Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #25,861 of 48,562
  Titan main (both subclasses look awesome) and Hunter alt (Bladedancer FTW).  Warlock if I get sick of the other two.  :-D

I'm loving the idea of the Sunsinger. I absolutely love playing support/utility roles in these kinds of games. I was the best siren I knew in BL2, and that's not just me tooting my own horn. If the others in the party had at least a tiny amount of skill I could keep them alive throughout anything while still contributing a considerable amount of damage to any enemies. People that stood in the fire, well, they weren't worth the effort. CC's, healing, area control, I love all of those things at the cost of lower damage output. The better I can control the field of play the less damage the enemies can do and I don't need to throw as much bust damage as others.

Plus, the Sunsinger seems like it may end up being one of the less popular subclasses. Everyone loves to be the hero.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #25,862 of 48,562
Axel, don't forget to post impressions of the HP200 when you have time, especially once you get used to the alcantaras. These can use some more publicity in this thread, as they still tend to get overlooked.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #25,863 of 48,562

I'm loving the idea of the Sunsinger. I absolutely love playing support/utility roles in these kinds of games. I was the best siren I knew in BL2, and that's not just me tooting my own horn. If the others in the party had at least a tiny amount of skill I could keep them alive throughout anything while still contributing a considerable amount of damage to any enemies. People that stood in the fire, well, they weren't worth the effort. CC's, healing, area control, I love all of those things at the cost of lower damage output. The better I can control the field of play the less damage the enemies can do and I don't need to throw as much bust damage as others.

Plus, the Sunsinger seems like it may end up being one of the less popular subclasses. Everyone loves to be the hero.

I love playing tanks and healers in MMO's, as well as the complex support classes..  You're right, everyone wants to be the hero, nobody wants to tank or heal.  I think it's mostly because those two jobs tend to take a lot more skill (in MMO's) of a different type.  The reason I'm not too interested in the Sunsinger is that most of the support role will be based on just being there (passive aura effect) vs the Defender Titan that needs to strategically place his bubble.

Also, if you believe Datto, the Sunsinger is actually potentially a very potent DPS class.  The Striker Titan gets the flashbang grenades which are amazing support in PvE as it stuns enemies in a small radius for a few seconds.

I'm not saying you should play Titan; just saying that Titan is also a utility class but of a different flavor.  Hunter is the only class that seems to be straight dps with both subclasses.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #25,864 of 48,562

I love playing tanks and healers in MMO's, as well as the complex support classes..  You're right, everyone wants to be the hero, nobody wants to tank or heal.  I think it's mostly because those two jobs tend to take a lot more skill (in MMO's) of a different type.  The reason I'm not too interested in the Sunsinger is that most of the support role will be based on just being there (passive aura effect) vs the Defender Titan that needs to strategically place his bubble.

Also, if you believe Datto, the Sunsinger is actually potentially a very potent DPS class.  The Striker Titan gets the flashbang grenades which are amazing support in PvE as it stuns enemies in a small radius for a few seconds.

I'm not saying you should play Titan; just saying that Titan is also a utility class but of a different flavor.  Hunter is the only class that seems to be straight dps with both subclasses.

Being able to buff just by being in the area ensures that you're not relegated to being a "healbot" of sorts. It lets you take part in the firefights while still empowering your party. Sure there's a bit less of the flashiness that everyone likes but it's all about end numbers really. If everyone lives and the enemies fall around me, I'm doing my job properly. If I can do that while shooting said enemies in the face, then I'm enjoying my job that much more.

You tank, I heal/buff, others provide big damages and we're golden. :D And even then it still seems like the game plays well when all players are DPS builds.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #25,865 of 48,562
Im doing Warlock then Hunter. I'm a sucker for fast characters. Not a fan of Tanks in general.

OMG YES. Redbox has Last of Us Remastered, so I'm gonna rent that when I get off work. So... Xillia and Diablo will need a few days break.

Now if only they actually updated their site so it showed ps4 games for rent instead of me having to go to every redbox to find them...

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #25,866 of 48,562

Being able to buff just by being in the area ensures that you're not relegated to being a "healbot" of sorts. It lets you take part in the firefights while still empowering your party. Sure there's a bit less of the flashiness that everyone likes but it's all about end numbers really. If everyone lives and the enemies fall around me, I'm doing my job properly. If I can do that while shooting said enemies in the face, then I'm enjoying my job that much more.

You tank, I heal/buff, others provide big damages and we're golden. :D And even then it still seems like the game plays well when all players are DPS builds.

Good points.  I'm not sure the all-dps model will work when it comes to hard-mode strikes and the raids.  It'll be good to have a well-balanced group.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #25,867 of 48,562
Not to turn this into the Destiny thread, but I'm looking forward to the Vault of Glass super hard challenges with you guys someday.

I liked the warlord for entirely flashy reasons... The cloth robes, the idea of a wizard in space after so much time playing gun games... But in the beta, I liked it for area control (the super) and how the void walker subclass let you use that burst damage more often. The other thing about the beta was that I ended up doing amazingly well with the Titan striker for some reason, the hunter's speed wasn't that much faster for me.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #25,868 of 48,562
Not to turn this into the Destiny thread, but I'm looking forward to the Vault of Glass super hard challenges with you guys someday.

I liked the warlord for entirely flashy reasons... The cloth robes, the idea of a wizard in space after so much time playing gun games... But in the beta, I liked it for area control (the super) and how the void walker subclass let you use that burst damage more often. The other thing about the beta was that I ended up doing amazingly well with the Titan striker for some reason, the hunter's speed wasn't that much faster for me.

Well, there is a Destiny thread now that you mention it...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730736/destiny

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #25,869 of 48,562
Just wanted to post that I finally have my PS4 and a 2011 Astro Mixamp paired with some Q701s and it is amazing. Thank you to MLE and everyone else that has contributed to this thread. I never realized what I was missing. I don't even have an amp yet but the detail and depth and refined bass is so great. I can only imagine how these will open up once amped further. I'm thinking a Schiit Vali, unless anyone has another suggestion.

Also, add me to the list of people hyped for Destiny. It's basically what got me moving on procuring my setup. I have my Limited Edition copy pre-ordered at Amazon. I'll be starting with the Warlock class. My psn name is DuneDude if anyone wants to play co-op or do some raids eventually.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #25,870 of 48,562
Just wanted to post that I finally have my PS4 and a 2011 Astro Mixamp paired with some Q701s and it is amazing. Thank you to MLE and everyone else that has contributed to this thread. I never realized what I was missing. I don't even have an amp yet but the detail and depth and refined bass is so great. I can only imagine how these will open up once amped further. I'm thinking a Schiit Vali, unless anyone has another suggestion.

Also, add me to the list of people hyped for Destiny. It's basically what got me moving on procuring my setup. I have my Limited Edition copy pre-ordered at Amazon. I'll be starting with the Warlock class. My psn name is DuneDude if anyone wants to play co-op or do some raids eventually.

I'm jelly...

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #25,872 of 48,562
Hi Everyone! I'm trying to decide between the HD598, AKG 612, and AKGQ701. I've spent hours looking at mixed reviews between all of them. I am having a really really difficult time deciding between the three. I would be using them for heavy gaming, listening to movie soundtracks, Legend of Korra Soundtrack and watching actual movies. I am really torn between the three and would love some responses :) Planning on using my 2013 astro mix amp pro. What external amp should I get and what cable is necessary to attach with Astro Mixamp? I'm thinking of going with the AKG 612 I've heard it's better than the Q701. Can't stress how much I would appreciate multiple responses.

Thank you guys again this has been a great forum for narrowing my search!
Lastly should I get a portable external amp like FiiOx1 for the astro mix amp?

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #25,873 of 48,562
  Hi Everyone! I'm trying to decide between the HD598, AKG 612, and AKGQ701. I've spent hours looking at mixed reviews between all of them. I am having a really really difficult time deciding between the three. I would be using them for heavy gaming, listening to movie soundtracks, Legend of Korra Soundtrack and watching actual movies. I am really torn between the three and would love some responses :) Planning on using my 2013 astro mix amp pro. What external amp should I get and what cable is necessary to attach with Astro Mixamp? I'm thinking of going with the AKG 612 I've heard it's better than the Q701. Can't stress how much I would appreciate multiple responses.

Thank you guys again this has been a great forum for narrowing my search!
Lastly should I get a portable external amp like FiiOx1 for the astro mix amp?

Depends on the budget. If You have the money go for Q701,
then buy one of the amps mentioned in the first post of this thread
and connect it with 3.5mm to rca cable
Get a desktop amp

And what is most important, get hyped for Destiny

I'm afraid I won't be able to play with You guys, even though I work the afternoon shift right now the timezone difference might be too big.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #25,874 of 48,562
Hahahaha I am super hyped for Destiny! Do you really think the Q701 is the best all around? Not really questioning just want to be sure. How is the FiiO E17 or Shiit Magni?. What would I need to plug it into my Astro mix amp? If I wanted to use the one of the headsets with my iPhone/Macbook pro how would I connect from the FiiO E17 or Shiit Magni? Does the headset plug into the mix amp or amp? Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back