern.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #33,709 of 48,563
  get the X-fi HD because it has a better DAC and ADC. it is more hi-fi.

Output impedance is 35Ω.

I'm thinking about buying something like the Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro or the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD or Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 in order to get access to SBX Pro Studio for virtual surround.

Are there any major differences in these (they all seem to do pretty much the same thing)?

Would hooking up a hi-fi tube amp like a Schiit Lyr 2 to one of these guys be overkill?

X-Fi HD is 7.1 CMSS-3D. I'm not sure of the state of software support in Windows 10 for this card but beware that high output impedance.

X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro is software SBX Pro Studio (no soundcore chip) and 5.1. E5/G5 are 7.1 SBX Pro Studio.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #33,710 of 48,563
  Do the other Sound Blaster's (X-Fi HD, X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, X7) not allow this?

I know for sure the X7 doesn't.

There really isn't. Asus' implementation just adds a lot of revurb, Razor uses a GB of ram and can lag the sound, and the soundblaster cards don't hold a candle to the X7/G5's chip.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #33,711 of 48,563
Tip for anyone who has a Turtle Beach DSS that wants to get rid of the hissing buy a volume control like this one, turn the volume down just a little and the hissing goes away completely.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00S97ZIS0/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1452092455&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX220_SY330_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=headphone+volume+control&dpPl=1&dpID=41J0xYfUc8L&ref=plSrch

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #33,712 of 48,563
Monster is jumping into the gaming headset business. Sadly no Dolby Headphone or DTS X.
Price points are decent tho. 
http://fortune.com/2016/01/06/monster-headphone-debut-ces/
and 
http://www.thisisxbox.com/monster-bringing-a-new-fatal1ty-to-xbox-one/

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #33,713 of 48,563
MA900 is quite soft in treble compared to others, particularly for gaming use. I'm fine with treble roll off, personally, but it's something people note since it can blunt upper nuances.

I have no idea what some of what you said even means. You might have more experience in auditioning headphones to notice the differences better, but to my ears, the MA900 is leagues ahead of the HD598. Not only does the soundstage blow the doors off the 598, but the MA900 sound much better across nearly every genre of music, where the 598 falls flat on it's face on quite a few genres of music when comparing the two.  Regardless of our differing opinions, I have to thank you for the guide, as I would have never discovered the MA900 without it.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #33,714 of 48,563

I know for sure the X7 doesn't.

Really? That seems like a real bummer. What dac/amp were you planning on hooking up another dac/amp to it? Isn't the DAC?Amp inside the X7 pretty damn good already?

Quote:

There really isn't. Asus' implementation just adds a lot of revurb, Razor uses a GB of ram and can lag the sound, and the soundblaster cards don't hold a candle to the X7/G5's chip.

I agree.  SBX with the SB-Axx1 (i.e. X7 or G5) sounds like the way to go.  Now the question is X7 or G5 + separate headphone/speaker dac/amp (maybe something like Aune X1S and SMSL Q5 Pro for $300 together at massdrop)?

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #33,715 of 48,563
G5+Vali 2 8)

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #33,716 of 48,563

I agree.  SBX with the SB-Axx1 (i.e. X7 or G5) sounds like the way to go.  Now the question is X7 or G5 + separate headphone/speaker dac/amp (maybe something like Aune X1S and SMSL Q5 Pro for $300 together at massdrop)?

Yes, it does have a quality DAC/Amp in it already. However, I would get a G5 because I already have a Modi2u/Magni2u.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #33,717 of 48,563
Rudyrae, are you ready for that thing I was hinting I'd heard rumored Creative was working on? Got your hands firmly gripping your armchair? Get ready to wish you had $1,750, lmao:

http://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/
Dolby Atmos 15.2.4 soundbar. With multiple HDMI and optical inputs. Able to connect up to four subwoofers, wirelessly. Comes packed with free lawlz.

Looking at my bank account, the calendar with "Wedding" circled in November, and my collection of headphones, all I can realistically hope for is some trickle-down tech, but still... Wow. A surprise product for sure!

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #33,718 of 48,563
Rudyrae, are you ready for that thing I was hinting I'd heard rumored Creative was working on? Got your hands firmly gripping your armchair? Get ready to wish you had $1,750, lmao:

Dolby Atmos 15.2.4 soundbar. With multiple HDMI and optical inputs. Able to connect up to four subwoofers, wirelessly. Comes packed with free lawlz.

Looking at my bank account, the calendar with "Wedding" circled in November, and my collection of headphones, all I can realistically hope for is some trickle-down tech, but still... Wow. A surprise product for sure!

Holy crap that is ridiculous. MSRP is $5,000.  I have to say... I am definitely skeptical that a sound bar can sound as good as a proper surround system, but if anyone's technology could make it happen, I believe Creative's could.  If they somehow bake SBX Pro Studio into it for line out to make it usable as a main PC sound system, that'd be pretty sick haha

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #33,719 of 48,563

If only this was around during MLE's soundbar days lol

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #33,720 of 48,563
What happened? Did the X-Fi team strike back to show those SBX guys that the still pack muscle and don't rely on lazy virtual rooms but use geometric data of the user's home now? 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back