Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #26,358 of 48,562
  I just got this guy in the mail....sounds amazing, very comfortable and has a condenser Mic...you guys should check it out..

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-MMX-Multimedia-Digital-Microphone/dp/B001BYOY42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412094652&sr=8-1&keywords=mmx+2

Wow that is a cheap headset, on the German Amazon it's only 58 euros :O Does it work with PS4 in combination with the Mixamp? 

Quote:
Looks comfy. On ear or over ear?

In the description it says "Supraaural (on-the-ear)" so it's on ear I think. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #26,359 of 48,562
  Wow that is a cheap headset, on the German Amazon it's only 58 euros :O Does it work with PS4 in combination with the Mixamp? 
In the description it says "Supraaural (on-the-ear)" so it's on ear I think. 

You need the Y-Adapter for it .... 

http://www.astrogaming.com/headset-y-adapter/3ACBL-HBM9U-760.html#start=1

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #26,361 of 48,562
so I decided to contact Astro about the Mixamp being too loud on the mic output on my PS4 and the Boompro. I have already adjusted the volume to the lowest on the PS4 but it is still the same.

Astro basically said there's nothing they can do since the Boompro is not supported. So what exactly is wrong here?

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #26,362 of 48,562
so I decided to contact Astro about the Mixamp being too loud on the mic output on my PS4 and the Boompro. I have already adjusted the volume to the lowest on the PS4 but it is still the same.

Astro basically said there's nothing they can do since the Boompro is not supported. So what exactly is wrong here?

It's the mic then. It's too sensitive. All the Mixamp does is take the signal. It doesn't have any control of loudness for the mic. Maybe try plugging it into the ps4 controller? I think there's a way to use headphones with the Mixamp and mic into the controller if I recall.

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #26,363 of 48,562
Have had the Q701s for a bit. I wanted a wide open sounding headphone with good detail to hear every but if my game. I found the Qs too small in stage when it comes to depth. Left I right was really wide but it didn't sound realistic because of the small depth!

Will the HD598 do a better job here?

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #26,364 of 48,562
It's the mic then. It's too sensitive. All the Mixamp does is take the signal. It doesn't have any control of loudness for the mic. Maybe try plugging it into the ps4 controller? I think there's a way to use headphones with the Mixamp and mic into the controller if I recall.

it works perfectly fine via the PS4 controller though. or is the mic actually faulty? I'm getting random static shocks when the mic brushes my cheek.

was hoping to use the Mixamp for its mixer... but welp

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #26,365 of 48,562
I have the Q701 since Monday and the 598 since two years, so it is still difficult to compare them.
At the moment I would say, that the Q701 manages better to  make a circle of sounds around you, especially it is the first Headphone, that simulates the "center" speaker very good. In my opinion the 598 has a little gap in front of you.
The "rear" is extremely good.
The objects are closer with the Q701 than with the 598. The 598 sound more airy.
At the moment I can not say, which one is better. The Q701 is running all day long with my MP3 player to burn in, when I am not at home, but as far as I know it will take a lot of hours to sound best.
The Quality of the Sound is already a little bit better with the Q701.
Q701 Bass is good (as everywhere mentioned: "When there is real bass."), better than I thought. Somehow I feel, that the highs at higher volumes don`t kill my ear. For example: Firing a AN-94 in COD BO2 with high volume. This was painful with my other Headphones. I compared it and yes, it was not that harsh and I had not the feeling, that something is missing. It just seems right. That was the first thing I noticed.

In comfort is the 598 the best Headphone I own (in my opinion better than the famous Sony MDR MA900), but with some added foam to the headband of the Q701 is it good too. The ear pads are getting hotter than the 598s, but still much better than any leather ear pad.
The 598 is much easier to amp.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #26,366 of 48,562
Have had the Q701s for a bit. I wanted a wide open sounding headphone with good detail to hear every but if my game. I found the Qs too small in stage when it comes to depth. Left I right was really wide but it didn't sound realistic because of the small depth!

Will the HD598 do a better job here?

In a word: No.

I can't see if your signature or what gear you have, but the Q701 is easily more capable than the HD598 in soundstage. If you don't yet, you should feed the Q with a (steady diet of) surround processor like a DSS or Mixamp AND ALSO a good desktop-class amp like a Magni or Project Starlight (I think tube amps in particular help create a natural sense of "space" and add musicality/energy). You should get good sound with a Q plugged into a surround processor directly, but if you want "more" soundstage and more distinctly arranged placement, trust me and the Q701 thread that this headphone is one of the top best soundstage headphones you can get, period. Sure, the $1500 HD800 is better, but you also need to amp that headphone to hear it's full capabilities.

I will say it again: Q701 and others like it sound very good even on a humble setup, but like others of it's quality-level you've basically reached bang-for-buck endgame and further upgrades should be focused on your audio chain. Sure, you can get more expensive headphones, but you'll never be able to justify the gain from the price difference except as a luxury, and you'll need a high-grade system to back it up anyway.

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #26,367 of 48,562

I haven't had anyone complain that I'm too loud when gaming. I'm using the BoomPro with a Mixamp 5.8 on the PS4. The mic input volume is adjustable on the PS4, you know.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #26,368 of 48,562
I probably shoudn't spam this thread with that, but I just got into Bloodborne Alpha. Will post some impressions tomorrow (I hope) for anyone interested.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #26,370 of 48,562

I haven't had anyone complain that I'm too loud when gaming. I'm using the BoomPro with a Mixamp 5.8 on the PS4. The mic input volume is adjustable on the PS4, you know.

the PlayStation 4 does not recognise my voice commands with the BoomPro and Mixamp (if it's plugged directly to the DS4, it does and my Sony Wireless PULSE Elite too)
and yes I know about the adjustable mic input volume - I have played around with it (put it at the lowest) and I still get the same issue (it's booming on streams)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back