Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #25,696 of 48,562
I've got a challenge for you all. Help me find a headphone with these requirements
wink.gif

I am looking for a gaming headphone that is great for open world games. I want the world to feel really open like I'm really there. I want to hear wind and rain beautifully with crickets in the background and wildlife sounds like birds etc. I want the sounds to be natural and of good quality. I'm an open world and RPG lover so it's mainly towards those types of games. My ideal sound would basically need to replicate air, like I mentioned being in an open field of Forrest and nothing but pure air and a Pureness to the sound as you would expect outside.

I want full immersion and every sound to be appreciated. I have a Mixamp pro and console. Soundstage needs to really large. I've been looking at the

K712
Q701
HD600

How are these for my uses?

Please help me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

I hate to say it, since so many people here love DH, but if you don't want your nature and crickets to sound like they're in a bathroom, I suggest you get a Recon.  I don't mind DH and you get used to the weird reverb after a while, but it's definitely there.  If you want the most natural nature sounds, the reverb has got to go.

Regarding your headphones, It'd say grab an AKG and an amp.  I <3 my Q701 and the K712 is supposed to sound even better if you can afford it.

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #25,697 of 48,562
The Q701, K612 would be my recommendations. Or a Stax SR407 if you could afford Stax. It's treble is... just otherworldy. So crisp, so vibrant, without the tizziness of standard bright headphones.

I think the K712 is a bit too warm to represent what he is asking for, though buying K702 pads and using them on the 712 would be ideal.

Oh Mad, you'd love the 560... The 400i is letting me down a bit in the treble [the lack of air is really hurting it sometimes]. The bass difference between the two is also pretty small... I think I might prefer the 560 because you get more texture, detail and depth in exchange for a bit less punch...
Both amazing headphones at their respectable MSRPs...
Regardless, I haven't heard the LCD-2/HE-400, but the 560/400i will not probably give you that kind of bass presence, I am afraid...

This is just a taste of what's coming in the fully-fledged comparison 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #25,698 of 48,562
  Oh Mad, you'd love the 560... The 400i is letting me down a bit in the treble [the lack of air is really hurting it sometimes]. The bass difference between the two is also pretty small... I think I might prefer the 560 because you get more texture, detail and depth in exchange for a bit less punch...
Both amazing headphones at their respectable MSRPs...
Regardless, I haven't heard the LCD-2/HE-400, but the 560/400i will not probably give you that kind of bass presence, I am afraid...

This is just a taste of what's coming in the fully-fledged comparison 
smily_headphones1.gif

I too prefer the 560 from what I head in Chicago. Granted it was before the 400i was completely finalized but it was close to the end of development, so that could change my opinions. I preferred the lowered bass of the 560 because it allowed the mids to come through better and the detail in the treble range was a noticeable improvement. At that time the 400i was just a bit too "fun" for my tastes. I'll have to hear a production version to see if that holds true. The 400i also seemed a tad more sibilant than the 560 when I compared them side-by-side.

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #25,699 of 48,562
I too prefer the 560 from what I head in Chicago. Granted it was before the 400i was completely finalized but it was close to the end of development, so that could change my opinions. I preferred the lowered bass of the 560 because it allowed the mids to come through better and the detail in the treble range was a noticeable improvement. At that time the 400i was just a bit too "fun" for my tastes. I'll have to hear a production version to see if that holds true. The 400i also seemed a tad more sibilant than the 560 when I compared them side-by-side.

Yup, the treble is more subdued but there's a certain range (might be upper midrange) that might cause some hardness or harshness.
I'll say that the key advantagesthe 560 has is naturalness, openness and effortlessnes.
Sometimes the 400i mids might be a bit too shouty, some instruments (guitar, violin, piano,...) might lack that air as they linger in the air less. The bass might mask that tiny bit of detail, the treble could use a bit more presence or the soundstage might feel a bit cramped...
Mind you, it is not nowhere near to a point that'd deter just in direct comparison.
The 560 is just that more expensive, polished ruby,while the 400i is just that ruby with a few rough edges, albeit cheaper.
Both deserve praise for what they do brilliantly and I'd recommend both in a heart beat (even for gaming), the 400i is a really good value IMO.it still totally destroys most if not all the competition, although the soundstage is definitely on the smaller size.
More detailed comparisons coming later :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #25,700 of 48,562
No, no. I prefer less treble nowadays. I'm simply saying if expansive, airy soundstage is a must, good treble is helpful. I'm sure the 560 beats the 400i in that regard. That being said, I prefer a softer, more intimate approach to my headphones nowadays for my music, as in bass and mids THEN treble. Virtual surround takes care of soundstage deficiencies for movie/gaming use, enough for me anyways.

I'm 100% positive I'd prefer the 400i over the 560, same way i prefer the Mad Dog over the Alpha Dog, despite knowing the Alpha Dog is better overall. It's also the reaosn I prefer the Annie over the K712. The Annie is more intimate, while the K712 has more soundstage and airiness at the expense of a little body and forwardness.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #25,701 of 48,562
No, no. I prefer less treble nowadays. I'm simply saying if expansive, airy soundstage is a must, good treble is helpful. I'm sure the 560 beats the 400i in that regard. That being said, I prefer a softer, more intimate approach to my headphones nowadays for my music, as in bass and mids THEN treble. Virtual surround takes care of soundstage deficiencies for movie/gaming use, enough for me anyways.

I'm 100% positive I'd prefer the 400i over the 560, same way i prefer the Mad Dog over the Alpha Dog, despite knowing the Alpha Dog is better overall. It's also the reaosn I prefer the Annie over the K712. The Annie is more intimate, while the K712 has more soundstage and airiness at the expense of a little body and forwardness.

Very well. Then I guess you're set... They're brilliant headphones still, so you'll definitely love them.
Everyone will.
Can't go wrong really.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #25,702 of 48,562
Nevermind, I got too excited and forgot about the lack of AC3 input.  

"SBX Pro Studio can be switched off, when listening to high-quality lossless audio, so that you may get to enjoy the songs unprocessed, in the way you desire."

OPTICAL IN!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732171/creative-sound-blaster-e5-headphone-amp-usb-dac-with-otg-toslink-aptx-recording-more#post_10830957

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #25,703 of 48,562
So, it's still useless for console gamers? BAD FORM, Creative. WOW. I was about to sing Hallelujah...

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #25,704 of 48,562
I want full immersion and every sound to be appreciated. I have a Mix-amp pro and console. Sound stage needs to really large. I've been looking at the
K712
Q701
HD600
How are these for my uses?

Please help me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

I really doubt the Mix-amp will be able to fully drive the 300-Ohm HD600, without also getting a dedicated headphone amplifier to daisy chain off the Mix-amp.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #25,705 of 48,562
I want full immersion and every sound to be appreciated. I have a Mixamp pro and console. Soundstage needs to really large. I've been looking at the

Please help me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

for just gaming, (without an amp) I d just take something like ma900,hd598, if you need more immersion you can try Fidelio X1..   something like hd600 could be an overkill for just gaming imo..

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #25,706 of 48,562
Has anyone seen anything on the Turtle Beach TAC recently? I can't seem to find many details on it other than it is supposed to release later this year and supports DTS. People keep saying it is going to be a mixamp killer but I am trying to understand why that is.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #25,707 of 48,562
Has anyone seen anything on the Turtle Beach TAC recently? I can't seem to find many details on it other than it is supposed to release later this year and supports DTS. People keep saying it is going to be a mixamp killer but I am trying to understand why that is.

Because if it's the same in every way as the Mixamp but uses DTSHX instead of DH, Mixamp will be dead.  DTS Headphone X is way better.  From the spec sheet it seems to do everything else the Mixamp does, and even includes bluetooth pairing so you can mix your phone with in-game sounds.  Since the Mixamp doesn't have particularly impressive SQ, it's not a stretch to imagine the TAC will be on par.

As to hearing anything about it, I haven't.  But I'll be sure to do some digging at PAX this weekend.  TB should have a booth...

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #25,708 of 48,562
Because if it's the same in every way as the Mixamp but uses DTSHX instead of DH, Mixamp will be dead.  DTS Headphone X is way better.  From the spec sheet it seems to do everything else the Mixamp does, and even includes bluetooth pairing so you can mix your phone with in-game sounds.  Since the Mixamp doesn't have particularly impressive SQ, it's not a stretch to imagine the TAC will be on par.

As to hearing anything about it, I haven't.  But I'll be sure to do some digging at PAX this weekend.  TB should have a booth...

Awesome to hear. I was interested based on DTS alone but didn't realize it also does Bluetooth pairing, pretty cool. I am intrigued to see the price point as well. Enjoy PAX and let us know if you hear anything!

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #25,710 of 48,562
Guys,
I may make a payday impulse buy, but I need help. Which Marantz receiver did Mad have/would I want? I've finally accepted that my entry-level Yamaha does some weird sucking-out of the lower mids (audible in all my hp and speakers) and generally holds back the audio quality, and eBay prices are really attractive.

If I'm just being crazy though, feel free to talk me out of it.

Grenade Out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back