Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 1, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #30,076 of 48,562
I have bf4 for pc. It does not have a headphone surround mode built-in that I could find.

Might be just a console thing? But why go to the trouble and expense to create a feature, then strip it from a PC version? Double check!

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #30,077 of 48,562
What you guys think. Mint condition HD700 for $350! How are those for gaming anyways? Thanks!

Oh I liked 'em, and that's a good price. You get that thicker HD6xx sound in the mids without the veil, less brightness (and detail) than the HD800 (though still some people really notice a treble spike, I personally got used to it quickly compared to the Beyerdynamic spike which bothered my ears more and more). Decent soundstage, but not as good as AKG if both are amped with quality.

It's not a baby HD800, it's something different in sonic character yet shares some awesome styling from the flagship (looks cooler imo).

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #30,078 of 48,562
Might be just a console thing? But why go to the trouble and expense to create a feature, then strip it from a PC version? Double check!

It increases dynamic range. When I was talking to Creative back when I was trying to figure out why the hell I couldn't switch the speaker settings to 5.1 (and earlier in this thread or the X7 thread this is mentioned to,) the customer support rep brought up that BF4 had its own driver settings that let it due its own 3D sound.

I'm starting to like the ZMF Blackwood more and more for gaming. With all the ports open, the Skyrim ba-dum in the beginning goes very deep and rumbles a bit (since all ports make the bass a tad bit loose as opposed to it being tighter when they're closed. It's a subtle difference though, and the bass itself doesn't increase near as drastically as the Vibro does.) I'm still trying to mod the hell out of Skyrim while keeping it stable, but even with a 295x2 and 16gb of ram, getting 1440p to run smoothly is a bitch. But hey, at least I get screenshots like this:

http://i.imgur.com/yR6X6Pd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1h4vipT.jpg

Though, there's still some things off about that, mainly why the hell is everything so pixelly and why won't mai water load. Ah well. Attempt number eight tonight I guess.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #30,079 of 48,562

idk, some type of licencing issue? How strong is the evidence that it exists on the console version? I found on pc, the speaker config controlled 2.0 vs 4.1 output, and speaker type controlled equalizer and dynamic range compressor ( also evidenced in this dice slide http://i.imgur.com/gydJNq7.jpg ).  When I checked headphone + surround, I noticed 4.1 was still being output by the game, which indicates no special headphone surround mode in the game. I also checked with headphone+surround+dolby headphone and noticed no echoes characteristic of double headphone virtualization. The game sounded pretty similar on home cinema, hifi, and headphone.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #30,080 of 48,562
Oh I liked 'em, and that's a good price. You get that thicker HD6xx sound in the mids without the veil, less brightness (and detail) than the HD800 (though still some people really notice a treble spike, I personally got used to it quickly compared to the Beyerdynamic spike which bothered my ears more and more). Decent soundstage, but not as good as AKG if both are amped with quality.

It's not a baby HD800, it's something different in sonic character yet shares some awesome styling from the flagship (looks cooler imo).
great Thx for answering. I saw it for sell but was debating on each one I should buy. Fostex TH600 or that for music and gaming!

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #30,081 of 48,562
  idk, some type of licencing issue? How strong is the evidence that it exists on the console version? I found on pc, the speaker config controlled 2.0 vs 4.1 output, and speaker type controlled equalizer and dynamic range compressor ( also evidenced in this dice slide http://i.imgur.com/gydJNq7.jpg ).  When I checked headphone + surround, I noticed 4.1 was still being output by the game, which indicates no special headphone surround mode in the game. I also checked with headphone+surround+dolby headphone and noticed no echoes characteristic of double headphone virtualization. The game sounded pretty similar on home cinema, hifi, and headphone.

A company can't have a licensing issue caused by its own engine. That makes no sense.

Go look up what Enhanced Stereo setting did for BF3. It added L/R channel crosstalk and certain settings, like Headphones and HiFi/Cinema, added a better, clearer dynamic range compared to the heavily compressed War Tapes and TV settings. None of those have anything to do with traditional EQ.

For BF4, the names changed. However, if you set it to headphones and surround, it has the same channel crosstalk the previous game had. DICE has never come out and explain what the audio-settings did, and the popular consensus that makes the most sense is that enhanced stereo was added into headphones setting. Otherwise, it would be irrelevant next to HiFi (meant for two speakers) and Cinema (meant for more than one) as it would have no characteristics the other two didn't have already.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #30,082 of 48,562
Hey, if I may divert the current drift of conversation...  I'll make this question broad.  Does anyone know of good microphone solutions that will work with both PC and console?  What I'm really wishing is that there's an easy way to get a usb mic to work with an Xbox One, but I think that isn't possible.  I'm just looking for a mic around $100 or less that I can use to chat on console and PC, preferably one that I can set on a table as opposed to a modmic that you have to wear headphones with, so I can easily use it with speakers if I so choose.

BTW I suppose it's extremely difficult if at all possible to get the X2 for any less that $300?

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #30,083 of 48,562
  For BF4, the names changed. However, if you set it to headphones and surround, it has the same channel crosstalk the previous game had. DICE has never come out and explain what the audio-settings did, and the popular consensus that makes the most sense is that enhanced stereo was added into headphones setting. Otherwise, it would be irrelevant next to HiFi (meant for two speakers) and Cinema (meant for more than one) as it would have no characteristics the other two didn't have already.

It seems the home cinema setting is maximum dynamic range with no EQ, and all the other settings differ by having less dynamic range or an EQ applied. This description was made in an interview: "F
or each of these settings, we define a window of dynamic range in dB, (which is smaller for TV speakers than home cinema), a compression setting (TV is mildly compressed, home cinema is not), and a master EQ setting (TV has bass cut and a high boost, home cinema has no master EQ applied.)" from http://www.waves.com/ben-minto-on-game-sound-design.

So speaker type affects equalizer and dynamics, and speaker config effects 2.0 vs 4.1 output, and those are the only changes you can make afaik.

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #30,084 of 48,562

It seems the home cinema setting is maximum dynamic range with no EQ, and all the other settings differ by having less dynamic range or an EQ applied. This description was made in an interview: "F
or each of these settings, we define a window of dynamic range in dB, (which is smaller for TV speakers than home cinema), a compression setting (TV is mildly compressed, home cinema is not), and a master EQ setting (TV has bass cut and a high boost, home cinema has no master EQ applied.)" from http://www.waves.com/ben-minto-on-game-sound-design.

So speaker type affects equalizer and dynamics, and speaker config effects 2.0 vs 4.1 output, and those are the only changes you can make afaik.

So I was two-thirds right on those settings. However, the headphone setting has been understood as "Enhanced Stereo + Headphone" from BF3. If you switch it to the 4.1 setting, you'd be sending the surround into the mixamp. If you set up the stereo setting with headphone, you'll get their enhanced stereo setting that has channel crosstalk that BF3 had. That is the experience I had on the console, anyway, and it shouldn't be any different from the PC release (which I have switched to earlier in the year.)

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #30,085 of 48,562
  So I was two-thirds right on those settings. However, the headphone setting has been understood as "Enhanced Stereo + Headphone" from BF3. If you switch it to the 4.1 setting, you'd be sending the surround into the mixamp. If you set up the stereo setting with headphone, you'll get their enhanced stereo setting that has channel crosstalk that BF3 had. That is the experience I had on the console, anyway, and it shouldn't be any different from the PC release (which I have switched to earlier in the year.)

I'm not really sure what enhanced stereo was. I've found different people independently saying it made gun shots louder, so it makes me think it was also a dynamic range setting of some type. I've also seen it described as crossfeed or as virtual surround. I did play a round today with headphone+surround+dolby headphone and home cinema+surround+dolby headphone, with the windows mixer at 5.1 both times, and found the experiences very similar. If the headphone setting was going for a unique sound, I wasn't picking up on it.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #30,086 of 48,562
I'm not really sure what enhanced stereo was. I've found different people independently saying it made gun shots louder, so it makes me think it was also a dynamic range setting of some type. I've also seen it described as crossfeed or as virtual surround. I did play a round today with headphone+surround+dolby headphone and home cinema+surround+dolby headphone, with the windows mixer at 5.1 both times, and found the experiences very similar. If the headphone setting was going for a unique sound, I wasn't picking up on it.

It's for people who don't have virtual SS, so it would be stereo and headphone setting with no Dolby headphone on. Part of the reason I'm arguing this point is because Creative had told me that BF4 has their own binaural stuff that I should turn my windows setting to 2.1 for (I was trying to find out why it wouldn't let me make windows 5.1, only to find out that it was because of the DSPs limitations.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #30,087 of 48,562
It's possible to swap the inside of TH600 with the TH900? Just curious! They are identical,right? maybe I get the TH600 and try to get the wood finish of the TH900 for it! Thanks. I also found this company! http://www.lawtonaudio.com/fostexupgradepackages.html

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #30,088 of 48,562
The drivers are different. With different magnetic resistances. Not sure what swapping would do.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #30,090 of 48,562
MLE what are your thoughts on the mids of the X2? I love the Q701 because of it's sparkly mids/treble perhaps even more so than for its soundstage. I've tried the DT 990 before which is more of a V-shaped sound and prefer the Q701 to that. Is the X2 V-shaped too? Are the mids recessed?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back