Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #27,287 of 48,583
First of all Happy Thanksgiving weekend to everybody from little old me in the UK.

I looked at the set up on the first page but wanted to ask an astro mixamp set up question.

I want to achieve sound from the ps4 to my headphones some of the time but mostly I want the sound to still come out of my Pioneer av receiver.

Am I right thinking it will be a quick swap in the ps4 settings to change audio from hdmi to optical. The bit I'm stuck with is how to connect the headphones to the mixamp.

I'm after the X2s and would use the boompro for a mic. Do I just run the wire from the boompro into headphone socket of the mixamp?

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #27,288 of 48,583
I'm looking for a headset (indifferent to open or closed). I've come up with a list based on reviews and what's been mentioned in this thread. What would you suggest is 1. the best quality headset and 2. which is the best bang-for-buck. If you have other suggestions I am open to them (preferably under $160~).

Turtle Beach EarForce Z300
Turtle Beach EarForce Z60 
Sennheiser PC 232D 
Sennheiser PC 333D 
Kingston HyperX Cloud 
Audio-Technica ATH-770COM 

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #27,290 of 48,583
Hey guys, This is OT but,
Could anyone willing to act as a proxy for us international buyers in the K7XX Massdrop deal please shoot me a PM?
I'd like to snatch one, eventually and I'd like to know the kind souls who'd be willing to make that possible for us 'US outsiders', now that the deal is no more for us....
Thanks and cheers :]

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #27,291 of 48,583
Hey guys, This is OT but,
Could anyone willing to act as a proxy for us international buyers in the K7XX Massdrop deal please shoot me a PM?
I'd like to snatch one, eventually and I'd like to know the kind souls who'd be willing to make that possible for us 'US outsiders', now that the deal is no more for us....
Thanks and cheers :]

Are you talking about for the next drop?

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #27,292 of 48,583
Are you talking about for the next drop?

Yep, the next drop 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #27,293 of 48,583
it already is the next drop lol

well so far about 2200 have been sold and the drop ends in 4 days...I doubt they are going to reach those 4000 in 4 days. Some have actually pulled out of the drop because of this no international shipping.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #27,294 of 48,583
Anyone thinking about getting an Xbox One, Microsoft Store is selling a refurb with Kinect and 3 games for $329.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #27,296 of 48,583
Mixamp 2011 version (the one without the EQ settings).

As for the person who asked for a fun, immersive, quality headphone with comfort for 8hrs, just get the X2. Its solid. If you dont plan to use a mic, the K7XX from massdrop for 200 is definitely going to be something I wholeheartedly recommend. With those two headphones, the 200-300 range is very much covered for open headphones, imho.

Yes I havent heard the K7XX, but all signs point to it sounding like the Annie or K712, which are among my top faves in the 350+ range, and considering its 200 dollars, is an absolute no brainer.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #27,297 of 48,583
How about the he400i? Anyone have experience gaming and/or movies on that? As opposed to the x2 that is.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #27,298 of 48,583
I haven't heard the 400i yet. I'm sure I'd love it, but I feel that the 400 with shure 1540 pads would be more ideal for stuff like movies and fun gaming. I hear quite a few people being disappointed with the 400i's bass.To put it into perspective, Ifeel the X2's bass is quite close to the 400 in presence (obviously not in the sub bass, though the X2 has plenty of energy down to 40hz). I dont think having less bass impact than that is ideal for my taste.

Not to say I wouldnt enjoy the 400i. I enjoy all manner of headphones, even ones with polite bass like the T70.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #27,299 of 48,583
Just got the Schiit Vali shipped to me on loan.

First thing I noticed, was.... HOLY MICROPHONICS BATMAN. I mean, i KNEW before it arrived that it's a tad bit microphonic. Just brushing the Vali with your fingers will cause some ringing for a few minutes. Word of advice; DO NOT TOUCH THE VALI OTHER THAN ADJUSTING THE VOLUME.

Just want to say that it sounds SO beautiful, even with the low impedance X2. Something magical about tubes. I'm beginning to understand why people love them. I still prefer SS for the worry free use, but considering the life of the Vali's tubes are basically way too long to worry about it (10,000-20,000 hours), i figured it'd at least be worth looking into.

Just based off early impressions, I can EASILY say that I prefer over the Magni which I felt was a tad bit too dry for my taste. The Vali just sounds...natural.

I'll have to A/b between the E17 and the Vali to see just how different it is, but so far, the Vali sounds sublime. Even the microphonics are easily overlooked when hearing the Vali.

Just saying, my fellow Head-Fi'er @bunnynamedfrank also got a Vali, I got to hear it too and it sounded way close to my tube amp that was 2x the price (not quite as quiet or soundstage depth). I had an Amperex tube (the famous Bugle Boy) which had noticible microphonics and after a few months I just was happier to use my Voskhod, and BNF's Vali recently broke or something. I think normally you'll be fine, but if you need repairs you have to pay shipping.

I feel like Creative's E3 and E5 will be viable alternatives to FiiO's E17, the E5 has an optical input too (for stereo) but when you have it connected to a PC it does SBX surround. The E3 loses the optical input, but still has most of the other benefits. Creative stuff on Black Friday sale right now.

First of all Happy Thanksgiving weekend to everybody from little old me in the UK.

I looked at the set up on the first page but wanted to ask an astro mixamp set up question.

I want to achieve sound from the ps4 to my headphones some of the time but mostly I want the sound to still come out of my Pioneer av receiver.

Am I right thinking it will be a quick swap in the ps4 settings to change audio from hdmi to optical. The bit I'm stuck with is how to connect the headphones to the mixamp.

I'm after the X2s and would use the boompro for a mic. Do I just run the wire from the boompro into headphone socket of the mixamp?

Thanks, happy Thanksgiving to you too, just be happy and appreciate the things in life :) I love this holiday, because it's about sharing and the spirit of building bridges, and no matter a person's faith I can wholeheartedly wish them a happy holiday earnestly and it'll be taken at face value. And even though you're in the UK, I'd like to extend a "thank you!" for being a part of the community :)

When you choose optical as the primary output, audio is still simultaneously sent over HDMI too, so that solves your Pioneer receiver question. You don't even have to adjust settings.

The BoomPro would plug into the Mixamp, just have the USB plugged into the PS4 and the console will label the Mixamp as a "USB MICROPHONE" while also sending it game audio over optical :)

Overall, easy questions and no worries mate :D

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #27,300 of 48,583
I think the 400i is a great headphone for gaming. It doesn't have the largest soundstage but it handles positional queues decently. Performing the grill mod on them improves soundstage a small amount and increases separation which helps with imaging. The somewhat tamed bass (next to the 400) actually helps in competitive gaming. It's definitely a good buy for gaming if you're looking for planars.

After a night with the HD 700 I will say that I absolutely adore Hiromi through them (running out of my GO SE) and they perform well in games where positional queues are nearly non-existent. Hoping to get some time tomorrow to test with more gaming. So far I haven't run into any fatigue in the treble like I did in the past, which simply means the music I've been playing has either been at a low enough volume where I didn't notice or didn't play a lot in that frequency range. And that comfort... oh man that comfort...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back