Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 1, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #30,091 of 48,566
The drivers are different. With different magnetic resistances. Not sure what swapping would do.
I was asking in general but Mostly about the Shell/Cup wood from TH900 would fit on the TH600?

For the price of Mark L.'s mods, you might as well just get a TH900! His woody cups start at $655... Not including the price of the headphone. I mean, the guy knows what he's doing, but ouch!

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #30,092 of 48,566
MLE what are your thoughts on the mids of the X2? I love the Q701 because of it's sparkly mids/treble perhaps even more so than for its soundstage. I've tried the DT 990 before which is more of a V-shaped sound and prefer the Q701 to that. Is the X2 V-shaped too? Are the mids recessed?

Thanks!

The mids are awesome on the X2. They're what I consider linear. Neither forward nor recessed, and a neutral tonality. There is no excess warmth or brightness to them. They sound basically what I consider neytrally toned in every sense of the word. Whomever said these are recessed mids are far too biased with some upfront mids, because they aren't recessed whatsoever. One of the best mids I've ever heard, without putting SPECIAL attention to them.

V-shaped would indicate that they sit lower than bass and treble, which is 100% untrue. The bass has a tilt upwards, but it doesn't detract from the mids. the treble is what I;d say dead even with the mids. So if anything, there is just a small bass hump, with the mids and treble being even with each other.

If you like mids, you'll like the X2. End of story.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #30,093 of 48,566
Yes there is. Home theater is the 5.1 solution. Your system settings MUST be at 5.1/Dolby Digital (if on console). The Mixamp and stuff like it does NOT work properly if you send it two channel audio. Hence why using the headphone option on the game is 100% WRONG. YOU MUST SEND A SPEAKER TYPE SIGNAL BECAUSE THE MIXAMP IS THEN CONVERTING THAT TO SURROUND FOR HEADPHONES.

This is probably the first part that everyone got wrong :D.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #30,094 of 48,566
yeah, people need to BURN INTO their minds that DHP/SBX/Headzone all recreate a VIRTUAL 5.1 SPEAKER ROOM so everything starts with 5.1, not headphones, not stereo. 

BF3/4 need Home Cinema. In the ini you can make changes to maximum voices at a time. I think 65 was the maximum stable amount. Don't remember how many I set. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #30,096 of 48,566
I picked up the X2's from Amazon and man are they comfortable!  Tonight I hope to fool around with some games/music and see how they really hold up.

Did I mention how comfortable they are?

Any suggestions on a good case for them?  Not that I see myself travelling with them because they are so big, but some protection would be nice just in case.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #30,097 of 48,566
Hey, if I may divert the current drift of conversation...  I'll make this question broad.  Does anyone know of good microphone solutions that will work with both PC and console?  What I'm really wishing is that there's an easy way to get a usb mic to work with an Xbox One, but I think that isn't possible.  I'm just looking for a mic around $100 or less that I can use to chat on console and PC, preferably one that I can set on a table as opposed to a modmic that you have to wear headphones with, so I can easily use it with speakers if I so choose.

BTW I suppose it's extremely difficult if at all possible to get the X2 for any less that $300?

The Blue Microphones Snowball is real nice. Or the Yeti, which is pretty much a 100. Either will do nicely for PC/PS :)
Not sure bout Xbox.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #30,098 of 48,566
The Blue Microphones Snowball is real nice. Or the Yeti, which is pretty much a 100. Either will do nicely for PC/PS
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure bout Xbox.

I can speak to the Yeti's quality. I used the Yeti Pro for recording several radio commercials in 2013. It's not the nicest mic I've owned but it's certainly less expensive than my SM7B since it can be used without an interface. But honestly for gaming purposes there's not much reason to get it over the Snowball unless you need a bidirectional pickup pattern.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #30,099 of 48,566
I can speak to the Yeti's quality. I used the Yeti Pro for recording several radio commercials in 2013. It's not the nicest mic I've owned but it's certainly less expensive than my SM7B since it can be used without an interface. But honestly for gaming purposes there's not much reason to get it over the Snowball unless you need a bidirectional pickup pattern.

Yeah, I have the regular Yeti and its nice. Gotten it for some basic V-O trial.
Thats probably my max to spend on USB mics. Next would be XLR with an interface. Much better value, the only conn is the need for phantom power interface.
The Spark Digital USB was a consideration but... Yeah, for that kind of money I think it better to go XLR.
For gaming, the Snowball is great! :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #30,100 of 48,566
Guys, guys, I'm a noob, for real. Now that I've sold the Mixamp, what's the cheap solution for ps chat? Unfortunately I forgot I only had one y cable, which I was using for my KSC35+clip on mic at work.

I guess I can just plug in the X2/Boompro to the Dualshock 4, but I doubt it's powerful enough to get a good enough volume. I could always ghetto rig the boompro to the KSC35, and use a female 3.5mm barrel from the Boompro's headphone end to the KSc35's 3.5mm input... this will look ridiculous, but I only talk during destiny anyways.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #30,101 of 48,566
Guys, guys, I'm a noob, for real. Now that I've sold the Mixamp, what's the cheap solution for ps chat? Unfortunately I forgot I only had one y cable, which I was using for my KSC35+clip on mic at work.

I guess I can just plug in the X2/Boompro to the Dualshock 4, but I doubt it's powerful enough to get a good enough volume. I could always ghetto rig the boompro to the KSC35, and use a female 3.5mm barrel from the Boompro's headphone end to the KSc35's 3.5mm input... this will look ridiculous, but I only talk during destiny anyways.

Get a Syba off Amazon for $10?

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #30,102 of 48,566
Mad, I am not a fan of your current avatar. I demand you go back to cute anime pics ASAP 
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #30,104 of 48,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back