Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #31,831 of 48,578
http://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Converter-Adapter-Transceiver/dp/B0085HOM4K

Was thinking about one of these for my KSC35s. I'd just wrap the KSC35's cable to the Receiver or something and keep it in my work shirt pocket...

edit: Hmm, I see issues about a second delay, and then there is the little problem of... volume control. Damn.

May contact Creative to see if they'd like to send out the Soundblaster Jam for review. It's cheap, wireless, and the design reminds me of the Ultrasone 15 and 15G.

Try Jabra BT3030.

Quote:
  Ok, so I assume the 
  1. Cross-platform connectivity

on the G5 page means optical in. I don't see any other way other than this thing to dissapoint and be USB only.

Or <wishful_thinking> mini HDMI passthrough </wishful_thinking>

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #31,833 of 48,578
  I was looking at MLE's diagram for using an external amp with a virtual surround sound device and was unsure how you would incorporate a boompro.  Is this correct?

Mixamp > Y-adapter headphone output > amp > BoomPro Y-adapter headphone input
Mixamp > Y adapter microphone output > Boom Pro Y-adapter microphone input

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #31,834 of 48,578
thanks yethal.  I see where I got mixed up...I forgot about the y-adapter for the boompro when I was drawing that up which caused me to get confused how the mixamp y-adater came into play and thought I didn't need it.  Feels good to learn haha!

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #31,835 of 48,578
So is there a general consensus on here as to closed back headphones with the most exceptional soundstage and positional imaging (for footsteps in competitive FPS games)? I need closed cans specifically for noisy LAN environments (MLG) and will be running the headphones through the Astro MixAmp exclusively (so low impedance is a must). Right now I'm looking at the AKG K553 Pro, ATH-A900X, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (32 Ohm). Any others that I'm missing and any clear winners here?

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #31,836 of 48,578
  So is there a general consensus on here as to closed back headphones with the most exceptional soundstage and positional imaging (for footsteps in competitive FPS games)? I need closed cans specifically for noisy LAN environments (MLG) and will be running the headphones through the Astro MixAmp exclusively (so low impedance is a must). Right now I'm looking at the AKG K553 Pro, ATH-A900X, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (32 Ohm). Any others that I'm missing and any clear winners here?

My personal favorite closed gaming headphone is the Alpha Dog. Unfortunately, I've never heard an efficient headphone that comes close, and you'd need an amp with the Mixamp. I ran my Mixamp into an E12 for the AD. Sorry, but I can't speak to any of the ones you mentioned because I haven't heard most of them and I didn't care for the DT-770.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #31,837 of 48,578

My personal favorite closed gaming headphone is the Alpha Dog. Unfortunately, I've never heard an efficient headphone that comes close, and you'd need an amp with the Mixamp. I ran my Mixamp into an E12 for the AD. Sorry, but I can't speak to any of the ones you mentioned because I haven't heard most of them and I didn't care for the DT-770.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately those are way out of my price range (can't really go above $300) and I'd need the headphones to work without an extra amp (lots of traveling to LAN's so need to be portable and quick to set up - ideally Mixamp and headphones/mic only).

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #31,840 of 48,578

What Is the Astro Mix-amp connected to?

AKG K553 Pro or ATH-A900X would seem like the best value.
I own the AKG K550 and ATH-A900X headphones, I prefer the A900X over my K550 (the A900X being more musical).
but I've heard the K553 Pro is an improvement over the K550.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #31,841 of 48,578

What Is the Astro Mix-amp connected to?

AKG K553 Pro or ATH-A900X would seem like the best value.
I own the AKG K550 and ATH-A900X headphones, I prefer the A900X over my K550 (the A900X being more musical).
but I've heard the K553 Pro is an improvement over the K550.

The MixAmp would be plugged directly into a PS4 via an optical cable (also would tether in my PC to it when I'm at home - but that's not a priority at all). I'm definitely considering the K553 and A900X as my top two right now! Although I'm not sure where the Custom One Pro would fit in with those two (better/worse/different?). Thanks for the input!

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #31,842 of 48,578
  The MixAmp would be plugged directly into a PS4 via an optical cable (also would tether in my PC to it when I'm at home - but that's not a priority at all). I'm definitely considering the K553 and A900X as my top two right now! Although I'm not sure where the Custom One Pro would fit in with those two (better/worse/different?). Thanks for the input!

You can get a low cost sound card, like the Asus Xonar DG or DGX, for your PC.
Just leave the Astro plugged into the gaming console.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #31,843 of 48,578

You can get a low cost sound card, like the Asus Xonar DG or DGX, for your PC.
Just leave the Astro plugged into the gaming console.

Yeah, I need to listen to both at the same time though, and the MixAmp just simplifies that (when I am home that is - main priority is LAN performance with just the MixAmp and some closed headphones with great soundstage).

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #31,844 of 48,578
  Yeah, I need to listen to both at the same time though, and the MixAmp just simplifies that (when I am home that is - main priority is LAN performance with just the MixAmp and some closed headphones with great soundstage).

How were you planning on listening to your PC audio and gaming console audio at the same time, with I'm assuming would be one headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back