Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #26,476 of 48,566
I have the anniversary AKGs, actually bought them off of MLE about 1.5 years ago. I'm wanting to get something with a bit more warmness. The annies are fantastic, but I just am craving something else. I think you'll likely love them. Let me know what you decide on.

HD650
HE500
LCD2?

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #26,477 of 48,566

This is my set up atm.

This setup works beautifully, however sound quality is still not at its max considering the wireless 5.8 mixamp.
I am waiting on the 2013 Mixamp Pro to come in the mail, heard the 2014 Mixamp pro makeover has less soundstage and is a marketing scam.
Later i will be heatstrinking the wires of my microphone and headphone together once i obtain the stuff, but here is my setup atm. 

The Q701 is beautiful i must say, completely destroys the a40s + 5.8 mixamp completely. 

The only true con i find with these headphones is the headband, when i first bought these headphones, the headband hurt my head pretty bad, but now i can handle it and it feels great. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #26,479 of 48,566
Hey MLE, long time. I'm looking for something with just a bit more bass response, even though the annies are awesome. I want a tad more. /shrug

My experience with Sennheiser is that while good, they are extremely technical, and not very fun. Are the hd600/650/700 different?

The HD 600 and HD 650 are what I personally call lush and rich sounding. The HD 700 is quite technical. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #26,481 of 48,566

This is my set up atm.

This setup works beautifully, however sound quality is still not at its max considering the wireless 5.8 mixamp.
I am waiting on the 2013 Mixamp Pro to come in the mail, heard the 2014 Mixamp pro makeover has less soundstage and is a marketing scam.
Later i will be heatstrinking the wires of my microphone and headphone together once i obtain the stuff, but here is my setup atm. 

The Q701 is beautiful i must say, completely destroys the a40s + 5.8 mixamp completely. 

The only true con i find with these headphones is the headband, when i first bought these headphones, the headband hurt my head pretty bad, but now i can handle it and it feels great. 

Nice. Are you happy with your Fiio? I am not sure, if I should take this one or a Schiit Vali (which costs 40-50 € more in Europe).
You can fix your headband by cutting three stripes of an PC Isolation mat and put it between the gaps.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #26,482 of 48,566
So, the only thing that's changed about the new mixamp are the white stripes under the balance knob? That's disappointing.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #26,483 of 48,566
X7 will cost 399€ here in Europe, the Mixamp is 129€, almost half the price. Yet from the pure specs and expected performance (I have the SB ZxR which features practically the same ingredients as the X7) the Astro Mixamp is heavily overpriced. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #26,484 of 48,566
  X7 will cost 399€ here in Europe, the Mixamp is 129€, almost half the price. Yet from the pure specs and expected performance (I have the SB ZxR which features practically the same ingredients as the X7) the Astro Mixamp is heavily overpriced. 

More like quarter of the price + shipping. Yes, the X7 is awesome and can do almost everything but it costs about the same as the PS4 I would connect it too. Also there is a new product called Mixamp m80, which by the looks ofit connects straigh to the xbox one controller through the proprietary ms port.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #26,485 of 48,566
Wait for the price drop. I'm not buying it for the 399€ either. 

I can tell you from my experience with the ZxR that you'll also have plenty of fun with a headphone like HD 800. Can't say that about a lot "gaming" devices - driving the HD 800 to a good level. The Opamp of the ZxR and the X7 is an euphonic one. Punchy, plenty of impact, it's not reference grade but we're talking about a high level here where the Mixamp is already worlds behind..

The ZxR is less clean than my DAC/AMP and has lesser resolution and will be a bit harsher in the highs, slighty lesser in the soundstage with it but it still renders the soundstage very well, and it punches and impacts with excitement (and costs a quater of it). Games and Movies are a f.......blast.

The X7 having its own PSU should sound better and cleaner than the ZxR. Plus you can connect it to your PC and enjoy all SBX features through USB. 

Ac3 only hurts a bit though....

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #26,486 of 48,566
  Nice. Are you happy with your Fiio? I am not sure, if I should take this one or a Schiit Vali (which costs 40-50 € more in Europe).
You can fix your headband by cutting three stripes of an PC Isolation mat and put it between the gaps.

FiiO E09K Review.
Requires an audio component to auxilary 3.55m to to be compatible with most devices
If your headphones does not come with an adapter, you will need to obtain one that looks like this

I have used this device on my monitor and tv as it boosts the sound too. 

This device has a (Gain) switch which greatly increases the sound output. (Which really powers my headphones to its fullest) 

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #26,487 of 48,566
  So, the only thing that's changed about the new mixamp are the white stripes under the balance knob? That's disappointing.

there have been reviews that the new mixamp is actually worse and is just a marketing scam, the old one has a bigger sound stage someone was claiming on the FB page of astro gaming. i didnt want to take the chances if it was true so im sticking with the 2013 edition. I also hear (rumor) that the real updated new line won't be seen till 2016. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #26,488 of 48,566

Does the X7 do the same thing as the Mixamp (connects to the ps4 and decodes 7.1 surround?)

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #26,489 of 48,566
  there have been reviews that the new mixamp is actually worse and is just a marketing scam, the old one has a bigger sound stage someone was claiming on the FB page of astro gaming. i didnt want to take the chances if it was true so im sticking with the 2013 edition. I also hear (rumor) that the real updated new line won't be seen till 2016. 

Hopefully with HDMI and LPCM 7.1 decoding. And an acceptable DAC and amp sections.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #26,490 of 48,566
  Does the X7 do the same thing as the Mixamp (connects to the ps4 and decodes 7.1 surround?)

It does that and a thousand other things better than the mixamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back