Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #28,321 of 48,566
Hello everyone, new to site / forum. Let me start off by saying I'm a audio novice, but aspire to one day become a true audiophile. Over the past week I've read numerous post on gaming equipment, setups, reviews and so on.... (many of Mad Lust Envy's post also). I would like to acquire a truly amazing gaming headset / audio setup. 

Here is a general overview of my situation:
1. Console Gamer only. I game on the PS4 and XB1
2. I play pretty much every genre, but mostly shooters (BF4, Destiny, Halo, COD, and so on...)
3. I game / sit 9-10 ft. away from my TV / entertainment center

What's Important to Me:
1. Amazing Game Audio
2. Excellent Mic to communicate with team members, this is a must. I must be able to clearly chat on both consoles.
3. Must be comfortable
4. Headset / setup must work with both consoles
5. To easily and quickly be able to adjust game volume and chat volume, (independently if possible). 
6. Ease of use, and not having to constantly make adjustments to various pieces of equipment. When I game, that's what I want to do..game. I don't want to have to adjust 3 or 4 pieces of equipment to get the perfect settings for one game, to only have to change everything for another game, or when I switch consoles. 

Budget = $500 - $800 (I don't mind spending extra $$ for good quality products, that work, last, and have good warranties)

Headsets I've considered (in no particular order)
- Sennheiser G4ME One
- Sennheiser PC 363D
- Beyerdynamic (Several Versions, could use advice, which would be best)
- Philips Fidelio X1 or X2

I'm partial to the Sennheiser's because they come with a Mic, but I have no problem getting a mic for the other headsets (would need some advice on some good options)

From many of the post I've read, it appears for console gaming, the following is recommended: (please correct if I misinterpreted):
- Initally "Drive" headsets of this quality with an Astro Mixamp Pro, to add the virtual surround sound (as if a pre-amp)
- Use another external amp to power the headphones, hence a recommended setup from a Mad Lust Envy post below:

"if using a mic:
Source - Mixamp - Y cable (one end for chat, one for audio) - Mic on chat end, headphone Amp on the audio end - Headphone"

For the most part, I understand this concept. If would buy an external amp, it more than likely would be a Schiit Magni 2. This appeals to me because it's "wall / outlet" powered, and could serve me for many years, for many quality headsets. (still open to other wall powered external amps though, feel free to suggest).

Here is where my confusion begins:
1. Can I achieve what I want, from my "What's Important List?"
2. How do I adjust the game audio - volume & chat audio / volume independently for each console? 

For example on the PS4 (Let's say I'm using a Sennheiser G4ME One headset, which comes with a mic)"
a.) Do I adjust game audio via the mix amp, the external amp, or the actual volume adjustment on the headset?
b.) Same question for the chat volume?
c.) How should each device be set? (Mix Amp, external amp, Headset)
d.) Which device controls which features? (game audio, voice chat volume)

I understand for the XB1, I'll need the headset chat adapter, but that throws another wrench into the problem, because the adapter has controls for game audio, and mic audio. So I have the same four questions (a,b,c,d) for the X1, as i did for the PS4, but now with a 5th question, how do the controls on the adapter effect everything?

I'm sorry for the numerous questions guys & gals. Everything I've read and researched points me back to this site as the "Go to" place for this kind of information. Any information / help / suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I do have several fears with a setup this sophisticated:
- There will be a ton of cables and connections, I really don't want to spend all this money and time, to end up with buzzing or hissing headphones.
- Will this ultimately be user friendly and comfortable? I really don't want to have to constantly adjust numerous devices. And I really don't want a whole bunch of cables I have to constantly move and adjust, just to enjoy a gaming session. 

Once again, Thank you for any suggestions /assistance. And sorry for any misinterpretations, I'll trying to learn about this vast world of audio. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #28,323 of 48,566
@becnel51
Here,s my recent update to XB1 gaming.  If you go a back a few pages here you can see some of my most recent items on chat and getting it to work better for XB1, cant help on the PS4 side but there are plenty of others that can.  One thing to note is that I game at my desk so I dont care anything about wires and do not want anything tho do with a wireless setup!  You'll see a lot of chatter about that as well.

The Rolls is the key to get full best sounding chat.
  Hello everyone, new to site / forum. Let me start off by saying I'm a audio novice, but aspire to one day become a true audiophile. Over the past week I've read numerous post on gaming equipment, setups, reviews and so on.... (many of Mad Lust Envy's post also). I would like to acquire a truly amazing gaming headset / audio setup. 

Here is a general overview of my situation:
1. Console Gamer only. I game on the PS4 and XB1
2. I play pretty much every genre, but mostly shooters (BF4, Destiny, Halo, COD, and so on...)
3. I game / sit 9-10 ft. away from my TV / entertainment center

What's Important to Me:
1. Amazing Game Audio
2. Excellent Mic to communicate with team members, this is a must. I must be able to clearly chat on both consoles.
3. Must be comfortable
4. Headset / setup must work with both consoles
5. To easily and quickly be able to adjust game volume and chat volume, (independently if possible). 
6. Ease of use, and not having to constantly make adjustments to various pieces of equipment. When I game, that's what I want to do..game. I don't want to have to adjust 3 or 4 pieces of equipment to get the perfect settings for one game, to only have to change everything for another game, or when I switch consoles. 

Budget = $500 - $800 (I don't mind spending extra $$ for good quality products, that work, last, and have good warranties)

Headsets I've considered (in no particular order)
- Sennheiser G4ME One
- Sennheiser PC 363D
- Beyerdynamic (Several Versions, could use advice, which would be best)
- Philips Fidelio X1 or X2

I'm partial to the Sennheiser's because they come with a Mic, but I have no problem getting a mic for the other headsets (would need some advice on some good options)

From many of the post I've read, it appears for console gaming, the following is recommended: (please correct if I misinterpreted):
- Initally "Drive" headsets of this quality with an Astro Mixamp Pro, to add the virtual surround sound (as if a pre-amp)
- Use another external amp to power the headphones, hence a recommended setup from a Mad Lust Envy post below:

"if using a mic:
Source - Mixamp - Y cable (one end for chat, one for audio) - Mic on chat end, headphone Amp on the audio end - Headphone"

For the most part, I understand this concept. If would buy an external amp, it more than likely would be a Schiit Magni 2. This appeals to me because it's "wall / outlet" powered, and could serve me for many years, for many quality headsets. (still open to other wall powered external amps though, feel free to suggest).

Here is where my confusion begins:
1. Can I achieve what I want, from my "What's Important List?"
2. How do I adjust the game audio - volume & chat audio / volume independently for each console? 

For example on the PS4 (Let's say I'm using a Sennheiser G4ME One headset, which comes with a mic)"
a.) Do I adjust game audio via the mix amp, the external amp, or the actual volume adjustment on the headset?

I understand for the XB1, I'll need the headset chat adapter, but that throws another wrench into the problem, because the adapter has controls for game audio, and mic audio. So I have the same four questions (a,b,c,d) for the X1, as i did for the PS4, but now with a 5th question, how do the controls on the adapter effect everything?

I'm sorry for the numerous questions guys & gals. Everything I've read and researched points me back to this site as the "Go to" place for this kind of information. Any information / help / suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I do have several fears with a setup this sophisticated:
- There will be a ton of cables and connections, I really don't want to spend all this money and time, to end up with buzzing or hissing headphones.
- Will this ultimately be user friendly and comfortable? I really don't want to have to constantly adjust numerous devices. And I really don't want a whole bunch of cables I have to constantly move and adjust, just to enjoy a gaming session. 

Once again, Thank you for any suggestions /assistance. And sorry for any misinterpretations, I'll trying to learn about this vast world of audio. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #28,324 of 48,566
@becnel51

A lot to digest, but I'll answer what I can. Hopefully more will chime in.

First, what do you mean by "amazing game audio"? Do you want a massive soundstage and accurate positioning for God-mode competitive play? Or do you want a more immersive experience for all-around gaming? If the former, you would lose some fun factor, especially bass. If the later, you would lose some soundstage, possibly positioning accuracy in exchange for fun factor and increased bass.

I think most people here would suggest that you forget gaming headsets if you're looking for "amazing game audio". imo headphones offer better sound and more options. 

I don't have a PS4, but I do have an Xbox One. My setup is similar to what you want to achieve. Xbox One - Astro Mixamp 2014 - Schiit Magni 2 Uber - AKG K7XX - Modmic 4.0 

I'll try to answer the questions you posted, but for the Xbox One not PS4

On the Mixamp set volume to 3/4 to max. On the amp set to desired volume. No idea about a headset.

Adjust chat volume to your liking. When set all the way to game the amp is giving game audio max power, you can't hear chat. If set all the way to chat, the opposite. Unfortunately, I find that with the Xbox One that in order to hear people properly the game/chat knob has to be set at 2-3 o'clock. As a result you lose a lot of the Mixamp's power for game audio, which is why an additional amp is suggested for headphones that are harder to drive. 

Not sure what you mean. Question seems redundant to a) and b). 

The Mixamp controls overall volume and game/chat balance. The amp controls overall volume. Once you set the Mixamp to 3/4 to max volume only use the amp to control volume. 

For the Xbox One chat adapter I max the volume by pressing "+" until I hear a beep. I keep pressing the party chat icon (person) until I hear a beep. I tried increasing game volume (controller icon) on the adapter, but I didn't like the sound quality. 

Since I only have my setup connected to one console I'm not quite sure how you want it setup for two consoles. The options I see are to unplug the usb and optical connection from the back of the Mixamp (assuming you have two sets of usb and optical cables) each time you switch consoles or get a switch or splitter. I'm not familiar with which switch to get. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #28,325 of 48,566
@Styles, wow thank you very much. I wouldn't have considered the Rolls MX22. I'll take a look those previous posts.

@High Fidelity, Thanks for the quick reply. To honestly answer your question:
"First, what do you mean by "amazing game audio"? Do you want a massive soundstage and accurate positioning for God-mode competitive play? Or do you want a more immersive experience for all-around gaming?"
I would definitely say, More Immersive Experience for all-around gaming. I tend to play more shooters, but at the end of the day, I'm a gamer, so eventually I play a little bit of everything. Am I considering the right headphones for this?

@High Fidelity, in regards to: "I'm not quite sure how you want it setup for two consoles."
My thoughts were to extend all connections to the Mixamp, Via a couple devices: (I have a coffee table right next to where I sit to game)
1. ViewHD SPDIF / Toslink 4X2 (it has IR controls, so I was going to program my Universal Remote to control it)
2. Longer cables: 
   -  Basically a longer Toslink to Mini-Toslink cable from the Switcher to the Mixamp
   -  Then a longer USB to Micro from the console to the Mixamp. (For power to Mixamp, and I believe the PS4 handles chat via USB). My thoughts were to leave my PS4 in Rest / Standby mode, where it gives power to the USB ports. Therefore I wouldn't have to switch USB ports, when I switch consoles. 
   -  If I couldn't find a long enough USB to Micro, or it caused problems, I considered a USB active extension cable with a USB to Micro Adapter

I believe that would handle all my connections to extend the Mixamp, and allow the Mixamp and the rest of the equipment to be right next to me. More than likely, I would run these wires via a wall channel along the baseboard, so I don't have wires in the middle of the floor.

Here is the delimma, I'm going to bad a Dad soon. So my days of cranking up the 7.1 surround sound system, will have to be put on hold for a while (And no, I can not relocate my entire gaming setup, I've actually consider this, but it's just not feasible). But, I don't want to lose that amazing audio while I game (You guys have a thread for that "Help Gaming Dads keep their Amazing Audio?") So, I feel like I have two options:
Option 1. Nice headphone setup via the advice of everyone at Head-fi
Option 2. Go completely wireless (I know everyone here, is going to kill me for typing that, Sorry everyone, just being honest)

Option 1: Will probably equal numerous devices (Headphones, external mic, Astro Mixamp, Additional amp, possible Rolls MX22 MiniMix, and lots of cables and wires to contend with). I should be able to get amazing audio, but at $$
Option 2: Probably won't give me the level of audio I desire, but will work out of the box with both consoles, and I won't have a ton of cables and wires to contend with. Should cost less than the first option. (Via something like Astro A50s, Steelseries H, SkullCandy PLYR 1, or Turtle Beach 800). 

Once again, sorry for mentioning the wireless option on this site /forum, but I'm being completely honest with everyone. I'm not sure if this information makes it easier or harder to advise on my situation, but all input is welcomed and appreciated. I've never had to consider these things, as I've always gamed via surround sound.
Anyway, Thanks to everyone. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #28,326 of 48,566
@becnel51 

If you haven't already read it, there is a long list of reviews on page 1 of this thread. Provides info on what headphones/headsets are more fun, immersive vs more competitive, and in between. Mad Lust Envy mentioned posting his Fidelio X2 review soon so that may help. He's really high on the X2 as a great all-arounder. 

If I didn't get the AKG K7XX I would be looking really hard at the AKG Q701 if I was focused more on competitive and the X2 for all-around gaming. I'm not familiar with the Sennheisers you mentioned nor the Beyerdynamics. 

To throw another wrench into the works, with your stated budget, take a look at the Creative Sound Blaster X7. It's a highly functional DAC and amp in one unit. Would take the place of the Astro Mixamp and additional amp. It was just released so the few people here that have it are figuring out how to optimally set it up for the PS4 and Xbox One with chat functionality. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #28,328 of 48,566
HiFiMAN RE0 seems to be unavailable. Is their a newer model or replacement and is it similar?

Well, there are the RE-300, RE-400, RE-600 and the upcoming RE-1000.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #28,329 of 48,566
I'm curious if there are any worthwhile upgrades to the HD 555 for gaming around the $100-200 price range.

They really only stand out for music and are just nothing short of average when I watch videos or game with them, at least in my opinion.

If I could have that same music listening experience along with better sound for gaming, then that would be ideal.

If anyone has any recommendations, then that would be great. 

I've looked at the DT-990 Pro and am unsure about those. I also have a FiiO E07K amp/DAC that I drive the HD 555 with.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #28,333 of 48,566
Hey, im having trouble deciding on what headphones to get.
I play COD on the PS4 mostly, and then games such as Counter Strike and League of Legends on the PC. Im currently looking at spending up to £150 on very nice headphones, and then getting the Mod Mic aswell. I have currently been looking at getting the Beyerdynamic DT-990, or Beyerdynamic DT 770, or the Sennheiser HD 518s or the 558s. I am open to other options, just want to try get the best out of gaming. And i am also wondering whether i would need to get a mixamp or not, and which you would recommend for the particular headphones? What type of setup would i have to go for to get the best audio?

Edit: Looking more for competitive gaming side, rather than immersive.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #28,334 of 48,566
Thanks for this amazingly informative post!  It played a huge role in my headphone purchase decision (K721 vs. Philips Fidelio, ultimately settling on Fidelio! 
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Now comes the question of an amp. My main setup is taken care of, with everything running through a Marantz receiver.  I just need an amp for my secondary gaming rig, which I use exclusively for "old school" consoles (PS1 and older).  So I just need something that can take stereo RCA output from a basic switch, and let me plug in my headphones with some volume control.  I wouldn't need any USB connectivity or simulated surround processing.  Could anyone recommend a good simple solution for this?  A lot of the stuff I've seen online has way more bells and whistles than I need.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #28,335 of 48,566
  Thanks for this amazingly informative post!  It played a huge role in my headphone purchase decision (K721 vs. Philips Fidelio, ultimately settling on Fidelio! 
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Now comes the question of an amp. My main setup is taken care of, with everything running through a Marantz receiver.  I just need an amp for my secondary gaming rig, which I use exclusively for "old school" consoles (PS1 and older).  So I just need something I can take stereo RCA output from a basic switch, and let me plug in my headphones with some volume control.  Don't need any USB connectivity or simulated surround processing.  Could anyone recommend a good simple solution for this?

\Any of the non-portable amps listed at the beginning of the guide will work fine:  E09k, O2, Magni, Vali, etc.  Even the portable ones will work with a RCA->1/8" cable (E12, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Jcor
Back