Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 1, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #30,916 of 48,562
I currently own the Sennheiser PC 360's, but after several years, I am no longer a competitive FPS gamer on PC.  Been playing more casual games, MOBA's, MKX on PS4, and listening to a lot more music.  I bought a headphone amp, but there's just no booms to be had with the PC360's.

I am thinking that the Beyerdynamics DT series will give me a lot more fun sound for my current use, but I still need a headset.  However, the Beyerdynamics are not listed as being compatible with the V-Moda Boom Mic.  Is there an issue with it?

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #30,917 of 48,562
  I currently own the Sennheiser PC 360's, but after several years, I am no longer a competitive FPS gamer on PC.  Been playing more casual games, MOBA's, MKX on PS4, and listening to a lot more music.  I bought a headphone amp, but there's just no booms to be had with the PC360's.

I am thinking that the Beyerdynamics DT series will give me a lot more fun sound for my current use, but I still need a headset.  However, the Beyerdynamics are not listed as being compatible with the V-Moda Boom Mic.  Is there an issue with it?

Custom One Pro requires headphones to have a removable 3.5mm cable. Try Beyerdynamic Custom one pro.

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #30,918 of 48,562
Anyone have an optimal setting to run the Mixamp pro for Astro A40 gen2 and then for the K701 annie off of XB1? Also which setting to use within the Xb1 itself. I only play FPS shooters so just looking for the optimal settings for positional ques haven't really found a clear cut answer or the perfect setting for it yet. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #30,921 of 48,562
  So I'm looking for a solution for PC gaming.  I wants Dolby Headphone surround and a good external DAC Amp combo then to Headphones.  How would I set this up? thx.

Maybe you should read the first page, then come back with some more specific questions/parameters such as price range.
You seemed to have put a total of 5 sec of effort, i could be wrong but i doubt it.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #30,922 of 48,562
Hey, can someone advise me as to what my best options are?

Here's what I'm itching to do:
I own a PS4 and the Fidelio X2's and the V-Moda M100. I'm looking to get virtual surround on my PS4, so I looked into the Mixamp but people complain of hissing and other issues. I'm also considering a Skullcandy PLYR1 because it seems to have decent quality and the convenience of wireless. Now I also have a Fiio E10k which I've been meaning to replace because I want virtual surround on my PC, so now I'm considering buying a Creative X7 so I can use it between my PS4 and PC. Anyone got any tips for what the best option is for sound quality?

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #30,923 of 48,562

I own a PS4 and the Fidelio X2's and the V-Moda M100. I'm looking to get virtual surround on my PS4, so I looked into the Mixamp but people complain of hissing and other issues. I'm also considering a Skullcandy PLYR1 because it seems to have decent quality and the convenience of wireless. Now I also have a Fiio E10k which I've been meaning to replace because I want virtual surround on my PC, so now I'm considering buying a Creative X7 so I can use it between my PS4 and PC. Anyone got any tips for what the best option is for sound quality?

I've recently returned to this thread after some time spent away from the subject, so I'm still catching up. I know at least one person here will likely suggest the Creative X7. As far as I can tell it has good quality and lots of inputs, but I have heard it mentioned that you must use a work-around for mics on PS4. I do not know what the work around involves, but it likely involves an output from either the mic or the X7 itself to the PS4 controller.

In regards to the Mixamp, I have one myself, though like I said, I've been absent from the thread for a while so am not sure of problems others have encountered. The Mixamp when paired with headphones of a similar sensitivity to the A40 is pretty good. The problem is the mic output when used with the PS4 is appalling, however there is a work around. The theory is that the Mixamp's own internal noise gate doesn't play well with the PS4. The workaround is to connect a PS4 chat cable to the output designed for XBOX 360 chat cable and the other end to the controller. This bypasses the noise gate of the Mixamp. The one problem there is that, if you have the USB cable connected to the PS4 controller it makes noise. I personally like to keep my controller plugged in so this bugs me a little and is one of the reasons I have returned to the thread beside generally catching up.

One problem with the Mixamp when pairing it with some headphones is that if they are sensitive you will hear a hiss (the noise floor). On the other hand, if you pair it with harder to drive headphones, the Mixamp alone may not give sufficient volume, meaning you have to double amp as the Mixamp does not have a line level output that contains the virtual surround processed audio. This again can cause hiss.

Edit: In consideration of the fact that you mentioned wanting to replace the Fiio, I assume you are in need of a DAC/amp for your PC. I think you'll be better off with the X7, though as I don't own one I cannot answer any questions about it.

Feels kind of pointless me having spent the time explaining the Mixamp issues now :frowning2:

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #30,925 of 48,562
  do the hd 598's need a amp when used on a ps4 with a modmic when used with a mixamp or onboard audio?

For the MixAmp - not really. They definitely can benefit from amping, but it's not absolutely necessary out of the MixAmp.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #30,926 of 48,562
Thats a relief to hear i had a few headphones i was looking at but they all ended up being $300+ cause they all needed a amp and i wasn't sure i really wanted to spend that much since i'm kinda new to this and i've only used stuff like razer cacharias,siberia v2,slyrs.

*edit* Will they work on a pc w/o a amp?

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #30,927 of 48,562
  do the hd 598's need a amp when used on a ps4 with a modmic when used with a mixamp or onboard audio?

I have the HD598 mixamp and the modmic and it is entirely possible to use this combo without additional amp

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #30,928 of 48,562
Thats a relief to hear i had a few headphones i was looking at but they all ended up being $300+ cause they all needed a amp and i wasn't sure i really wanted to spend that much since i'm kinda new to this and i've only used stuff like razer cacharias,siberia v2,slyrs.

*edit* Will they work on a pc w/o a amp?

That depends on the power supplied by your PC's headphone output. In most cases, the answer is yes. My MacBook Pro drives them just fine. Same with the iPad and iPhone. I did run into an issue one time where I couldn't get much volume out of a lower-end Toshiba laptop... but I guess that's what you get when you buy a $200 laptop, LOL!

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #30,929 of 48,562

We have the same setup  - I went with the massdrop X7 - the Mixamp just has too many compromises with hiss and mic problems. We will see how it goes.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #30,930 of 48,562
First of all, thanks to Mad Lust Envy & all the contributors to this guide. Really informative.

I have a question:

Xbox 360 > DSS > Mixamp 2011 > Fiio E12A > KX77 or PC360

I Take the Mixamp/PC360 out of the equation when I don't need chat. At least until I can get the KX77 rigged up with either the BoomPro or the DX Clip On.
The Mixamp is only there to pass through the audio from the DSS via MP3 in, with the dial set fully to Voice.
I find this adds quite a lot of noise unless I dial it back to Game.
I'm just wondering whether a better quality chat cable would help matters, or is that just the best I can hope for on the 360?
I've been looking at this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201307378151?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=500501578943&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bonus question:
Has anyone in the UK found an alternative to the AKG adapter by Mimic Cables?
http://www.mimic-cables.com/products/akg-3pin-mini-xlr-to-stereo-3-5mm-adapter
I've tried everywhere (including emails to custom cable manufacturers).
I can't believe this is so hard to come by.
Thanks for any assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back