Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #25,051 of 48,562
I've gone through so many headphones, I can't even remember lol. I have own two other Shures (840 and 1840), though, so you may be right. I think it was the 1840, hurt when I had sold it, but soon after discovered the K612 for a fraction of the cost.

I have the 1540, I use them with a Apollo twin and MacBook pro for recording music and video editing p.s I can't believe any of them portable usb dac/headphone amps get good reviews on what hifi!

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #25,052 of 48,562
I went and rented killzone 3 for Playstation Now. One thing is for certain: Playstation Now is (at least currently, in the BETA) only outputting in stereo. Absolutely no virtual surround cues. Just left/right and in between. In fact, rear cues actually sounded like they were in front of me for some reason.

latency is decent, and quality is... well i never played this game, so I can't be certain it isn't compressded looking in comparison to the game running off the PS3 itself, instead of the PS4 through streaming.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #25,053 of 48,562
I went and rented killzone 3 for Playstation Now. One thing is for certain: Playstation Now is (at least currently, in the BETA) only outputting in stereo. Absolutely no virtual surround cues. Just left/right and in between. In fact, rear cues actually sounded like they were in front of me for some reason.

latency is decent, and quality is... well i never played this game, so I can't be certain it isn't compressded looking in comparison to the game running off the PS3 itself, instead of the PS4 through streaming.

I just want to play the original silent hill and resident evil 2 when now finally comes to England!

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #25,054 of 48,562
They need at least 10x servers for PS Now to fly. Right now lag is too noticeable.

On a completely unrelated note, is there anybody who has Astros A50 and wishes to give the new usb transmitter a shot?

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #25,055 of 48,562
For the sb omni owners, I have a question :

Is there a way to just turn omni into an amp and amp up the volume for my mobo's realtek driver (alc892)?
I just wanted to test my motherboards realtek driver software's features and such but the volume is kinda low if I just plug in my headphones directly...
So yeah is that possible?

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #25,056 of 48,562
They need at least 10x servers for PS Now to fly. Right now lag is too noticeable.

On a completely unrelated note, is there anybody who has Astros A50 and wishes to give the new usb transmitter a shot?

Dunno how good your connection is, but the lag is minimal for me. It is definitely there, but a non-timing sensitive game wouldn't have problems at all. I get more lag streaming to the Vita than I do with PS Now.

Killzone 3 is a bad game to test though, since KZ has always had like a built in lag to the controls to give you a feel of 'added weight', which I think is utter BS. PS Now doesn't do KZ3 any favors.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #25,057 of 48,562
For the sb omni owners, I have a question :

Is there a way to just turn omni into an amp and amp up the volume for my mobo's realtek driver (alc892)?
I just wanted to test my motherboards realtek driver software's features and such but the volume is kinda low if I just plug in my headphones directly...
So yeah is that possible?

Not that I know of, sorry.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #25,058 of 48,562
Dunno how good your connection is, but the lag is minimal for me. It is definitely there, but a non-timing sensitive game wouldn't have problems at all. I get more lag streaming to the Vita than I do with PS Now.

Killzone 3 is a bad game to test though, since KZ has always had like a built in lag to the controls to give you a feel of 'added weight', which I think is utter BS. PS Now doesn't do KZ3 any favors.

I can't even connect to it 90% of the time, the network test fails more often than not

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #25,059 of 48,562
^You're going to have to upgrade your internet, I believe. Do a network connection test under settings to check your download and upload speed.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #25,060 of 48,562
^You're going to have to upgrade your internet, I believe. Do a network connection test under settings to check your download and upload speed.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the cause of this is that I'm based in Europe and I use US-based proxy server to connect. Still, the netcode could have been better

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #25,061 of 48,562
  Hello there,
I've started one thread and redirected here.
Here is my question :
I'm more of a gamer and music fan.
I've a creative ZXR sbx card and wanna use it for gaming and music.
I don't own any amp or dac or whatsoever.
for the past years I've been using gaming headset with virtual surround sound but now I wanna use sound card and audiophile headphone.
Here is my priorities :
1- large and big sound stage
2- I'm not bass head but like bass more than treable because very highs pierce my head
3- I've had big head and prefer big cups
4- I like closed back more than open but sound stage is very very more than important to me
These are my options :
First if you think there is another pair please don't hesitate to tell me.
1- HD 800
2- HD 700
3- HD 650
4- DT 990 600 ohm
5- DT 990 250 ohm
6- K701
7- K712
8- Denon 7000
9- Denon 7100
10- T1
11- T90
12- Razer Kraken Forged
And one another question :
I wanna use creative surround sound but is there any headphone amp or dac that I can connect to ZXR and benefit its sbx system without any distortion?
Because I've heard that I can't use PC virtual surround sound with dacs.
Thanks in advance for your time and help

I have Soundblaster Z, and ive tried AD700, Sennheiser PC360, and Q701. Q701 is the best for competitive use in CS:GO.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #25,063 of 48,562
Played some Homefront today with my Omni and HP100.  Homefront has some janky issues regarding sound, but the surround sound is pretty noticeable in the first stage, especially when a tank comes by destroying all your cover.  

I also played some Blops 2 today, and the extra polish is immediately noticeable.  The sound quality is fantastic, but sometimes the vocals sound a bit distant with the Omni.  I didn't have this problem with Homefront so I'm not sure what is causing that.  Also, I don't know if this is normal, but whenever I adjust volume using the Omni, I get kicked out of my full screen game... not a big deal because I don't have to adjust volume too often, but still rather annoying.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #25,064 of 48,562
  Played some Homefront today with my Omni and HP100.  Homefront has some janky issues regarding sound, but the surround sound is pretty noticeable in the first stage, especially when a tank comes by destroying all your cover.  

I also played some Blops 2 today, and the extra polish is immediately noticeable.  The sound quality is fantastic, but sometimes the vocals sound a bit distant with the Omni.  I didn't have this problem with Homefront so I'm not sure what is causing that.  Also, I don't know if this is normal, but whenever I adjust volume using the Omni, I get kicked out of my full screen game... not a big deal because I don't have to adjust volume too often, but still rather annoying.

I play in windowed-fullscreen whever it's offered.  This lets you alt-tab without drama and would likely fix this issue as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back