Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #28,698 of 48,562
Yeah, it's absolutely essential for the 5.8 to have a battery pack, because it eats up batteries otherwise, and it makes stupid noises when no batteries are plugged in and you're hooked up via USB.

Unlike literally everything else out there, the Mixamp seems to drain the battery pack A LOT LESS than standard batteries, which seem to die in a few short hours.

As for power brick swap for the X7... is it really all that's needed to transfer all that extra power to the headphones/speakers? I'm QUITE skeptical about that, not to mention the difference in output impedance is also a factor. I think I'd just play it safe and buy the LE from the get go, though not sure I'd like the 1ohm output, when 2.2 was just fine.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #28,699 of 48,562
Oh, I already have a battery pack (came with the one I bought), I just wanted an extra one for when the other goes dead.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #28,700 of 48,562
Yeah, it's absolutely essential for the 5.8 to have a battery pack, because it eats up batteries otherwise, and it makes stupid noises when no batteries are plugged in and you're hooked up via USB.

Unlike literally everything else out there, the Mixamp seems to drain the battery pack A LOT LESS than standard batteries, which seem to die in a few short hours.

Yeah, it's weird, I used standard alkaline batteries and it lasted for like... 2 gaming nights, 3? I forget why I didn't use rechargable duracells, but I plugged the USB into a little phone power bank battery I have... No increase in noise there, but the battery lasted forever (less hyperbole: hours of nightly gaming, lasted over a week and I lost track).

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #28,701 of 48,562
Hi,

I currently have a pair of Creative Live Aurvana 2s, but I have a problem with how loud they make my own voice sound when I'm talking with them on (no sound is being played back through the headphones, it is my actual voice that becomes loud and boomy inside my head). It's a physical characteristic of something encompassing my ear.

To hear what I am describing, try talking whilst clasping your hands tightly over your ears, it makes your voice sound really loud and bassy (at least it does for me!), but if you let even a small bit of gap appear in the seal around your ears then your voice will start to sound much more normal.

The problem is that it makes my voice sound so loud that it drowns out the sound from the headphones, i.e. not ideal for competitive gaming or immersion in general. I tried making a bit of a hacked solution by taping part of the cup flat to create an air gap, and that improved things quite a bit, but the sound quality is adversely affected by this, presumably since the headphones weren't designed to be used like that!

Could open-back headphones be a solution for me? I was thinking of either the AD700X or the HD598. If anyone has either of those, and a pair of closed-back, full-sized, circumaural headphones (preferably the Aurvana Live 2!) could you do me a huge favour and try and see if there is any difference in how it makes your voice sound when wearing them? How do those headphones compare to the Aurvana Live 2?

Cheers,

Leon

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #28,702 of 48,562
  Hi,

I currently have a pair of Creative Live Aurvana 2s, but I have a problem with how loud they make my own voice sound when I'm talking with them on (no sound is being played back through the headphones, it is my actual voice that becomes loud and boomy inside my head). It's a physical characteristic of something encompassing my ear.

To hear what I am describing, try talking whilst clasping your hands tightly over your ears, it makes your voice sound really loud and bassy (at least it does for me!), but if you let even a small bit of gap appear in the seal around your ears then your voice will start to sound much more normal.

The problem is that it makes my voice sound so loud that it drowns out the sound from the headphones, i.e. not ideal for competitive gaming or immersion in general. I tried making a bit of a hacked solution by taping part of the cup flat to create an air gap, and that improved things quite a bit, but the sound quality is adversely affected by this, presumably since the headphones weren't designed to be used like that!

Could open-back headphones be a solution for me? I was thinking of either the AD700X or the HD598. If anyone has either of those, and a pair of closed-back, full-sized, circumaural headphones (preferably the Aurvana Live 2!) could you do me a huge favour and try and see if there is any difference in how it makes your voice sound when wearing them? How do those headphones compare to the Aurvana Live 2?

Cheers,

Leon

For gaming around that price range the DT 990 pro is a much better option. Detail is amazing from what people say and will be more comfortable than the AD700X. The HD598 is more of a music headphone rather than gaming but the DT 990 pro is more gaming than music (dont get me wrong it will sound great doing both)

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #28,703 of 48,562

For gaming around that price range the DT 990 pro is a much better option. Detail is amazing from what people say and will be more comfortable than the AD700X. The HD598 is more of a music headphone rather than gaming but the DT 990 pro is more gaming than music (dont get me wrong it will sound great doing both)

Per the guide at the beginning of this thread:

AD700 - 10/10 Competitive (Legendary)
DT990 - 8/10 Competitive (Great)
HD598 - 9.25/10 Competitive (Amazing)

I know Mad says not to directly compare ratings, I just wanted to point out that your advice doesn't seem to match up with Mad's reviews.  I haven't heard the other two, but I found the treble on the DT990 to be physically uncomfortable after about one minute of use.  The bass was epic tho...

EDIT - To answer the original question, yes an open headphone should help with your issue.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #28,705 of 48,562
Leon-Fi,
What you described is classic to closed headphones. Some options: Audio Technica AD700x, Sennheiser HD598, AKG K612... All very good, and around the $150 price.

The AD700x is the least amp picky and the lightest weight (I found the AD700 VERY COMFORTABLE after rubber-banding the headband wings together, little headband arc bending).
The AKG K612 scales up the most with better amp/DAC gear and will grow with you but may lack "life" without at least a decent amp and has a no-fuss comfort factor where it auto adjusts to your head size and the Earpads are big enough to not rest on your ears (just on your head, around the ears).
The Sennheiser HD598 is unique looking and has a sound like a German car... Not super exciting but neither boring not glaring faults,
Is also pretty light but known for a firm clamp (many still find it very comfortable long-term). I haven't heard the DT990... There's a "pro" version on sale right now (meaning quite strong clamping force, maybe a different fit and finish and sound tuning), but I have heard a DT880 which is less extreme in coloring the sound and I still found it not very neutral, you might live it but the treble made my ears hurt.

As usual, all have +/- points.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #28,706 of 48,562
So I'm in the market for a new pair of gaming headphones (~85%) that will be also be used for listening to some music (mostly electronica) and watching videos some of the time. I'm interested in the DT 990 Pros, the K701s/K702s/Q701 and the AD700s. I'm not quite sure what to get, and in the case of the DT 990s, I'm not sure if I should spring for the higher ohm versions.
The Beyerdynamics and AKGs seem to be more "fun" sounding than the AD700s which is a plus because I do occasionally use my headphones for things other than gaming. Oh yeah, the AD700s also look kind of ugly compared the BTs and AKGs.

If I do go for the DT 990 250 or 600 ohm variants, then I'd also look at getting an amp such as the Schiit Magni 2. Initially, my choice of DAC was the FiiO E10K but then I figured out that it wouldn't drive higher impedance headphones nearly as well as the Schiit would (no pun intended). If there's a good sub $100 option then I'll gladly look into it.

What do you guys think?

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #28,707 of 48,562
Get the K7XX from Massdrop

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #28,708 of 48,562
I got the monster. :)

Can't wait to go home and game with it.

For now i dont noticed any issue with the two 16 ohm iem I have try with X7.

My K702 and MA900 are in fleas by new toy. I also want to see how it behaves my new Sennheiser MX985 for gaming with SBX surround.

tE5IWr.jpg

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #28,710 of 48,562
  I am intrigued by the K7XX. When does Massdrop charge your card? Is it like Amazon where you only get charged once the drop ships in March?

No, I believe they charge when you join the drop (in this case since it's already at the lowest price). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back