Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #26,986 of 48,562
  I'm super excited. I finally pulled the trigger on a Mixamp 5.8 on eBay. Couldn't duplicate the $40, but I got one for $50 so I'm happy. Now I'm wondering what else I need, including a mic solution, to make this work with my Q701s, X-Box One and PS4 (in the future). I know I need the X-Box One chat adapter and I haven't purchased my amp yet (going with FiiO E11 or E12), but I'm not sure what else I need to make this work. Thanks in advance for any response.

Congrats, that's a nice deal.  I have a Mixamp 5.8, Xbox One, Q701 and E11 for my setup as well.  You won't always need the E11, only if you're chatting.  

It looks like you have almost everything you need.  Seem to be missing a 2.5mm cable for connecting the receiver to your controller.  And you'll need a short 3.5mm cable to daisy chain your E11 in.

For a mic, I just use the Neewer/HDE mics from Amazon.  They're like $6 for a pack of 5.  It's a coin flip if they'll be working, but you can usually get 2-4 good ones out of a pack of 5.  If you want something more reliable, there are things like the Modmic, but they cost WAY more.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #26,987 of 48,562
Just looked in the sale forum and there is a E12DIY, is this worth the price increase over the E12 Mont Blanc? Which E12 is better (didn't realize there was a second version until now). There is also a sale on a Fiio E11 for $35. Decisions, decisions. Please help.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #26,988 of 48,562
  Just looked in the sale forum and there is a E12DIY, is this worth the price increase over the E12 Mont Blanc? Which E12 is better (didn't realize there was a second version until now). There is also a sale on a Fiio E11 for $35. Decisions, decisions. Please help.
biggrin.gif

You don't need the E12 for the Q701 on the Xbox/PS.  It is better than the E11, for sure.  But not needed.  

As you can see, I had the same choice and chose the E11.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #26,989 of 48,562

You don't need the E12 for the Q701 on the Xbox/PS.  It is better than the E11, for sure.  But not needed.  

I believe the E12 was recommended, by you I believe, because I needed a solution that was portable and could be used with the Mixamp 5.8 and with a desktop setup on pc. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll message you the quote if you don't mind.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #26,990 of 48,562

I believe the E12 was recommended, by you I believe, because I needed a solution that was portable and could be used with the Mixamp 5.8 and with a desktop setup on pc. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll message you the quote if you don't mind.

Who knows, maybe the context of your question was different before.  Either way, I stand by my statement that you don't need the E12, though it is better.  I really don't particularly care what you get so if you want to get the E12, go for it.  I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #26,991 of 48,562

Who knows, maybe the context of your question was different before.  Either way, I stand by my statement that you don't need the E12, though it is better.  I really don't particularly care what you get so if you want to get the E12, go for it.  I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Awesome, I'll go with the E11 for now. Have you ever tried the K712 or K702 annies with your E11? I'm just asking because I plan on upgrading to one of those in the future and I'm trying to keep amp in mind. Thanks again Still. You have been awesome since I joined the forums. I have learned so much, but still have a ton to learn.

Edit: Nevermind, you answered what I needed to know in the PM.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #26,992 of 48,562

Awesome, I'll go with the E11 for now. Have you ever tried the K712 or K702 annies with your E11? I'm just asking because I plan on upgrading to one of those in the future and I'm trying to keep amp in mind. Thanks again Still. You have been awesome since I joined the forums. I have learned so much, but still have a ton to learn.

I haven't tried them, no.  However, the power needs of those cans shouldn't be materially different from that of the Q701.  The E11 should be good enough for the console gaming.  You'll want something much better to do them justice for music tho.

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #26,993 of 48,562

I haven't tried them, no.  However, the power needs of those cans shouldn't be materially different from that of the Q701.  The E11 should be good enough for the console gaming.  You'll want something much better to do them justice for music tho.

Yea, for music I'll be going with the SB Omni and Vali combo. I think that should take care of my needs, as well as, future proof me for awhile. Well, at lease until I get the upgrade itis I'm sure I'll get at some point.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #26,995 of 48,562

so are you saying that the e11 will give you good sound quality if paired with q701? I wonder how soundstage is affected when using an e11 and compared to an e12. I have an e11 and Im wondering about this....since im planning on jumping into purchasing an akg k712...

But im also considering buying a tube amp down the road...

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #26,996 of 48,562
Astro Mix amp Quesiton: 
In game some games let you choose audio type. 
Should I select headphone or surround sound (IN GAME). I know it just changes the in-game mix/effect levels (actually it may only change dynamic/compression level as noted by some games like Last of Us Remastered). But how does it effect the Dolby headphone effect on the mix amp?  

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #26,997 of 48,562
  Astro Mix amp Quesiton: 
In game some games let you choose audio type. 
Should I select headphone or surround sound (IN GAME). I know it just changes the in-game mix/effect levels (actually it may only change dynamic/compression level as noted by some games like Last of Us Remastered). But how does it effect the Dolby headphone effect on the mix amp?  

The "headphone" setting does a downmix of the surround data to 2 channels (probably with a bit of processing for things like crossfeed, but most likely not any HRTF). If you send that into your MixAmp with Dolby Headphone on, all DH will do is apply its spatialization to the 2 channels, which is probably not what you want. You want surround channels going into the MixAmp, so it can get you front/back localization from them as well, so set the game to surround sound.

Note also that MixAmp (well, mine at least) expects Dolby Digital format, not DTS and not DD+. Your software/hardware need to be able to mix these to DD.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #26,998 of 48,562

The "headphone" setting does a downmix of the surround data to 2 channels (probably with a bit of processing for things like crossfeed, but most likely not any HRTF). If you send that into your MixAmp with Dolby Headphone on, all DH will do is apply its spatialization to the 2 channels, which is probably not what you want. You want surround channels going into the MixAmp, so it can get you front/back localization from them as well, so set the game to surround sound.

Note also that MixAmp (well, mine at least) expects Dolby Digital format, not DTS and not DD+. Your software/hardware need to be able to mix these to DD.

Yeah..... but most games do not give you the choice between DD, DTS, and DD+. 
Honestly from what I have experienced in the in game menus, the choices between TV/headphone/surround simply change the dynamic mixing (range) of the output. Not the number of channels. 
I could be totaly wrong. But I don't think I am. 

Where I am confused is... what is the defult output of a game vs console. If we have our PS4/PS3/360/Xbone set to PCM out doesn't it always output surround sound output which our mix amp uses to give us Dobly Headphone sound? My point being is that in-game settings shouldn't change the multi channel output of the console, right? 

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #26,999 of 48,562
  Yeah..... but most games do not give you the choice between DD, DTS, and DD+. 
Honestly from what I have experienced in the in game menus, the choices between TV/headphone/surround simply change the dynamic mixing (range) of the output. Not the number of channels. 
I could be totaly wrong. But I don't think I am. 

Where I am confused is... what is the defult output of a game vs console. If we have our PS4/PS3/360/Xbone set to PCM out doesn't it always output surround sound output which our mix amp uses to give us Dobly Headphone sound? My point being is that in-game settings shouldn't change the multi channel output of the console, right? 

By software/hardware I meant the console and/or any amp you might be sending output to. You're right in that most games have at most 2 modes: stereo (including headphone) and surround, but choosing one of the stereo options will definitely not get you all the channels sent out. The console can still encode the 2 channels into a multichannel signal, but the surround and LFE channels won't have any data and thus won't be any use to the MixAmp. For the MixAmp you want your console outputting DD 5.1-7.1, and the games set to deliver surround signals to the console.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #27,000 of 48,562

By software/hardware I meant the console and/or any amp you might be sending output to. You're right in that most games have at most 2 modes: stereo (including headphone) and surround, but choosing one of the stereo options will definitely not get you all the channels sent out. The console can still encode the 2 channels into a multichannel signal, but the surround and LFE channels won't have any data and thus won't be any use to the MixAmp. For the MixAmp you want your console outputting DD 5.1-7.1, and the games set to deliver surround signals to the console.

Don't take this the wrong way... but I am not sure you know what you are talking about. 
What console gives you a chose of 5.1 or 7.1 choice?
please take screen shots with you phone or whatever and post here so I know what you are talking about. 
I have Sony and Microsoft consoles. They simply ask you PCM/HDMI, etc. 
No console, next gen or otherwise has 7.1. Plain and simple. that is fact. 

I am trying to be subtle about it.... but I don't think you understand what I am asking. I am 99.5% sure when a game asks you choose between TV/Surround/headphone it is merely asking you to choose the dynamic level of the mixing you desire. I just want to make sure this is the consensus.
On TV speakers you are not going to be able to ascertain nearly the same level of dynamic sound level as you can from a hi-fi speaker system, and the headphones tend to be able to allow the highest dynamic range of any avalive options. 

I am simply looking for verification on this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back