Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 5, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #32,356 of 48,578
Hey guys,

I heard that the new Mixamp Pro TR has streaming out (which is encoded with dolby headphones) via USB. I was wondering if anyone was planning on purchasing it, if they could test if they could connect the Mixamp to an external DAC via USB?

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #32,357 of 48,578
I feel a magni 2 would be fine. The main thing to watch out for is power at low impedance, and it's capable of like over 1 watt at 32 ohms, beating both the xonar essence stx and o2 amp, but I would say both those are fine too. 

The Q701 is not 32ohm, and the Magnis lose a lot of potential as you climb the impedance ladder. The Q701 is one of those headphones that people love to feed a lot of power, which at their 60-ish impedance the Magnis don't provide. It needs a big boy amp to truly shine. I'm usually someone who doesn't belioeve in scaling as much as the next person, but from personal tests, those AKG drivers are one of the very few headphones that do noticeably improve with better gear. Magnis are not enough. They may be good ENOUGH, but not up to their true levels.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #32,358 of 48,578
Back again, Im about to pull the trigger on some X2's but Ive been reading that the sound stage just isint all that great, Ill be switching from the hd558 since I want a more fun and immersive headphone for gaming, but is stiill good for competitive games like csgo and yes even cod. I just want to hear the opinions of those here about the sound stage part.

Lol don't read too much or else you are going to believe everything they tell you. From my experience when I tried the HD598 which is similar to the HD558 is that it has really good soundstage and focused a lot on the mid's, I like mid's lol. But comparing soundstage with soundstage, the X2 falls behind by just a bit, I could tell the difference but in no way did it actually affect immersion.

I feel like the X2 still has pretty good imaging for the type of sound signature it offers. You won't lose immersion at all if that is what you are looking for and you won't lose imaging either while still having that bass from explosions and stuff.

But if you really need that competitive edge, just stick with the HD558 or get an HD598 or an AKG K612, but you will lose the immersion since the bass is reduced and the mid's are more noticeable while giving an airy sound.

All grounder for immersion and still give you good positional audio, X2 is the go to headphone.

Just FYI, don't expect the headphones to make you a better game or increase your KD by a lot lol. Your situational awareness will improve and maybe you will save yourself from a death or 2 or get 3 more kills but just enjoy the sound because it makes gaming so much better.

Heck, I can own in a BF4 server without even using sound :p

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #32,359 of 48,578
Lol don't read too much or else you are going to believe everything they tell you. From my experience when I tried the HD598 which is similar to the HD558 is that it has really good soundstage and focused a lot on the mid's, I like mid's lol. But comparing soundstage with soundstage, the X2 falls behind by just a bit, I could tell the difference but in no way did it actually affect immersion.

I feel like the X2 still has pretty good imaging for the type of sound signature it offers. You won't lose immersion at all if that is what you are looking for and you won't lose imaging either while still having that bass from explosions and stuff.

But if you really need that competitive edge, just stick with the HD558 or get an HD598 or an AKG K612, but you will lose the immersion since the bass is reduced and the mid's are more noticeable while giving an airy sound.

All grounder for immersion and still give you good positional audio, X2 is the go to headphone.

Just FYI, don't expect the headphones to make you a better game or increase your KD by a lot lol. Your situational awareness will improve and maybe you will save yourself from a death or 2 or get 3 more kills but just enjoy the sound because it makes gaming so much better.

Heck, I can own in a BF4 server without even using sound :p

I agree completely I just need the soundstage to be good enough to be able to discern that sounds are clearly coming from a particular direction or angle like the 558 I'm already a LEM in cs go so it's not like I look to headphones to make me better but more just assist me. I was looking at the x2s immersion for fallout 4 and Star Wars battlefront and other rpg games but if it was good for competitive to I wouldn't need to switch between it and the 558.

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #32,360 of 48,578
I agree completely I just need the soundstage to be good enough to be able to discern that sounds are clearly coming from a particular direction or angle like the 558 I'm already a LEM in cs go so it's not like I look to headphones to make me better but more just assist me. I was looking at the x2s immersion for fallout 4 and Star Wars battlefront and other rpg games but if it was good for competitive to I wouldn't need to switch between it and the 558.

Trust me, the X2 is an awesome headphone. I'm using my X2 with an Asus Sonar DG with Uni drivers and running optical out to a Schiit Modi 2 Uber and. Cayin C5 portable AMP and the sound is awesome! I'll be getting the O2 from masssdrop, hopefully next week and see how that matches up with my set up. My Fiio E11 is now abandoned lol

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #32,361 of 48,578
Trust me, the X2 is an awesome headphone. I'm using my X2 with an Asus Sonar DG with Uni drivers and running optical out to a Schiit Modi 2 Uber and. Cayin C5 portable AMP and the sound is awesome! I'll be getting the O2 from masssdrop, hopefully next week and see how that matches up with my set up. My Fiio E11 is now abandoned lol

I'll be running through the newer astro mixamp pro since I can get audio from my pc and consoles at the same time since it's a Low ohm headphone I assume that'll be alright.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #32,362 of 48,578
I'll be running through the newer astro mixamp pro since I can get audio from my pc and consoles at the same time since it's a Low ohm headphone I assume that'll be alright.

I'm really interested in the new mixamp pro tr.
But since my mixamp pro is barely new.
I would have 2 mixamp.
Do you have a older mixamp? Can you compare when you get yours.?

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #32,365 of 48,578
The Q701 is not 32ohm, and the Magnis lose a lot of potential as you climb the impedance ladder. The Q701 is one of those headphones that people love to feed a lot of power, which at their 60-ish impedance the Magnis don't provide. It needs a big boy amp to truly shine. I'm usually someone who doesn't belioeve in scaling as much as the next person, but from personal tests, those AKG drivers are one of the very few headphones that do noticeably improve with better gear. Magnis are not enough. They may be good ENOUGH, but not up to their true levels.

The thing that sets those AKGs apart from most dynamic headphones is the high amount of current it uses. Max power at a low impedance like 32 ohms is a good measure of how much current an amp can produce. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #32,366 of 48,578
Anyone else having problems with their ps4 controllers not charging anymore?

That's what happens when the world can't get over the stupad as all hell micro usb standard. I absolutely hate everything about it and want it to die NOW. The ports go bad, the cables go bad, it's a damn nightmare.

Type C can't come soon enough.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #32,367 of 48,578
The thing that sets those AKGs apart from most dynamic headphones is the high amount of current it uses. Max power at a low impedance like 32 ohms is a good measure of how much current an amp can produce. 

Which the Magni can't provide for the AKGs. Believe it or not, people expect over a watt or TWO for the AKGs. Sure, the Magni pulls over a watt at 32ohm, but drops off considerably at the AKG's impedance.

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #32,368 of 48,578
That's what happens when the world can't get over the stupad as all hell micro usb standard. I absolutely hate everything about it and want it to die NOW. The ports go bad, the cables go bad, it's a damn nightmare.

Type C can't come soon enough.

I'm not a fan of type c either. They look like they're just as prone to breaking like micro usb. I really hate to admit this but the lightning connector just might be the perfect connector. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #32,369 of 48,578
I feel type C will mitigate some of the ridiculousness of the micro usb shenanigans though. For one, trying to insert in the cables in darkness, like for example, when using your phone for a minute and then plugging it back in the middle of the night. Reversible cables should've been a standard ages ago.

Whomever thought micro usb was a better idea than mini usb needs to be fired. Yes, let's make the cables 1000x more prone to breakage. I don't think I've had ONE mini usb device that has ever broken on me, input or cable. Older Fiio stuff, Mixamps, PS3 controllers, etc. None.

Micro USB? Nearly every single phone I've owned stopped charging at some point, or constantly loss of connection/charge, or just spending a needless amount of money trying to find micro usb cables that wouldn't break after the first few weeks.

I'm really, really a vocal hater of Micro USB. It is the devil's connection.

Right now, I'm stuck with a half working Nexus 6 9I stepped on it a few months ago in the middle of the night), as I'm waiting for type C phones to come to market. I want the Nexus 6P, but then I found out carriers won't be selling it, and since I have T-Mobile Jump (which allows me to change phones as much as 3 times a year)... I don't even know what to upgrade to. I told myself the Nexus 6 was the last phone I would get with Micro USB. Also, no way in hell I'll ever buy Apple, even though I love their connector.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #32,370 of 48,578
Inductive/wireless charging was one of the main reasons why I decided on the S6. I loved it when I had my Palm Pre and missed it tremendously when I had to upgrade and then upgrade again to another phone that didn't have wireless charging. The only time I ever need to plug in my S6 is file transferring and when I need that quick charge when I knock my phone off the charging stand when I'm asleep.

Still despise touch wiz tho. Too lazy to root.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back