Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #26,446 of 48,563
I am very interested in this since my mixamp just took a dump and astro doesn't want to support mixamp users. Lost a lot of faith in them. 

Thanks for posting this Evs.

Yeah, I bought a brand new A30 + Mixamp 5.8 bundle a while back from the Micro$oft store, good price but I loaned it to a friend who said the PS3 chat cable was DOA. Of course Astro stopped selling or supporting this cable before I got the bundle, but at least the MxAmp5.8 works as well as can be expected. I will say that they fixed the A30 that (on arrival) had the driver unmounted to the earcup, for free, pretty quickly, so I was happy about that (about the best functional result I could hope for) but somehow during the repair they deleted my product registration (how does that even happen?).

Creative support articles online can help with most general questions, but finding answers to specific things is kinda up to luck. I had someone emailing me and helping me with the Omni, support isn't perfect but OK for me. I'd hope that they have more premier tech support for a premier product like the X7.

Early December 2014

WOOT! Just enough time to save up/sell extra gear...

December is official :popcorn:

Shweet!

This is bound to lead to a fight. Though there are way to many AKG users on this post so it would probably sway that way. Though I would personally disagree and say the MA900.
Ah, I'd actually agree with you, the MA900 actually had a great combo of depth and imaging. I'd still pick an AKG as my "only" headphone because it's nearly as good and easily more engaging to listen to, better all-rounder use (music & gaming) headphones.

I didn't have the chance to compare the AD700 and MA900 side-by-side (and the original question didn't mention the AD700), but I was left with very similar impressions of the soundstage and imaging on each.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #26,447 of 48,563
Is the mixamp pro + pc360 still close to the best option for surround on the xbone?

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #26,449 of 48,563
something interesting just happened to my Mixamp and PS4
there's no mic plugged in (I removed the Boompro)...

the PS4 pops up the voice command dialog box (only happens if the command PlayStation is said) - guess there's something really off with my Mixamp unit

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #26,450 of 48,563
Seems like Q701 is the new king in this thread

Lol, new.

I have recommended the Q701 the most since before I even came to Head-fi. The very first form of this guide was on Avsforum, back when I had almost nothing written about the headphones, save for a few lines. :D

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #26,451 of 48,563
well, the Q was a crown I couldn't even wear as long as Jesus could

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #26,452 of 48,563
Yeah, I bought a brand new A30 + Mixamp 5.8 bundle a while back from the Micro$oft store, good price but I loaned it to a friend who said the PS3 chat cable was DOA. Of course Astro stopped selling or supporting this cable before I got the bundle, but at least the MxAmp5.8 works as well as can be expected. I will say that they fixed the A30 that (on arrival) had the driver unmounted to the earcup, for free, pretty quickly, so I was happy about that (about the best functional result I could hope for) but somehow during the repair they deleted my product registration (how does that even happen?).

Creative support articles online can help with most general questions, but finding answers to specific things is kinda up to luck. I had someone emailing me and helping me with the Omni, support isn't perfect but OK for me. I'd hope that they have more premier tech support for a premier product like the X7.

Shweet!

Ah, I'd actually agree with you, the MA900 actually had a great combo of depth and imaging. I'd still pick an AKG as my "only" headphone because it's nearly as good and easily more engaging to listen to, better all-rounder use (music & gaming) headphones.

I didn't have the chance to compare the AD700 and MA900 side-by-side (and the original question didn't mention the AD700), but I was left with very similar impressions of the soundstage and imaging on each.

what amp do you use for your akg q701 if i may ask?

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #26,455 of 48,563
Why, when the x1 can easily take the Boompro...

In fact, if i have to guess, i would PROBABLY be ecstatic about the X2/Boompro combo.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #26,457 of 48,563
Might need to attach an amp to the headphone jack of the Wii u controller. I dunno if the Wii U allows video through HDMI while sending audio through it's video out. I'd attach a headphone amp to the video out cable. Should be the cleanest audio signal out of the Wii U.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #26,458 of 48,563
Might need to attach an amp to the headphone jack of the Wii u controller. I dunno if the Wii U allows video through HDMI while sending audio through it's video out. I'd attach a headphone amp to the video out cable. Should be the cleanest audio signal out of the Wii U.

thanks! seems like with a recent firmware update, the WiiU allows multiple audio out (both AV+HDMI)
guess I'll go look for an amp that allows for that.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #26,459 of 48,563
Any amp will. Just attach the video out cables from the Wii U to the amp's analog inputs. You may need an RCA to 3.5mm adapter for portable amps that don't have RCA inputs.

Not sure if you gain any benefit from using a virtual surround amp. Is the Wii U like the Wii in that it has Pro logic II?

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #26,460 of 48,563

Shweet!

what amp do you use for your akg q701 if i may ask?

I use the mixamp pro > schiit vali goes nice with the q701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back